Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i
BMW's Hide-a-Hitch Reciever rattle

Does anybody here have the Hide-a-Hitch style trailer reciever like the one I got when I bought my new 2013 X3? I've had the car less than a year and just now got a chance to use it to pull a small ATV trailer. All the way home from the trailer store the thing rattled, squeeked, and banged noise through the car making it impossible to ignore. I clamped the reciever down to the ball-mount taking any movement out of those parts but it's still noisy. There seems to be a lot of loose free-play between BMW's removable reciever and BMW's frame mount bracket and that's where all the noise is coming from.

Have any of you had this problem and if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any helpful advice
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Did you push the receiver into the vehicle mount until the lever switched from red to green? It won't sit snugly if the dial still shows red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog12345 View Post
Did you push the receiver into the vehicle mount until the lever switched from red to green? It won't sit snugly if the dial still shows red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App
That's one of the problems, I can't get it to turn green though the latch seems to have snapped into place. Once the latch snaps into place, you can't remove the reciever without turning the lever to release it. Also, I can't get it to lock either.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashemire View Post
That's one of the problems, I can't get it to turn green though the latch seems to have snapped into place. Once the latch snaps into place, you can't remove the receiver without turning the lever to release it. Also, I can't get it to lock either.
That sounds strange, I haven't run into those issues but it sounds like it might not be locking in place completely. You might need to swing by the dealer have them check it out.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
That sounds strange, I haven't run into those issues but it sounds like it might not be locking in place completely. You might need to swing by the dealer have them check it out.
I stopped by the dealer today and tried to show him what problems I was having. I removed the reciever and had a little trouble aligning it back up to put it back in. Once I got it aligned, I shoved it back in hard and it clicked into place and turned "green". I guess I was being too "BMW" with it and should have given it a big "Chevy" shove when putting it in. I guess the key is to be a little more forceful with it.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the responses
Old 03-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
For anyone else reading this thread, it's dangerous to pull a trailer with this hitch showing red. It shows green when fully seated in the bracket. I also make sure that the key lock is turned to the lock position so that the release can't be turned all the way to removal. I don't want that hitch coming loose while I'm pulling a trailer!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
If you are talking about the offical BMW hitch I don't have that problem. It is very solid so perhaps you don't have it install correctly. Like the previous poster said the dial with change colors.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
If you are talking about the offical BMW hitch I don't have that problem. It is very solid so perhaps you don't have it install correctly. Like the previous poster said the dial with change colors.
Yes, it says it's a BMW hitch on the sticker, even calls out a part number #2157696.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X335i
BMW's Hide-a-Hitch Reciever rattle

"Now I need to remove the back plate so that my bike rack will fit into to receiver."

You may find it easier to trim a fraction of an inch off the bike rack (as I did with mine) rather than trying to remove that back plate. Also, the back plate prevents you from running something too far into the receiver and hitting the bumper cover.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 X335i
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmetzger View Post
"Now I need to remove the back plate so that my bike rack will fit into to receiver."

You may find it easier to trim a fraction of an inch off the bike rack (as I did with mine) rather than trying to remove that back plate. Also, the back plate prevents you from running something too far into the receiver and hitting the bumper cover.
Yea, I am having that debate now about which to modify. Sucks that I either need to cut a brand new bike rack or a brand new hitch.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1 View Post
Yea, I am having that debate now about which to modify. Sucks that I either need to cut a brand new bike rack or a brand new hitch.
I had the same problem (Yakima bike rack). Thules fit with no problem (and no surprise since the hitch assembly is OEMed by Thule). Consider returning your new bike rack if possible.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 2.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I had the same problem (Yakima bike rack). Thules fit with no problem (and no surprise since the hitch assembly is OEMed by Thule). Consider returning your new bike rack if possible.
I have not bought it yet...I though I read that the thule hitch I wanted had the same issue. I am looking at the T2. I well have to do more investigating. Thanks

Last edited by BL1; 06-18-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fix rack name