Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Question 2002 bm2 x5 trasmmission failsafe program after the heats up

hi to every one ,i need litle help with my 2002 bmw x5 , the trasmission failsafe won't come on til the car warms up and the service egines goes "off" and right after my gauges die, temperature gauges goes all the way to red.. and i have a code p1747.?
my bmw runs fine when its cold, no problems even but service engine its "on"? any ideas, what the problem would be?

Last edited by 408sanjosebmw; 03-30-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your thread over to the X5 forum.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
First if you have a Service Engine Soon light on get it scan and find out why you have it.

Could be the temperature sensor in the wiring harness inside the trans, or the thermostat that is located near the radiator and it has failed so the hot fluid from the trans is NOT being circulated and cooled.

Get an infrared thermometer and see what the temp readings are.

Last edited by upallnight; 04-05-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM

yes, service light is "on " but only when the car is cold, once the car warms up the light goes off and trasmmission failsafe program comes on. i check my radiator was really cold from the bottom, and hoses on the top of the raditor were extremly hot.. so im thiking i have a bad thermostat or a clogged radiator . i'll replay back as soon i fix it
thanks so much..
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
You can scan the car when it is cold and find out why you have the service light. Since you have an OBD II connection under the dash you can get a OBD II scanner, I use a bluetooth scanner and use an app call TORQUE on my phone and tablet to scan the X for trouble codes and to clear them. The app is free and a bluetooth scanner can be brought on eBay for as little as $20.00.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 PM

I fix my problem... I took it to the shop for a diagnosis ($150 dllrs) and they said my ABS control module was the whole problem..i only had service engine light on and failsafe mode would come on once the service light went off ,eventually my gauges drop to zero and my temperature gauge would hit the red.. I had a p1747 code. one more thing to mention my radiator was hot on the top, and ice cold on the bottom, hose on top would get lot of pressure and lower would get nothing of pressure plus it would be cold all the time. but now everything works to perfection I have pressure on my hoses my radiator gets hot and no more dead gauges or false temperature reading..
t