Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing yet
2014 X3 335i First BMW

Hello,

I am about to order my first BMW! From Afghanistan of all places... I was wondering if anyone could comment on the load out/price and what they have thought of their X3 overall? Any problems with reliability? What does insurance/gas run you per month? Here it is!

2014 X3 35i
Titanium Silver / Mojave "Nevada" Leather / Fine line Wave Trim

"M" Sport Package w/DHP (is DHP really that much different? worth the $1400?)
Premium Package
Cold Weather
Driver Assist
Technology
High Beam Assist
Premium Sound - (how does this sound?)
Cargo Net

Total price after T/T/L = $59,908

Last edited by skiguy; 04-28-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
You have a great spec for the car. Premium audio is worth it. I have DHP on my 550i. I personally do not believe it to be worth the cost, however others here like it. I would look at BMW Euro Delivery to save 11%. If you are in the military, BMW may have a military program. Mojave (brown) will not look good with the silver in the opinion of this architect. I suggest black.

My wife and have the 2014 X3 28i. I really regret not getting the 35i. It is a superb engine and powerful.

We live in River Forest, Illinois. One of my wife's former students and US Diplomat, Anne Smedinghoff, was killed in Afghanistan 2 weeks ago. If you are in the military and the opportunity arises please kill a few Taliban in her name.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 04-28-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Your spec will yield a compelling X3. I urge you to add DHP. Variable dampers permit you to adjust the suspension setting from comfort to sport. Your X3 will be fast - and DHP will allow you to more fully exploit the potential of your X3 35i M Sport in a variety of settings. The difference between comfort and sport is the edge that imparts a more secure "button down" feel, not just in the twisties, but also when you need to drive quickly on an interstate. Moreover, DHP will also give you sport variable steering. BMW EPS is not perfect, but I find the sport variable version in my X3 35i M Sport to be surprisingly engaging.
The choice of titanium and Mohave will complement and reinforce the very sporty persona of your X3 M Sport. Mohave is the less conventional, but more fashionable, visually interesting choice as opposed to the more obvious expected black. The black dash, headliner, and interior elements create a harmonious stage that frames the visual "punch" of Mohave. Mohave adds interest without being too obtrusive. Moreover, Wave wood provides a unifying influence and serves to accentuate the interiors very sporty lines by visually inviting your eye to appreciate the subtlety of the interior's complex surfaces. Generally, your overall pallet is very "M" - sporty, elegant, but serious a purposeful BMW.

Your X3 35i M Sport is a passionate choice. Many here may have different opinions but in the end it is your X3 and it should reflect your needs and desires. To the extent you are seeking opinions - I heartily concur with your choices.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
2014 X3 335i First BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Your spec will yield a compelling X3. I urge you to add DHP. Variable dampers permit you to adjust the suspension setting from comfort to sport. Your X3 will be fast - and DHP will allow you to more fully exploit the potential of your X3 35i M Sport in a variety of settings. The difference between comfort and sport is the edge that imparts a more secure "button down" feel, not just in the twisties, but also when you need to drive quickly on an interstate. Moreover, DHP will also give you sport variable steering. BMW EPS is not perfect, but I find the sport variable version in my X3 35i M Sport to be surprisingly engaging.
The choice of titanium and Mohave will complement and reinforce the very sporty persona of your X3 M Sport. Mohave is the less conventional, but more fashionable, visually interesting choice as opposed to the more obvious expected black. The black dash, headliner, and interior elements create a harmonious stage that frames the visual "punch" of Mohave. Mohave adds interest without being too obtrusive. Moreover, Wave wood provides a unifying influence and serves to accentuate the interiors very sporty lines by visually inviting your eye to appreciate the subtlety of the interior's complex surfaces. Generally, your overall pallet is very "M" - sporty, elegant, but serious a purposeful BMW.

Your X3 35i M Sport is a passionate choice. Many here may have different opinions but in the end it is your X3 and it should reflect your needs and desires. To the extent you are seeking opinions - I heartily concur with your choices.
Where is the "like" button here!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your insight! I was going for sporty on the outside and luxury sport on the inside, I think your words describe perfectly what I was attempting. I don't see a lot of cars with brown leather, and when I see it, it pops out to me and just looks more classy I think. I have added DHP, from all of the posts I have read about it, I do not think I will regret it. Now I have to wait 4 months! This will be the longest wait of my life...
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM

Lease Vs. Buy

Quote:

Capobranco - Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Here is my next predicament. The following are my two options regarding my current situation. I have only 5 months left to accumulate the savings I need for this vehicle. I can save $20,000 exactly before having to pay in full when I return home. I can either:

A. Put 20k down and purchase the vehicle outright, 60 month loan. With an estimated payment of $728 per month or less depending on my interest rate. This will allow me to have the feeling of "owning" a vehicle, and customize as needed. But the downside is the large payment up front. I usually change cars every 3 years, but I think I would stick it out for at least 4 with this car, I have never owned one as nice.

B. Put 10k down on a lease pay $700 a month for a 15,000 per year/36 months. I drive A LOT, probably up to 2,000 miles a month. I have a long commute to work, and I will have to move somewhere in the country and drive there next year when I PCS to another duty station. If I go the lease option, I can take the 10,000 and pay off the rest of my debt. I will have about $6,000 left in debt when I get home. So I can zero out when I get home, and pick up the least for about the same. If I ever get deployed again, I can just cancel my lease and walk away with no questions asked.

So I can either A, buy the car and bite a huge down payment and pay off my debt with large contributions to my credit cards over 6 months, or I can pay half that down payment, but then have to start saving in case of overmilage, but I would probably just trade into another BMW, which I think if you trade into a new car you don't pay the milage penalty right? Just thought I would get your take. And I am not too versed on leasing. What specific "numbers" should I make the dealer show me, and what sort of "threshold" do I want to make sure to stay under? Thank you sir!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Eye of the Wolf

I generally follow the old truism " Lease a new BMW - Buy a used BMW"

In general I believe it is better to keep your cash, and not put it into a depreciating asset. I would lease - putting as little money into the deal as possible. Although I have never availed myself of MSDs to lower the money factor, many here seem to have used this strategy to their advantage. I also like that a lease establishes a bottom. At the end of the lease, you can buy the car at the price specified in your agreement. Occasionally, it is possible to even buy the car and turn around and sell it for a profit to Carmax. Extra miles beyond 15K only cost .16 per mile - and BMW allows you to purchase additional miles up to 3 months before your lease return date. Moreover, after you lease/purchase your new BMW, you will probably receive an offer for a BMW credit card - take it. BMW credit allows you to redeem points earned, based on dollars spent, to buy additional lease miles. My purchases on my BMW credit card are paying for my "over" mileage on my leases.

Specific question;

Trade car that has excess mileage for new BMW? - It happens, but you should not count on excess mileage being waived. You can always roll your your excess mileage into a new lease. In general, I found the folks at BMWFS to be a good group - better than most - they want you to buy a new BMW.

Check out this concise lease primer - I think you will find it easy and you can run different scenarios;

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Alternatively - if you are going to put lots of miles on it - maybe more than 2000 a month, you might want to purchase. I would still go for small down payment - keep my cash - and pay a larger payment each month. Given historically low interest rates - why not use BMW's money. This is great if you find that you love the vehicle and decide you want to keep 6/7+ years. If you trade it in 3 years or you have to go overseas again and are forced to sell - you will take a hit. Either you are going to pay up front with a big down payment or you are going to take the hit when you sell assuming you are upside down. Common denominator - you are going to pay. It is generally true purchasing is cheaper than leasing if you hold on to the car.

Lots of ways to get to the final destination - your X3 35i M Sport. Lease vs. Purchase is such a conundrum - we have our own business so my situation is very different than yours
Hope this has been a little helpful. I can tell you that your X3 35i M Sport is worth a little aggravation - besides your pups will love you for it!

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-02-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I generally follow the old truism " Lease a new BMW - Buy a used BMW"

In general I believe it is better to keep your cash, and not put it into a depreciating asset. I would lease - putting as little money into the deal as possible. Although I have never availed myself of MSDs to lower the money factor, many here seem to have used this strategy to their advantage. I also like that a lease establishes a bottom. At the end of the lease, you can buy the car at the price specified in your agreement. Occasionally, it is possible to even buy the car and turn around and sell it for a profit to Carmax. Extra miles beyond 15K only cost .16 per mile - and BMW allows you to purchase additional miles up to 3 months before your lease return date. Moreover, after you lease/purchase your new BMW, you will probably receive an offer for a BMW credit card - take it. BMW credit allows you to redeem points earned, based on dollars spent, to buy additional lease miles. My purchases on my BMW credit card are paying for my "over" mileage on my leases.

Specific question;

Trade car that has excess mileage for new BMW? - It happens, but you should not count on excess mileage being waived. You can always roll your your excess mileage into a new lease. In general, I found the folks at BMWFS to be a good group - better than most - they want you to buy a new BMW.

Check out this concise lease primer - I think you will find it easy and you can run different scenarios;

http://www.leaseguide.com/calc.htm

Alternatively - if you are going to put lots of miles on it - maybe more than 2000 a month, you might want to purchase. I would still go for small down payment - keep my cash - and pay a larger payment each month. Given historically low interest rates - why not use BMW's money. This is great if you find that you love the vehicle and decide you want to keep 6/7+ years. If you trade it in 3 years or you have to go overseas again and are forced to sell - you will take a hit. Either you are going to pay up front with a big down payment or you are going to take the hit when you sell assuming you are upside down. Common denominator - you are going to pay. It is generally true purchasing is cheaper than leasing if you hold on to the car.

Lots of ways to get to the final destination - your X3 35i M Sport. Lease vs. Purchase is such a conundrum - we have our own business so my situation is very different than yours
Hope this has been a little helpful. I can tell you that your X3 35i M Sport is worth a little aggravation - besides your pups will love you for it!
Capo,

These are all compelling options. I will have to think it over in the next few months. I have always been the type of person to have as low of a monthly payment as I can. Unfortunately I never buy "base" model vehicles, so it is never as low as I would like! I have another question. How has your M sport package affected your off-road capabilities? I will very likely be living in a state with snow in the next few years as well, how does it perform in snow/rain? I won't be "off roading" exactly, but would probably want to traverse some trails in Colorado to get to a good hiking spot, or launch a boat at somepoint. Obviously this is no Jeep Grand Cherokee, but how does the M Sport package fair in non "perfect" road conditions?

Last edited by skiguy; 05-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 AM

So sorry to hear about your friend pharding, I will keep my eyes open for sure. This is my second tour and I have been in the Army for 11 years...going faster than I expected but defintely ready to never come back to the middle east again that's for sure!

Thanks for the input! I have always been a huge fan of brown leather. I was thinking black exterior, but I saw pics of the silver on this forum with the M Sport package and I couldn't turn it down. I don't like the black interior only because I live in GA and it it gets pretty warm. The brown I think breaks up the interior nicely so it distinguishes the seats from the rest of the car...but hopefully it looks good with silver! One of the main reasons I am considering DHP, is because there have been multiple people on this forum that say it is like having "3 different cars". Am I correct in saying that without DHP, I CANNOT adjust the "feel" of the car (soft or sporty). It would be nice to switch to the more comfortable modes for long drives, and sport modes for city driving...I hope the DHP is what everyone is saying it is...or can you switch between comfort and sport with ONLY the M sport?

I test drove the 28i and the 35i and was blown away by the responsivness of the 35i. The 28i was still very good compared to every crossover I tried but the 35i just gave me that "emotional rush" that I require when I am looking at a new car! How does your X3 hold up in the snow? Do you have a tow package on it? I tried going through BMW military sales, but with my USAA military discount and APR discount from USAA the price came out to about the same, plus the dealer in my hometown will build the car with only $1500 down, and I can save up for the next 5 months and put down a much larger down payment. So in the end it worked out. The "Base" price they started at was about $44k.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
Hope you get home safe. Thank you for your service.

Not sure how that color combo will work, I have not seen a mineral silver in person. I have the Mojave leather and absolutely love it. It is beautiful and looks great with the black headliner and floor. Every person who sees it compliments it.

With M sport package the DHP is only $1300, worth it in my opinion. If you want to free up some money in the build, do you really feel you need high beam assist? Do you drive mainly in town? If so, you might not even use it that often.

As far as insurance, I have USAA as well and my 6 month premium is about $500. (that is with a deductible of $500)

As far as gas.... I have not been getting very good mpg, and I am still babying it when driving due to breaking in the engine. Oh well, if I was concerned with getting great mpg I wouldnt have gotten a SAV with a 300 hp engine.
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 04-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
If you have kids using the car lighter color leather is not advised, i would consider darker color combination, My E90 beige did not age very well (6 years) but E46 darker color interior held very well after 6 years of use.
On my X3 and F30 we picked dark color interior, Light color steering wheel is not a good idea at all, it will look dirty in few months.
E90 2007
E46 2005

Last edited by IAS; 04-28-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM

IAS,

Does the Mojave leather make the "M" steering wheel a "lighter" color, or is it black in color? I do not have kids, but I do have two pups. I am meticulous when it comes to taking care of the interior of my car, so I think it should be fine, but I do appreciate your view, thank you.

Last edited by skiguy; 04-28-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 Msport
No, the steering wheel stays black.

I have the mojave interior. Do a thread search for 2014 vermillion red and I have pics posted of my interior.
2014 X3 35i. Vermillion Red Metallic, Leather Nevada Mojave, Fineline Wave Wood, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Package with Top View, Dynamic Handling Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Rear Manual Side Window Shades (for my new little baby girl )

Retired 2008 335 xi
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
IAS,

Does the Mojave leather make the "M" steering wheel a "lighter" color, or is it black in color? I do not have kids, but I do have two pups. I am meticulous when it comes to taking care of the interior of my car, so I think it should be fine, but I do appreciate your view, thank you.
I have a very large schutzhund trained German shepherd dog who is my best bud and constant companion....you will be fine. (My car is carbon black/oyster/wave - a more challenging canine combo - and we're good).

BTW the black "M" steering wheel is a very cool design and coordinates well with the black artfully sculpted dash.

Congrats on your very fine, fast, engaging, generally marvelous new ride! Return home safely!

Last edited by Capobranco; 04-28-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330CI
+1 for the M steering wheel. It feels good and the paddle shifters are a nice touch. My wife really liked them.

Thanks for your effort in the service