Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan
Neutral

Can you use Neutral only with the ignition ON and not the engine ON?
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I believe as long as your battery is not dead, you can put the car into neutral by turning on the electrical accessory mode and then the following:

1: Push the lever twice in to N
2: Push the lever to N and hold for 5 seconds
3: Transmission is now disengaged for 15 minutes after which it will re-lock itself.

I have not try this myself.

Last edited by The X Men; 04-30-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
Does anyone really like the electronic nature of the shifter? I have not orderd my X3 yet, but on my test drive(s) it drove both me and my wife nuts. Seems like it is something having been developed that no one really asked for.
Un-needed gadgetry IMHO. Someone educate me.........
Old 04-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
Does anyone really like the electronic nature of the shifter? I have not orderd my X3 yet, but on my test drive(s) it drove both me and my wife nuts. Seems like it is something having been developed that no one really asked for.
Most cars have electronic shifters now, even the one that looks like a traditional shifter. There is no longer a mechanical link from the shifter to the transmission, just a bunch of switches and relays. BMW should post some kind of shifter override procedure for towing. From what I understand, if the battery dies in your BMW, you need to take off the cover under the engine bay and unlock some kind of mechanical latch to get the car into neutral. Even the dealer and BMW road side assistant do not have information on this procedure.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Most cars have electronic shifters now, even the one that looks like a traditional shifter. There is no longer a mechanical link from the shifter to the transmission, just a bunch of switches and relays. BMW should post some kind of shifter override procedure for towing. From what I understand, if the battery dies in your BMW, you need to take off the cover under the engine bay and unlock some kind of mechanical latch to get the car into neutral. Even the dealer and BMW road side assistant do not have information on this procedure.
This is documented in a X3 training manual posted on another forum. Going from memory here...there is some sort of lever on the tranny housing that is moved with a screw. This places the tranny in N even with power off. When I get back to my office I'll look it up and see if I can post it.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM

According to a training manual posted on another X3 site, there are two modes of emergency transmission release (releasing from Park and into Neutral): electronic and manual.

Electronic (procedure valid if car cranks but does not start)
  1. Press start/stop, starter cranks and then stops
  2. Depress shifter release button on side of shifter
  3. Move shifter forward one notch and hold for exactly two seconds
  4. Release the shifter
  5. Move the shifter forward one notch
  6. Display shuld read "N"
Will remain in "N" for fifteen minutes (e.g., sufficent to load on flatbed tow truck). The documents say the vehicle must only be maneuvered and not towed.

Manual
  1. Raise vehicle and remove underbody panel
  2. Locate screw on transmission housing body that engages manual park release lever
  3. Screw the screw in all the way to engage the lever and release transmission from Park
The documents say that either procedure must only be performed by trained service personnel. The training document has a picture of the screw and the lever.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
It's different. I find the "push a button on top" to engage "P" un-natural. I find pushing the lever towards the front of the car to go into reverse un-natural. However, putting "R" on the other side of "N" from "D" and having to depress the unlock button on the side to go there is a good dafety feature especially with essentially zero tactile feedback as to the position of the shifter.

I'll get used to it. Most of the time it's in "D". If I am shifting manually, then it's in manual mode and it works just like my '05 X3 - forward is downshift and back is upshift.

The shifter was not a deal breaker for me in terms of buying the car.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiusp View Post
Can you use Neutral only with the ignition ON and not the engine ON?
Yes, page 183 of the 2013 X3 Owners' Manual (available online). Car wash procedure.

The X Men is correct. With engine on, set to "N", turn off engine (push On/Off one time). Transmission will move to "P" automatically after 15 minutes.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Yes, page 183 of the 2013 X3 Owners' Manual (available online). Car wash procedure.

The X Men is correct. With engine on, set to "N", turn off engine (push On/Off one time). Transmission will move to "P" automatically after 15 minutes.
I was thinking in terms of a scenario where the engine will not start and you need to put the car in neutral to order to get it on a tow truck.