Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: X%
AC not working 2001 X5

Looked through the blogs and did not appear to find my exact situation. AC stopped working after reliably producing 40F at the vents. Pressure test indicated 115 psi, so 134a does not appear to be low. AC belt is fine, but clutch does not engage. Since all fans work, I do not believe is is a Final Stage Resistor. Suspect other relay/fuse. Does anyone know how to trigger the AC clutch to check for a failed relay/fuse?

Thanks for the advice.
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
AC clutch is triggered by the DME. Does the aux fan in front of the radiator come on? Do you have a scanner for scanning for faults? I had a bad aux fan and the compressor wouldn't engaged. Scanned the X with my scanners (carsoft 6.5 and BMW Scanner 1.4) and they both indicated a bad fan. Replaced the fan and the AC is working again, just in time for summer.

Good Luck with your AC problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
I just got my X back today from the indy after having a new Aux fan installed. Old unit was doing the now it works, now it does not for the last few weeks. i ordered the replacement fan from an online source and it was broken when it arrived so I had to wait for the second unit to be sent out.
Now I'm back to frigid air blowing from the vents.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:05 PM

update on ac

Ac still not working. Here's my checklist:

1. double checked ac fuses (34,48) O.K.

2. aux fan begins to spin with +12 volts across terminals. Does anyone know know which pins to check for signal to fan at the connector. With car running, don't get any voltage across any of the three pairs with ac on. Help on wiring would be great.

3. unplugged ac high pressure switch. blog suggested this should trigger compressor clutch. no effect. Alternatively, blog suggests jumping leads to engage compressor clutch. There are 3 wires black-grey, yellow-green and brown. Anyone know which to jump? Also, if this switch is bad, is there a valve at this port, as with the high and low pressure service ports, so I can remove switch w/o removing 134a.

4. wired into the circuit is a temperature switch on the low port to the radiator. Don't see how this might be a problem. Does anyonbe know how to check?
5. double checked 134a pressure. still at 115psi.

Beginning to suspect temperature sensor in passenger compartment. Sometime I could hear a slight clicking when cabin temperature close to set value. Don't know how to get to where this might be.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Covell View Post
Ac still not working. Here's my checklist:

1. double checked ac fuses (34,48) O.K.

2. aux fan begins to spin with +12 volts across terminals. Does anyone know know which pins to check for signal to fan at the connector. With car running, don't get any voltage across any of the three pairs with ac on. Help on wiring would be great.

3. unplugged ac high pressure switch. blog suggested this should trigger compressor clutch. no effect. Alternatively, blog suggests jumping leads to engage compressor clutch. There are 3 wires black-grey, yellow-green and brown. Anyone know which to jump? Also, if this switch is bad, is there a valve at this port, as with the high and low pressure service ports, so I can remove switch w/o removing 134a.

4. wired into the circuit is a temperature switch on the low port to the radiator. Don't see how this might be a problem. Does anyonbe know how to check?
5. double checked 134a pressure. still at 115psi.

Beginning to suspect temperature sensor in passenger compartment. Sometime I could hear a slight clicking when cabin temperature close to set value. Don't know how to get to where this might be.

Thanks for any help.
The BIG 50 amp fuse behind the glove box is blown since you don't have voltage at the connector. The fuse is hot at all time. The two thick wires at the connector is + and -. The thin wire is the signal wire from the DME to pulse the fan. Only way that 50 amp fuse would blow is if the fan is bad. Even with 12 volts across the terminal the fan will not spin until it receive a ground signal from the DME. Like I said if you have a scanner that can scan the BMW HVAC modules you can verify if the fan is good or bad.

Check this post out:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...tml#post934471

Last edited by upallnight; 05-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 PM

"2. aux fan begins to spin with +12 volts across terminals. "

Change the fan as it should spin up and keep running. They only cost $135 but the labor to drop the front bumper will bump that up.
GL.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: x5
where did u get the fan for $135 ??
please send me the details so i can buy too.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM

PM sent.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 PM

new fan doesn't solve problem

Replacedaux fan today. Not a big job. Still no ac. Before I make my next step, I would like to ask where to find the 50 amp fuse behind the glove box. Looked into the courtesy light area, where there is a pull down panel, but no fuse. Fuse box has 50 amp fuses, but all look good. Engine compartment at glove box location has no fuses.

Can someone identify where this 50 amp fuse is??

Thanks,\
David
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Covell View Post
Replacedaux fan today. Not a big job. Still no ac. Before I make my next step, I would like to ask where to find the 50 amp fuse behind the glove box. Looked into the courtesy light area, where there is a pull down panel, but no fuse. Fuse box has 50 amp fuses, but all look good. Engine compartment at glove box location has no fuses.

Can someone identify where this 50 amp fuse is??

Thanks,\
David
Did you test to confirm that the fuse has power to them? The 50 amp fuse is right behind the glove box behind the pull down panel.

Did you test to see if you have power at the fan connector?

There is a spare 50 amp fuse also in that panel so it will not have current since it is not connected.