Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 08-22-2004, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
545i Auto Trans - 2004 (FL): Jolt/Jerk/Clunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do these things sound 'normal' to you?

BMW and the dealer service facility state that these conditions are 'normal':

From a speed of 30 mph (speed offered as example), as the gas pedal is released, to bring the vehicle to a stop or lower speed, when coasting, and/or while braking, as the vehicle begins to slow, the driver experiences a jerk/jolt forward a number times as the vehicle shifts/lurches down from gear to gear (the sensation seems to be caused by an abrupt increase, and then decrease in speed; at least that is what it if feels like, and sometimes it is associated with a clunking sound) as it comes to a final stop. Thus, as the transmission shifts downward from gear to gear so the passenger is correspondingly jerked.

[The above condition is said to be either related to [1] emission controls, or [2] “attributable to the tight relationship between the ‘valvetronic’ engine and the ‘steptronic’ transmission” as the reason for it.]

From a complete stop, when placed in reverse, and after releasing the brake pedal, without depressing the gas pedal, the vehicle suddenly moves in a backward motion and reaches a speed in excess of 5 miles per hour.
Ads by Google
Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDisappoint

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do these things sound 'normal' to you?

BMW and the dealer service facility state that these conditions are 'normal':

From a speed of 30 mph (speed offered as example), as the gas pedal is released, to bring the vehicle to a stop or lower speed, when coasting, and/or while braking, as the vehicle begins to slow, the driver experiences a jerk/jolt forward a number times as the vehicle shifts/lurches down from gear to gear (the sensation seems to be caused by an abrupt increase, and then decrease in speed; at least that is what it if feels like, and sometimes it is associated with a clunking sound) as it comes to a final stop. Thus, as the transmission shifts downward from gear to gear so the passenger is correspondingly jerked.

[The above condition is said to be either related to [1] emission controls, or [2] “attributable to the tight relationship between the ‘valvetronic’ engine and the ‘steptronic’ transmission” as the reason for it.]

From a complete stop, when placed in reverse, and after releasing the brake pedal, without depressing the gas pedal, the vehicle suddenly moves in a backward motion and reaches a speed in excess of 5 miles per hour.
I have an '04 545ia with 2,500 miles on it, and have never experienced anything other than completely flawless smooth transmission operations under all conditions. If it wasn't for the Tach, I'd hardly know then the gears change. That which you are describing is not sound normal for any vehicle, much less a BMW.

Last edited by kd2789mo; 08-22-2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2789mo
I have an '04 545ia with 2,500 miles on it, and have never experienced anything other than completely flawless smooth transmission operations under all conditions. If it wasn't for the Tach, I'd hardly know then the gears change. That which you are describing is not sound normal for any vehicle, much less a BMW.
You are fortunate indeed!

Mine has 900 miles on it, and too many of them have been back and forth to
service facilities.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:01 AM

go here for more information on this issue

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69842
Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM

August 2004 Motor Trend

August 2004 Motor Trend

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/luxu...ts/index3.html

Executive Privilege Road Test: 2004 BMW 545i vs. 2005 Cadillac STS

Variability is no problem, though, when it comes to BMW's 4.4-liter V-8. The Valvetronic engine deals with the airflow restriction of the throttle plate by eliminating it, instead controlling the amount of air ingested by the cylinders by varying valve lift electronically. Stepless variable valve timing for intake and exhaust camshafts and a fully variable intake manifold contribute to a broad, fat torque curve. Output is up, too, 35 horsepower over the previous, non-Valvetronic 4.4-liter engine. This new V-8 feels more powerful than its 325-horse rating might suggest. Part of that credit goes to the 545i's ZF six-speed automatic transmission; first gear is particularly short and gives the engine tremendous torque multiplication for launching off the line at a stoplight. There never seems to be any shortage of gear ratios for the transmission to apply to a given driving situation.

And there in lies another annoyance. One editor noted, "In brisk (but not wide-open throttle) acceleration, the engine seems to lunge from gear to gear, like a chained Rottweiler." Following a line of cars in traffic can prove difficult as well. Under semihard braking, the transmission aggressively forces downshifts, slowing the car unnaturally even after the driver has lifted off the brake pedal as the traffic begins to move again. To reduce the excessive retardation, the driver must step on the accelerator, initiating another forward lunge. Concluded one writer, "BMW needs to work on its throttle tip-in calibration and transmission phasing." Added another, "It's so hard to be smooth, especially at low speeds. Starting and stopping often come off abrupt, no matter how careful you are with the controls."
Old 09-07-2004, 08:39 AM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your transmission. If you and your BMW center need our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200425100234 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Thank you for the apology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkens
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m sorry to read about this problem with your transmission. If you and your BMW center need our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200425100234 so that we can help you more efficiently. If you prefer, you can email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR APOLOGY.

HOWEVER, I AM NOT SURE WHY BMW NA POSTS THESE 'SORRY NOTES'
ON THE VARIOUS BMW FORUM SITES. ONE MIGHT READ IT AND HAVE
THE IMPRESSION THAT BMW NA WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

YET, WHEN A BMW OWNER WITH A TECHNICAL PROBLEM LIKE MINE,
CALLS (800) 831-1117, ALL THAT ONE IS TOLD IS THAT "CUSTOMER SERVICE"
IS NOT TECHNICALLY TRAINED, AND TO TAKE THE VEHICLE BACK TO THE
SERVICE FACILITY; AFTER I INFORMED BMW NA "CUSTOMER SERVICE",
THAT THE SERVICE FACILITY REPEATEDLY STATED THAT THE VEHICLE'S
CONDITION AS DESCRIBED WAS "NORMAL," BMW NA STATED THAT IF
THEY SAY ITS NORMAL, IT MUST BE NORMAL SINCE BMW CUSTOMER
SERVICE IS NOT TECHNICALLY TRAINED.

HOWEVER, IT IS CLEAR FROM THE ROAD TESTS CONDUCTED
BY MOTOR TREND AND EDMUNDS THAT MY PROBLEM IS NOT
"NORMAL," NOR ISOLATED:

August 2004 Motor Trend

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/lux...sts/index3.html

Executive Privilege Road Test: 2004 BMW 545i vs. 2005 Cadillac STS

Variability is no problem, though, when it comes to BMW's 4.4-liter V-8. The Valvetronic engine deals with the airflow restriction of the throttle plate by eliminating it, instead controlling the amount of air ingested by the cylinders by varying valve lift electronically. Stepless variable valve timing for intake and exhaust camshafts and a fully variable intake manifold contribute to a broad, fat torque curve. Output is up, too, 35 horsepower over the previous, non-Valvetronic 4.4-liter engine. This new V-8 feels more powerful than its 325-horse rating might suggest. Part of that credit goes to the 545i's ZF six-speed automatic transmission; first gear is particularly short and gives the engine tremendous torque multiplication for launching off the line at a stoplight. There never seems to be any shortage of gear ratios for the transmission to apply to a given driving situation.

And there in lies another annoyance. One editor noted, "In brisk (but not wide-open throttle) acceleration, the engine seems to lunge from gear to gear, like a chained Rottweiler." Following a line of cars in traffic can prove difficult as well. Under semihard braking, the transmission aggressively forces downshifts, slowing the car unnaturally even after the driver has lifted off the brake pedal as the traffic begins to move again. To reduce the excessive retardation, the driver must step on the accelerator, initiating another forward lunge. Concluded one writer, "BMW needs to work on its throttle tip-in calibration and transmission phasing." Added another, "It's so hard to be smooth, especially at low speeds. Starting and stopping often come off abrupt, no matter how careful you are with the controls."

=======================

Paragraph FROM EDMUNDS:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw...rticleId=102584

The driving experience ranged from irritating to exhilarating. Irritation came quickly in low-speed traffic, as the drivetrain responded unpredictably to accelerator pedal input. Too little pressure and the sedan would move out sluggishly. Too much and it would surge forth, leaving the driver to rein it in before it snuggled up to an SUV's rear bumper. The area between these extremes often eluded our editors and made the car a pain to drive at rush hour. In addition, one editor noted that the transmission tended to hang onto first gear too long in these situations — eliciting more thrust than you really want when slogging from stoplight to stoplight. Another observed that when slowing in traffic, the transmission always seemed to be shuffling through the gears, often supplementing the driver's braking efforts with more engine braking than desired.

====================

A REVIEW OF THE OTHER POSTINGS AT
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69842
DISCLOSES THAT THE ABOVE IS NOT AN ISOLATED PROBLEM.

Last edited by GreatDisappoint; 09-07-2004 at 10:19 AM.