Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
2001 X5 Control Arms or Struts?

Hi all,

I am having front end control issues with my 2001 BMW X5. The front end is tracking back and forth when I am driving and I am constantly "fighting" my car to keep it aligned from left to right in the drive lane. For example, when I hit a groove in the road the tires will track into that groove and I have to fight the car to keep it aligned.

BMW said I needed front lower control arms. Another reputable auto shop in my area said that I needed front strut assemblies on both sides but not control arms. I went back to BMW and they said my struts are fine!? At this point I am not sure who to believe.

As a side note, my front tires are wearing unevenly with the inside tire wear worse than the outer.

So does this sound like a strut issue or a control arm issue?
Ads by Google
Old 06-04-2013, 05:41 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
I'm inclined to go with control arm diagnosiss, specifically control arm bushings. It's a common issue on the E53 (and pretty much every BMW of that era). Try this; drive in a straight line at about 20mph with the steering wheel centered. Lightly hold the steering wheel and tap the brakes. If your steering wheel "twitches", you need control arm bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks Scott for your reply!

Well I checked my maintenance paperwork and looks like I had the control arm bushings replaced in 2011. So definitely not that. Just perplexed how 2 reputable shops could come up such different fixes (expensive fixes!) for my issue.

Think I may take it to a third shop and go from there.

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa Marie; 06-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Could the shop have been referring to the tension strut, it's another name for the front lower control arm. That would explain why two solid sources said different things (actually saying the same thing).

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 06-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM

The mechanic at the private shop took me out to the garage and showed me what needed fixed (on another vehicle because my X-5 was off the rack). He said, "see that big spring with the big shaft going through it? Thats the shocks and struts...thats what you need." Then he said, "see this metal arm, looks like you just had this replaced." And of course I was like, "ok" because I had no idea what he was showing me or talking about.

Now, I believe the metal arm he was referring to must have been the control arm bushings that I had replaced back in 2011? Hmmm.

Well I just had the front tires replaced for the uneven wear so it is driving better with less side to side front end control issues but if the underlying issue is not fixed that I am sure all of my front end control issues will return.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: E46 325i
I know it's not directly about an E53, but I was having similar issues on my E46 (325i). I ended up replacing my lower control arms and the associated bushings, and it solved the "wandering" issues that my car had been having previously. Tire wear seems to be improved as well. Not saying it's the same on your car, but my car is a 2001, and has gobs of mileage, so it's possible that your car is experiencing the same thing. You might also want to look into having at least the outer tie rod ends replaced as well, as worn ball joints on those can lead to some alignment and "tracking" issues as well.

As a recommendation, if you do decide to have any suspension components replaced, take it to a reputable BMW mechanic (either an independent or to a dealership) and have it aligned as part of the service. It's a good idea to have an alignment done every couple of years anyway, but any time I replace parts of my suspension or steering system, I have an alignment done just to be sure.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks slow lane! With the other responses and yours I am leaning more towards the control arms and taking it back to the BMW dealership.

Think I will ask them to take me out to the rack and show me this issue now that I am a shock, strut and control arm expert!

Thanks to all who responded to my post question!!!