Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5
Transfailsafe, ABS indicator, 4x4 indicator dash lights - recently changed battery

Good afternoon,

I am new to the BMW family (2 months - i purchased an 04 X5 4.4i) and its giving me the blues. The dash lit up w/Transfailsafe, 4x4, DSC, and ABS lights and wouldn't get out of 2nd gear. I made it back to work, turned it off then started it up again, no transfailsafe, went through the gears, no DSC, turned it off again, then started it back up, ABS Brake and 4x4 lights are still on, and its driving sluggishly....Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

DeX5
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Ohh my friend I have the exact same issues for months. I had my buddy a BMW Engineer come and check my truck and he said when he plugged his computer into my truck that it stored battery voltage drop which is what cause the car to start shutting things down. All that was required was a new battery.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
Transfailsafe, ABS indicator, 4x4 indicator dash lights - recently changed batt

Sounds like an alternator, it's a very common issue with the 4.4l N62 engines. I'm replacing one right now actually for the same exact complaint.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Thank you for the replies to my question. I have now gone through 4 batteries. I've had my alternator checked, and the voltage is good. As of now, the problem has not been isolated. I am also hearing, what sounds like, a winding or grinding sound coming from behind the radio/nav screen console once I shut the vehicle down. I've been told that it should stop in a matter of minutes, but I'm not sure that it does, and believe that may be a drain. *note - they had to replace the NAV screen when I bought it back in April. Any guidance would be helpful.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
Transfailsafe, ABS indicator, 4x4 indicator dash lights - recently changed batt

It's the alternator overcharging when it gets hot. It will test good until you check it when the problem is actually occurring. The whining sound can also be caused by excessive AC voltage in the audio electronics. The batteries you are replacing are getting cooked by the overcharging alternator. At the very least, replace the alternator voltage regulator if you don't want to spend the money on a whole new one

Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
It's the alternator overcharging when it gets hot. It will test good until you check it when the problem is actually occurring. The whining sound can also be caused by excessive AC voltage in the audio electronics. The batteries you are replacing are getting cooked by the overcharging alternator. At the very least, replace the alternator voltage regulator if you don't want to spend the money on a whole new one

I will have that checked out as the culprit. Thank you soo much for your insight. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2001 E53
I would agree with BMWOEM1, your alternator is hosing your X5. Replacing the regulator may fix the issue of the fluctuating voltage, but may not fix the reason why the regulator went bad. It could have gone bad from age, but most likely the alternator itself may be bad and may just fry the new regulator given some time. Safest is to replace the whole alternator, but like BMWOEM1 stated, if costs are of immediate concern (alternators are not cheap for BMWs), then the regulator should fix the issue at the moment.