Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
2008 X5 Trailer Hitch

After reading and checking into the options for Trailer Hitches I bought a DrawTite hitch and just installed it on our X5. I was impressed with the quality and fit.
The instructions on Etrailer.com were helpful although they were filmed on a 2011 and the 2008 did have a couple unique things that added a little time.
The black rubber bolt covers that hide the bumper mount bolts had to be shortened about 1/8 inch each, I cut mine on my cut off saw.
I did not have the custom Pop rivet tool to install the plastic pop rivets in the fender skirt so I used pliers while holding the pop rivet in place with a trim tool. It took two people one to hold pressure on the rivet to hold it in place with the trim tool while the other pulled on the pliers to expand the pop rivet, these pop rivets expand and tighen your trim strip as you pull on the pop rivet till it snaps off. No big deal at all. We put all 6 in place in about 2 minutes. The hitch looks good on the car. I have not towed yet but I did haul 1,500 pounds inside the car and was impressed with the auto ride adjustments and how well the car handled with the weight in the car. Ours is a 4.8L.
Ads by Google