Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Window Regulators

Hi all
Hope you can help. My drivers side power window got stuck in the down position on Saturday, and following your forums I was able to remove the door panel and managed to find the source of the problem. The nut that secures the glass to the regulator had come apart and a plastic flange had broken. I was told by my local dealer that I needed a new window regulator at a price of circa 350. The regulator still works though, and I wonder if they can't just replace the nut? Or does it come as a complete set?
Any help would be great?
Thanks
Eags
Ads by Google
Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Do a search for "zip tie trick" or maybe just "zip tie". Some guys have bought some time using a nylon wire tie depending on how badly the nylon piece has broken. The broken piece is not sold seperately, the only way to get it is to replace the regulator assembly. I swear BMW engineered this part to fail, ensuring a steady stream of service revenue, LOL.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...zip+tie+window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.

Last edited by Scott ZHP; 07-15-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Thanks. At least I know i'm not being totally ripped -off. Is it relatively easy to replace the regulator myself, and are there any pitfalls to be aware of?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eags View Post
Thanks. At least I know i'm not being totally ripped -off. Is it relatively easy to replace the regulator myself, and are there any pitfalls to be aware of?
It's a simple fix.

When I replace one, I put the window about 2/3 up and then use wide painters tape (the blue stuff) to hold it in place. Stick a couple strips of tape to the outside of the glass face and tape it to the top of the door frame. The window neeed to be part of the way up in order to get to the bolts you need.

The hardest part is removing the vapor barrier (seal) without destroying the butyl rubber seal holding it on. I use a hair dryer to soften the butyl, then cut through the middle of the bead with a razor blade - all the way around the door. There are only a few bolts holding the regulator in place. Do NOT forget to reconnect the interior door handle (the little silver thing you pull on) before installing the trim panel. If you do, you need to take it all apart again to reconnect it - dont ask .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5
Talking

Every time a regulator goes out I have to replace that stupid plastic clip. $2.50 at the dealer and you do the repair. Of the four windows I have done 3. Super poor design