Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Water Leaking on Rear Trunk Cover.

Ok, I don't know how best to describe it but when it rains, two-three days in a row water seems to accumulate in the middle of the cover. The problem is I'm not sure where its dripping from as there is no water residue on the ceiling or sides. Anyone else having this problem or seeing this, kinda making me frustrated

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Ads by Google
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Space Metal Gray X3

Have not seen this and it has been raining almost every day for about 4 weeks now.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuday06 View Post
Ok, I don't know how best to describe it but when it rains, two-three days in a row water seems to accumulate in the middle of the cover. The problem is I'm not sure where its dripping from as there is no water residue on the ceiling or sides. Anyone else having this problem or seeing this, kinda making me frustrated
Some ideas:
1. Could be condensate if you have the air con on high and the humidity is high
2. Take paper towels and wipe inside the ceiling, rear windows along any path from the outside to the area where it pools and see where the towel picks up moisture. That will give you a clue as to the path.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpabner View Post
Have not seen this and it has been raining almost every day for about 4 weeks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Some ideas:
1. Could be condensate if you have the air con on high and the humidity is high
2. Take paper towels and wipe inside the ceiling, rear windows along any path from the outside to the area where it pools and see where the towel picks up moisture. That will give you a clue as to the path.
Thanks for the help, I decided to drop it off at the dealership.

BMW X5 2013 35i Black Sapphire Black Nevada Leather Tech Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Satelite Radio.

"Driving is a spectacular form of amnesia. Everything is to be discovered, everything to be obliterated."
Jean Baudrillard
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

Please follow up with us and let us know how it was resolved.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Please follow up with us and let us know how it was resolved.

Yep I will keep you all posted.

Jean Baudrillard
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM

Ok the update from the dealership is that there was no fix at this time as they could not duplicate the problem. I'm gonna have to take pictures and video in order for them to fix this problem.

Jean Baudrillard
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
First dry the area completely with a fan to prevent mildew smell and allow a neutral test. I would then lay some cardboard over the area. You need to determine if the water is dripping down or soaking up from the bottom. Drips will show splash patterns on cardboard. Perhaps a run through a touchless car wash would allow you to quickly duplicate the source.

By the way have you ever used high pressure washer wands on your X3?
2013 BMW X3 35i

Last edited by bimmernut1; 08-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004-X3
Sorry to hear about your problem. My 2011 did the same thing. Apparently the rubber molding needs to be adjusted, it apparently did not properly seal and needed to be tweaked abit.

Haven't had a problem with it since.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: x3

I had a GM car years ago with a similar problem. The dealership had difficulties locating the problem and after a few months of complaints, it was the wheels spinning in the rain and splashed into a defective underbelly seam that caused the water build up. The rest of the car was dry except this area.

Not sure if you have the same problem, but it is difficult to locate.