Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i M-Sport
2002 530i first tuneup at 128,000 miles

My mechanic is going to do a tune up on my new-to-me 2002 530i with 128k miles. He said that it has the original spark plugs which surprised me because it seems to be running well.

He's going to put in NGK plugs as well as coil boots.

Are there other electrical parts that he should replace at this point assuming everything is original?

thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Not unless there are codes - waste of money.

Why is he replacing the boots? Are they oil-soaked?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Nice let this be a example of the non need to replace things evey 30k cause you read it on the internet

where did you hear that? on the internet they cant put anything on the internet thats not true

Ive yet to replace plugs on my 540 i bought it with 120 im at 190... I know its coming... but unless it miss's im not wasting time or money...

and to me... my time is worth more then the money
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Thanks guys. I'll ask the mechanic about why he wants to replace the boots.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
If the plugs are original, then change them up. The BMW recommended change interval is 100K. However, I strongly recommend you read up on this forum. There is tons of info on anything and everything about the e39. If you just write a blank check to your mechanic to maintain this car, be prepared to write a large one. Changing plugs takes about an hour and minimal tools. Do you really want to pay someone $100 to do that? Because if your plugs are original, then likely so is your cooling system. And that is the priority service. Do a search for why. Thorough knowledge of the e39 is the best weapon against excessive maintenance costs and the best reason for reliable operation.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
If the plugs are original, then change them up. The BMW recommended change interval is 100K. However, I strongly recommend you read up on this forum. There is tons of info on anything and everything about the e39. If you just write a blank check to your mechanic to maintain this car, be prepared to write a large one. Changing plugs takes about an hour and minimal tools. Do you really want to pay someone $100 to do that? Because if your plugs are original, then likely so is your cooling system. And that is the priority service. Do a search for why. Thorough knowledge of the e39 is the best weapon against excessive maintenance costs and the best reason for reliable operation.
This statement will tell you all you need to know about your new ride. When this car was new it was sold to someone who would NEVER need to get his or her hands dirty for as long as they owned it. If you want to continue that legacy, you either need to learn to get your hands dirty or be prepared to spend about $1000-$2000 in the first year of ownership to you local indie BMW monkey. I spent about $600 on mine, and that was just parts, as I did all the work myself. This is not your Toyota Corolla, or Honda Accord that might need a new alternator every 100k miles. It is a highly tuned and refined "ultimate driving machine" that runs at high compression and high cooling system pressure. It is meant to excite your senses when behind the wheel, and that will mean, like any thoroughbred, that it needs a lot of attention on a daily basis to keep if performing as you would expect. But, it's also just another machine, and like any machine, if you understand it and the basics of how machines like it work, it's not any different, just because it's labeled BMW. The interwebs will give you all the information you need to know, if you should choose to care for it yourself. The information here is not filtered. If you choose to ignore your cooling system, don't be surprised when it all hand grenades. We're not making this $hit up, it's not a question of "if" it will happen, but "when". Go down the list....valve cover gasket......water pump.......thermostat.......suspension bushings........VANOS..........OFH gasket......CCV........DISA.......your car will need these replaced or repaired, GUARANTEED! I don't want to sound rude, but spark plugs is the least of your worries in a 10 year old BMW.

John
Old 09-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Changing plugs takes about an hour and minimal tools. Do you really want to pay someone $100 to do that?
It never occurred to me that anyone paid someone else (other than beer) to swap out plugs.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneontaDan View Post
Thanks guys. I'll ask the mechanic about why he wants to replace the boots.

It was my understanding that m54's with Bosch coils from 9/2002 do not have boots.

I did my plugs at 126k. Picked up a mile per gallon or two on the highway.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Besides the plugs and cooling system as suggested, how about those pulleys and serpentine belts?

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 M5
Check out this thread, and read the buyer guides posted as pdfs (not the acrobat links in first post)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=buyer+guide

List out all the known maintenance issues. As previously stated, if you do the straightforward stuff yourself you'll save a lot of money.
Fern Green 99 M3, Conforti Shark Software, Conforti CAI, Dinan Exhaust. Stamped LTWs, 235x40 square, OEM Hella heads, ///M Pedal Kit, Clear Corners, OEM Rear Spoiler, CD43 stereo. MRegistry listing here.
Le Mans 2002 M5, Black/Titanium, Rogue SSK, Dinan exhaust, PSS9 coilovers, Euro rotors, iPod integration. MRegistry listing here.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Fish30, Edgy and TMV - thanks for the guidance. The Bentley manual is on its way, and I'm looking forward to having this car on the road for years to come.
Keeping 2 lists: "known problems" and "smart maintenance". Then I'll figure out which things I can tackle in my garage.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but here is what the original BMW-NGK plugs look like after 128K (first attempt to upload and post a photo - hope this works):

02 e39 530i M-Sport
84 r650 (long gone)

Last edited by OneontaDan; 09-01-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: photo didn't show