Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 3.5i
subjective topic .....premium sound question

Read couple of older post about how premium is so-so compared to HK/B&O etc. I do feel that the premium sound is just OK and the sound from Audi Q5 (that I test drove 9 months ago) with B&O system got imprinted in my ears as that was the best that I had heard....so clear and crisp base. Makes me wonder why was F25 not fitted with at least HK?
Do we know which company made this premium sound?
Ads by Google
Old 09-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterx5 View Post
Read couple of older post about how premium is so-so compared to HK/B&O etc. I do feel that the premium sound is just OK and the sound from Audi Q5 (that I test drove 9 months ago) with B&O system got imprinted in my ears as that was the best that I had heard....so clear and crisp base. Makes me wonder why was F25 not fitted with at least HK?
Do we know which company made this premium sound?
Premium Sound is H-K system.

3 tiers of sound:

Standard< H-K; also known as Premium Sound < B&O is top sound system.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0d M-Sport (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Premium Sound is H-K system.

3 tiers of sound:

Standard< H-K; also known as Premium Sound < B&O is top sound system.
I have the Euro version of the Professional sound system which is B&O but ours comes with DIRAC sound technology and its way better than anything I have heard in an Audi. I am told (as it is stated on other threads) that the professional sound in the US without DIRAC is not as impressive.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
2013 3.0d X3 M-sport Deep Sea Blue, Black Leather, Xenons, DIRAC Professional Sound sytem, Pro Nav, 19" Wheels, Tinted windows, Folding Mirrors, PDC, ASS, DAB Radio, Aluminium trim inc roof bars
Old 09-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman73 View Post
I have the Euro version of the Professional sound system which is B&O but ours comes with DIRAC sound technology and its way better than anything I have heard in an Audi. I am told (as it is stated on other threads) that the professional sound in the US without DIRAC is not as impressive.
Hmmm, I think the B&O in this Audi sounds a bit better than your's.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM
BMWX3

Mein Auto: X3
I have the US premium sound on the X3 and it does not impress. I can't even imagine how much the regular one must suck.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRZ View Post
I have the US premium sound on the X3 and it does not impress. I can't even imagine how much the regular one must suck.
If you listen to XM Sirius it sucks, not if you listen to copied high quality CD's to the hard drive.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRZ View Post
My thoughts exactly.

I have a 2011 CPO. The bozo that originally ordered my car spent a lot of money for the worthless premium sound system (IMO) yet did not order a rear view camera.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Hmmm, I think the B&O in this Audi sounds a bit better than your's.

Maybe so and then again maybe not. Its all down to opinion really and I do laugh when I read all of your comments. Not one of you have heard the Euro version with DIRAC - it is a completely different system as they point the speakers in different directions. You can only go on what you have heard.

At the end of the day - its my opinion although I will say this. I did have the top of the range Harmon Kardon in my 330d (2003) and that system was superb (its been mentioned on other threads). My DIRAC Professional system is better and has a couple of hundred more watts - very bassy and if you turn it up loud - no distortion.

But hey - what do I know - oh yes - forgot to say - I am principal oboist of Peterborough symphony orchestra - been a musician for 30 years

BTW over here we pay $1300 on top of standard so that must be down to hardware.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman73 View Post
Maybe so and then again maybe not. Its all down to opinion really and I do laugh when I read all of your comments. Not one of you have heard the Euro version with DIRAC - it is a completely different system as they point the speakers in different directions. You can only go on what you have heard.

At the end of the day - its my opinion although I will say this. I did have the top of the range Harmon Kardon in my 330d (2003) and that system was superb (its been mentioned on other threads). My DIRAC Professional system is better and has a couple of hundred more watts - very bassy and if you turn it up loud - no distortion.

But hey - what do I know - oh yes - forgot to say - I am principal oboist of Peterborough symphony orchestra - been a musician for 30 years

BTW over here we pay $1300 on top of standard so that must be down to hardware.
You do realized that the audio system in that picture of the A8 is not the professional sound option but the $8000 B&O upgrade from the professional sound option. Not sure if you guys have that option across the pond.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM

I play around with that B&O system in the A8 at the dealership, it sounds pretty amazing, but not $8000 amazing

Isnt the DIRAC live system is nothing more than a software? Isnt the hardware design by BMW? I have heard a lot of good things about this DIRAC system, but I have never had the opportunity to hear one in person.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I play around with that B&O system in the A8 at the dealership, it sounds pretty amazing, but not $8000 amazing

Isnt the DIRAC live system is nothing more than a software? Isnt the hardware design by BMW? I have heard a lot of good things about this DIRAC system, but I have never had the opportunity to hear one in person.
Apparently, the speakers in some cars are badly positioned. Dirac, is a Swedish company who create a virtual copy of the inside of the car. They then look at the optimal space within the car to get the best sound experience. They they reposition the direction of the speakers to create the best solution for that car. Without this, your graphic equaliser may seem less responsive I.e you make an adjustment but the speaker points straight into the seat so muffles the sound. All clever stuff, certainly enough for bmw to take notice.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
subjective topic .....premium sound question

We do not have the premium but the stock is no better than my $30k Toyota. We aren't stereo folks so no issues but nothing impressive with the stock.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app