Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci
Question Annoying noise from door(s) of 330Ci...Any ideas?

I am almost on the verge of selling this (formally used) vehicle based on the following problem...

There is a persistant noise orginiating from what seems to be either the arm rest or trim panel of each door in my 2001 330Ci. The noise is triggered by the slightest bumps in the road, and seems to be some sort of "rubbing" noise. It's tough to describe the noise, but it is similar to the noise made by repearting the sound "tifa - tifa - tifa" as fast as you can, with some "S's" thrown in. I can reduce or occasionally stop the noise from occuring by driving with my arm on the arm rest, or pushing on the trim panel, but would obviously like not to have to do this; my fiance is nearly banned from driving with me in the car since she DOESN'T drive with an arm on the rest and the noise drives me crazy...so frustrating. There's no way (I hope) BMW would put as much research and effort into sound-deadening and miss this, so I'm guessing I have a lemon or some annomoly.

Two trips to the dealer produced no improvement, even after they inspected the doors and then applied foam. My warrantee is now expired, and I can't afford another worthless trip to have them tell me they've fixed the problem when they haven't. Next step will be some pleading letters to BMW if I can't figure it out...then look for the car on Ebay if it doesn't go away (so sad )

Thanks for any suggestions...
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboeve16
I am almost on the verge of selling this (formally used) vehicle based on the following problem...

There is a persistant noise orginiating from what seems to be either the arm rest or trim panel of each door in my 2001 330Ci. The noise is triggered by the slightest bumps in the road, and seems to be some sort of "rubbing" noise. It's tough to describe the noise, but it is similar to the noise made by repearting the sound "tifa - tifa - tifa" as fast as you can, with some "S's" thrown in. I can reduce or occasionally stop the noise from occuring by driving with my arm on the arm rest, or pushing on the trim panel, but would obviously like not to have to do this; my fiance is nearly banned from driving with me in the car since she DOESN'T drive with an arm on the rest and the noise drives me crazy...so frustrating. There's no way (I hope) BMW would put as much research and effort into sound-deadening and miss this, so I'm guessing I have a lemon or some annomoly.

Two trips to the dealer produced no improvement, even after they inspected the doors and then applied foam. My warrantee is now expired, and I can't afford another worthless trip to have them tell me they've fixed the problem when they haven't. Next step will be some pleading letters to BMW if I can't figure it out...then look for the car on Ebay if it doesn't go away (so sad )

Thanks for any suggestions...
Yes I get this from the passenger side armrest. It seems to rattle when no pressure is resting on it, like an arm for example.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Just U and the road

Send a message via AIM to Mantis
Mein Auto: 2000 328i jet black
Theres got to be a way to fix whatever is rattling.I f a tech from BMW drives the car with you, then the noise can be pointed out.

I can't see a rattle unfixable or unfindable...

Talk to the dealer about this or another dealer and ask for there top rattle guy.

Dan
Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 335i, 03' HD softail
I have the same issue now and then on my 04' 330Ci, goes away with arm on the armerest as well.

Is this the issue that people talk about using the gummiflege stuff on the door seals?
06' KTM XC
Old 09-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i, 4Runner
I had the same problem. I never knew it went away with pressure on the arm rest, but it went away when I rolled down the windows about 1mm.

I went nuts, until one day I decided to fix it. Went to NAPA and bought Sil Glyde, similar to Gummi Pfledge. and applied it to the top of the doors. Here is some info I posted in a thread on e46fanatics.

The noise has since been gone. Knock on wood!!!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=apply

Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to gtvr6
Mein Auto: '01 T-Silver 330Ci 5Spd
Check where the Seat-belt clicks in. It rubs against the seat and console and is really annoying over bumps. When no one is in the car, I just tuck it between the seat and console so it doesn't move around.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
i had the same problem on my car....but i thought it was only on the drivers side...it's almost like a rattling noise....i took the car into the bmw center, and they took a look at it and told me it was the nylon guides for the window on the inside of the door...apparently they had come loose or worn and were rattling....so they replaced them and the noise is gone.....but now i can hear it on the passenger door...so i'll have to have the same done to that one.....good luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
i had the same problem on my car....but i thought it was only on the drivers side...it's almost like a rattling noise....i took the car into the bmw center, and they took a look at it and told me it was the nylon guides for the window on the inside of the door...apparently they had come loose or worn and were rattling....so they replaced them and the noise is gone.....but now i can hear it on the passenger door...so i'll have to have the same done to that one.....good luck!
Did the noise go away if you leaned or pressed the door?
06' KTM XC
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325CI
I have a 325Ci and had a similar rattle until a few months ago... then is just disappeared. A few weeks ago I noticed a hairline fracture in the wood trip on the armrest.

My guess is that slight build imperfections caused stressing on the armrest and eventually snapped it (I know it's a BMW, but every car has some build defects). You probably have some minor build issue that is very hard to detect. It may or may not be the same thing as you have, but you could always ask them to install new armrest trim.

Now I have the dilemma of whether or not I should ask them to replace the broken trim and risk hearing the noise again.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:13 AM

Can someone post a pic of the best place (on a coupe) to apply the Sil-Glyde?

I looked around and did not find the "felt" I had read about...

Thanks in advance!!!
06' KTM XC
Old 10-01-2004, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_1001
Did the noise go away if you leaned or pressed the door?
yes it went away when i pressed against the armrest or directly against the door.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:39 AM

thanks!

Off to get some sil-glyde
06' KTM XC
Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
What can we(or dealer) do about that? It rubs against the seat when someone is belted in. I don't want to grease up the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvr6
Check where the Seat-belt clicks in. It rubs against the seat and console and is really annoying over bumps. When no one is in the car, I just tuck it between the seat and console so it doesn't move around.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to gtvr6
Mein Auto: '01 T-Silver 330Ci 5Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWer
What can we(or dealer) do about that? It rubs against the seat when someone is belted in. I don't want to grease up the seat.

If someones in the seat, and the belt is fastened, it shouldn't make noise. The only time it could make noise is if no one is sitting in the seat and the clip is loose and "flops" around. (At which point I usually push it down a bit so it's locked between the seat and console.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
It does...when it is fastened, it rubs against the side of the seat. annoying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtvr6
If someones in the seat, and the belt is fastened, it shouldn't make noise. The only time it could make noise is if no one is sitting in the seat and the clip is loose and "flops" around. (At which point I usually push it down a bit so it's locked between the seat and console.