Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 10-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 120d LCI (2007)
Question Auxiliary Audio Input Retrofit (Questions...)

Hello,

I have a 2004 E46 with Navigation and I'm looking at installing the AUX input retrofit.
http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/crew/u...stallation.pdf

I've removed the dash a/c vents and after much searching & unwrapping I've located the plug for which the AUX harness plugs into (I'm yet to buy the harness). It has 3 wires going into a little black plug (which resembles X14118). I can't imagine what else this is for.

My display currently does not display AUX when I cycle through the MODE button on the screen - only CD & Radio. (I have no CD changer so CDC is not present)

My questions:
- Will AUX *only* appear when cycling the MODE when there is a signal on that cable?
- Should AUX be there already if this retrofit is possible?

The reason I ask is because if this is not going to work, I'm not going to bother buying the AUX cable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Martin
Australia

Last edited by nitram_luap; 10-30-2004 at 08:19 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2004, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to nickeltong
Mein Auto: 2004 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram_luap
Hello,

I have a 2004 E46 with Navigation and I'm looking at installing the AUX input retrofit.

I've removed the dash a/c vents and after much searching & unwrapping I've located the plug for which the AUX harness plugs into (I'm yet to buy the harness). It has 3 wires going into a little black plug (which resembles X14118). I can't imagine what else this is for.

My display currently does not display AUX when I cycle through the MODE button on the screen - only CD & Radio. (I have no CD changer)

My questions:
- Will AUX *only* appear when cycling the MODE when there is a signal on that cable?

The reason I ask is because if this is not going to work, I'm not going to bother buying the AUX cable.

Paul Martin
Australia
The CD mode refers to your in dash CD. When you have the Aux-in installed, you should have a new AUX mode when you cycle the MODE button. In absence of the Aux-in install, the AUX mode does not appear. I had mine installed professionally so I don't know if there was any tinkering with the GM to have it recognise the Aux connection (although I highly doubt it).

2004 330ci Cab, Ti Silver, Montana Grey, Auto, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Alarm, & Aux-in Kit.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeltong
The CD mode refers to your in dash CD. When you have the Aux-in installed, you should have a new AUX mode when you cycle the MODE button. In absence of the Aux-in install, the AUX mode does not appear. I had mine installed professionally so I don't know if there was any tinkering with the GM to have it recognise the Aux connection (although I highly doubt it).

Thanks for the rapid reply!

Do you have AUX as an option when cycling MODE if there is nothing playing on the AUX line - or does it not show in this case?

The reason I ask is because if you look at the install (which requires no recoding apparently), the AUX harness is nothing more than an extension cable with a female 3.5mm socket at the other end. I can't see how the system would see it any differently to how it is seen now... 3 wires with nothing plugged into them.

The actual installation of the wiring is a piece of cake - it's the rest I'm not sure about.

The instructions (in the PDF file linked in my original post) state this in the 'Concluding Work' section.

- Conduct a brief test with DIS/GT1
- Conduct a function test

Could it mean that even though it does not require 'coding' as such, the dealer still needs to 'enable' AUX input on my stereo somehow?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
...the AUX harness is nothing more than an extension cable with a female 3.5mm socket at the other end. I can't see how the system would see it any differently to how it is seen now...
OK... I'm officially an idiot!

On closer inspection the harness is not quite JUST an extension cable. At the end of the install document is a circuit which (when I looked at it properly) shows a small resistor in the circuit between the L & R channel wires. That's how it *knows* that the AUX cable is connected!

I decided to test this out. I deliberately shortcircuited the L & R channel wires as they come out of the wiring harness and voila! - AUX now shows up when cycling the MODE button. When I remove the short, AUX disappears!

Now... all I need to do is buy about $3 worth of plugs, wire and the required 300kOhm resistor and I can make my own harness (for about 1/20th of the price of the BMW one!)

Excellent!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit.JPG
Views:	4306
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	39246  

Last edited by nitram_luap; 10-31-2004 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:27 AM

I did it!

I bought about $4 worth of gear - wire, plugs & the resistor - and made my own wiring harness for the AUX in - and it WORKS perfectly!!

At first it was very quiet when plugged in, no matter how loud my devices volume was - then I noticed a little P1 in the corner of the screen which shows AUX on it.

When I pressed the buttons (numbered 1-6) beneath the MODE button I found out that this controls the input 'volume' - P6 is the loudest.

Now the AUX volume matches the volume on the other audio sources

All the wiring is hidden in the dash and the plug comes out in the glovebox - you wouldn't even know it was there!

Paul Martin
Australia
Old 11-01-2004, 03:26 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
I did it!

I bought about $4 worth of gear - wire, plugs & the resistor - and made my own wiring harness for the AUX in - and it WORKS perfectly!!

At first it was very quiet when plugged in, no matter how loud my devices volume was - then I noticed a little P1 in the corner of the screen which shows AUX on it.

When I pressed the buttons (numbered 1-6) beneath the MODE button I found out that this controls the input 'volume' - P6 is the loudest.

All the wiring is hidden in the dash and the plug comes out in the glovebox - you wouldn't even know it was there!

Paul Martin
Australia
This is a great "reverse engineering on the cheap"...

What about the DC blocking caps (.22f) in the schematics? Did you install them? I do not see where you mentioned them.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Shake well

Mein Auto: 2003 325iT
Quote:
I did it!

Paul Martin
Australia
Can you provide any specific part #'s for the BMW-end of the harness... the plug/socket/pins? Everything else, wires, resistors, caps, phono-jack should be readily available at most electronics supply houses.

Thanks!

daver -- 2003 325iT
Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 320D
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram_luap View Post
OK... I'm officially an idiot!

On closer inspection the harness is not quite JUST an extension cable. At the end of the install document is a circuit which (when I looked at it properly) shows a small resistor in the circuit between the L & R channel wires. That's how it *knows* that the AUX cable is connected!

I decided to test this out. I deliberately shortcircuited the L & R channel wires as they come out of the wiring harness and voila! - AUX now shows up when cycling the MODE button. When I remove the short, AUX disappears!

Now... all I need to do is buy about $3 worth of plugs, wire and the required 300kOhm resistor and I can make my own harness (for about 1/20th of the price of the BMW one!)

Excellent!

Paul
Hi,

I've been trying to do this for the past 2 months without success. I have a 2005 (previous moodel) 320.
I've shortcircuited pins 8 and 9, but still do not get the AUX on the screen when cycling the MODE button. Does this mean that it won't work with my radio?

many thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci and BMW X3
which pins do you consider to be 8 and 9?
If you look from the back of the unit, you have to be working with the ten pin gang to to bottom right and pins 8 and 9 are the 3rd and 4th pins on the top row of that 10 pin gang. May be you had the right pins but just in case!!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325xi
I was hoping for some help. I purchased the overpriced AUX cable from my BMW dealer and installed it for my XM SKYFI satellite radio on a 2004 325XI.

It initially worked like a champ, but now I'll be driving and then suddenly my AUX input will go away (back to FM) and it won't come back unless I turn off the car and restart it. Even that sometimes doesn't work, but after a some time I'll turn the car back on and the AUX input is back.

Sometimes the AUX input will last 1 hour or more while driving and sometimes after 5 mins it goes away.

Could I have a faulty cable? It appears from reading this thread that the radio recognizes the AUX input by way of the 300K resistor between L and R channels. I wonder if a resistor can go bad? I just bought the cable a few weeks ago.

Any other thoughts? Could the XM radio not be the correct impedance causing some issues?

Any insight or help on troubleshooting this would be appreciated as its driving me nuts...

Thanks!

-Flip

Last edited by flip68; 03-18-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
business cd aux input

Guys, I'm a total newbie in the Bimmer world, just picked up an '03 540i on 06/06/06, what a day to buy a car! I'm trying not to be the ignorant guy that doesn't use the search button and asks all the wrong questions, but the more I search the further I get away from getting to my target.
I would really like to make my own cable specially after writting a check for over 30k, every saved dollar counts.
I've been looking all over the forums for the aux input but can't quite find the exact match to my setup.
In-dash business cd with 6 disk changer in the trunk and DSP. I'm guessing that my year has the aux input by the cd changer but would disable my changer signal to get auxilary signal instead. Reading the posts above I took my indash cd unit out and saw 2 - 12 pin connections on the cd player one is open the other has wire harness plugged in with 3 wires.
Is this similar connector to your 10 pin mentioned in the post above?
I have no idea what this 3 wire connector does, but with it disconnected from the cd player I still can play indash cd and the cd changer and I can control it all from the steering wheel. Any help much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Here's the instructions (see attached) that came with my AUX kit for the X5, which also include instructions for your E39 5-Series. Adding the AUX kit will NOT eliminate the CD player or changer...so, you'll get to keep all existing functions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E39_E53_E83AuxPortInstallInst - part1.pdf (487.2 KB, 1233 views)
File Type: pdf E39_E53_E83AuxPortInstallInst - part2.pdf (232.0 KB, 867 views)
Old 06-11-2006, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Thanks, lot of info for x5 is the same as E39 didn't know that!
Will widen my field of search next time.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: BMW
(that is- those capacitors and resistors)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Very nice MOD.

Does anyone have try this:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-X3-04---E83-/
It can display TEXT from the iPOD.

Maybe it is another alternative for the iPOD adaptor from BMW.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBB View Post
Very nice MOD.

Does anyone have try this:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-X3-04---E83-/
It can display TEXT from the iPOD.

Maybe it is another alternative for the iPOD adaptor from BMW.
That is the DICE kit, we have them as well:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

This will give you steering wheel control, charge the iPod and provide better sound quality than the AUX adapter.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
That is the DICE kit, we have them as well:
This will give you steering wheel control, charge the iPod and provide better sound quality than the AUX adapter.
Thanks, Tom! I went to the website, and just did not see any X3 specific tutorials... Do you happen to know if there are any video illustration for how to install this in X3?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBBB View Post
Thanks, Tom! I went to the website, and just did not see any X3 specific tutorials... Do you happen to know if there are any video illustration for how to install this in X3?

Thanks.
I have installation instructions I can send, feel free to email me directly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Mein Auto: 98 740iL - Tweaked a bit
Anyone willing to throw in their .02 over here....I'm hoping someone has an answer.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...11#post4306711

325hp 98 740iL, black/black - Eatin 540's & $hittin 318's
PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
EXTERIOR:19" Beyern Mesh staggered, Shadowline kidneys, Axxis pads
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Mein Auto: 98 740iL - Tweaked a bit
Bump for alternatives, besides deck replacement...

325hp 98 740iL, black/black - Eatin 540's & $hittin 318's
PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
EXTERIOR:19" Beyern Mesh staggered, Shadowline kidneys, Axxis pads
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci and BMW X3
Hey, I see the awesome work you did on making a cable yurself. They sell those for $80 plus tax (total $91) here in Canada. I want to make my own as I am also an engineer, be it Mechanical, I understand electronics enough to make the cable. My only issue is that I do not have a NAV system in my 2004 BMW 330ci and was wondering if you could tell me if your cable works for that or where I could find the differences.
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 330D Sport
So,, i want to make this cable up, but a couple of questions, in the diagram, the resistor is after the capacitor, but somebody said put it before the capacitors?

Which is it?

The connector on the back of the headunit, is it 10 or 12 pin? Seen plenty of pics with 12 pin (2 rows of 6), but the diagram on page 2 says 10 pin?

Thanks.

Ignore my resistor question, i was reading the diagram wrong, big d'oh!

Last edited by mjn; 09-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram_luap View Post
Hello,

My display currently does not display AUX when I cycle through the MODE button on the screen - only CD & Radio. (I have no CD changer so CDC is not present)

My questions:

Paul Martin
Australia
Can someone help me with putting all of the necessary materials together? Pdf file seems to not be working...
Thanx in Advance