Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:25 PM
USMCAg00 USMCAg00 is offline
Marine Turned Yuppie
Location: Lone Star State
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to USMCAg00
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Question Key Programming

Anyone remember how to program the key? My dealer showed me how at purchase, but I have since changed my programmed settings and can't remember how to get the key to recognize the appropriate seat preset (Setting 1 for my key, 2 for the wife).

Thanks!
__________________
Chris

“Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-27-2005, 06:20 PM
jdeday's Avatar
jdeday jdeday is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Selinsgrove, PA
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 495
Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Insert the key into the ignition and turn key to position #2, adjust seat and mirrors to desired positions, press “M” on the seat and then the memory seat position number, remove key from ignition and lock doors (this is the important part) and your key should be programmed!

Good luck!
__________________
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 PM
USMCAg00 USMCAg00 is offline
Marine Turned Yuppie
Location: Lone Star State
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to USMCAg00
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday
Insert the key into the ignition and turn key to position #2, adjust seat and mirrors to desired positions, press “M” on the seat and then the memory seat position number, remove key from ignition and lock doors (this is the important part) and your key should be programmed!

Good luck!
Thanks a bunch!
__________________
Chris

“Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue.” - Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Caesar Caesar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: X3 3.0i (2005)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCAg00
Anyone remember how to program the key? My dealer showed me how at purchase, but I have since changed my programmed settings and can't remember how to get the key to recognize the appropriate seat preset (Setting 1 for my key, 2 for the wife).

Thanks!
I was told that you don't need to do anything other than UNLOCK the car with your key (using the button on the key). When you unlock the car, the chip in the key recognizes any settings that you then do thereafter.

So if you get in (after unlocking with the remote key), and make changes to the seat seatings, the next time you unlock the car, it will remember those settings.

If your wife unlocks the car with her key, it will likewise remember the settings that she made.

Note that even if the car is unlocked (like in your garage) -- just push the unlock button on the key before you get in to ensure that you don't overwrite your wife's settings, and vice versa.

So I dont' understand why you were told to do anything else. The buttons on the seat are simply a back-up (if you choose to program them, using the memory button).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on my understanding of the remote key function for remembering your seat/mirror/climate settings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 AM
rrinker rrinker is offline
Registered User
Location: Allentown, PA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
No that's the way it works, AFTER you initially associate a particular key with one of the 3 memory settings. They key in position 2 thing you only have to do once. That's what the little colored stickers are for - so you can identify which key is which.

--Randy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Caesar Caesar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: X3 3.0i (2005)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrinker
No that's the way it works, AFTER you initially associate a particular key with one of the 3 memory settings. They key in position 2 thing you only have to do once. That's what the little colored stickers are for - so you can identify which key is which.

--Randy
That's not how it works for me right now (perhaps the dealer did something with the programming). But I have tested it extensively -- and I recommend this set up if this is something the dealer needs to do.

My wife and I have NEVER used the memory buttons (I haven't even touched them yet). Her key (which I did put a sticker on just so we don't mix it up), does change the seat, mirrors and climate settings, to HER settings when she hits the unlock remote key button.

It goes to my settings when I hit unlock on my remote key button. Note that this works whether the car is unlocked or locked.

I have held both keys in my hands (pressing the unlock button on one, then the other) and watched the doors/mirrors move to confirm that this is exactly what happens.

This is in fact, how the dealer told me it was set up to work. He also told me the memory buttons on the seat could be programmed as a back up to our key associations. But the buttons have no relation to the key. The UNLOCK on the key is all that triggers the settings.

Basically, any changes made to the seats/mirror/climate after unlocking the car with a key are associated with that key.

Try it. If you dont' have it, the dealer must have not enabled it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 AM
vontech vontech is offline
Registered User
Location: Oregon, USA
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Exclamation

OK, OK. Try this. It works EVERY TIME for me.

Husband unlocks car WITH HIS KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HIS KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to his key.

Wife unlocks car WITH HER KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HER KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to HER key.

In order for multiple keys to work, the person who OPENED the car WITH HIS/HER key ALSO needs to LOCK the car to complete the cycle. Then the other person needs to do the SAME with HIS/HER key. Just be certain to LOCK the car with your own key.

Maddening, but this has worked for me. Somebody needs to show the BMW programmers how real people use their cars.

Report back here and let me know what you find out ...

Tom
__________________
2005 X3 3.0i Bluewater Metallic Gray Leather Premium Package Auto Heated Steering Wheel & Seats Panorama Moonroof Dark Wood Foglights Rain Sensor Auto Headlight Xenon Headlights Sirus Satellite Cd Changer Audio Adapter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Caesar Caesar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: X3 3.0i (2005)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vontech
OK, OK. Try this. It works EVERY TIME for me.

Husband unlocks car WITH HIS KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HIS KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to his key.

Wife unlocks car WITH HER KEY, adjusts seats and mirrors, locks car WITH HER KEY. Seat and mirror settings are remembered to HER key.

In order for multiple keys to work, the person who OPENED the car WITH HIS/HER key ALSO needs to LOCK the car to complete the cycle. Then the other person needs to do the SAME with HIS/HER key. Just be certain to LOCK the car with your own key.

Maddening, but this has worked for me. Somebody needs to show the BMW programmers how real people use their cars.

Report back here and let me know what you find out ...

Tom
Not true -- whether or NOT the car is locked, pressing the UNLOCK button on the key uses the settings last saved for that key. If you use the UNLOCK button, any changes you then make thereafter are associated with that key.

So even if the car is unlocked in your garage, use the UNLOCK button. In other words, if you share a car with someone, and don't know who used it last, unlocked it last, etc. -- always use the "unlock" button on your remote key before getting in.

You do NOT need to lock to complete a cycle. Locking is irrelevant.

IN other words, you get in (after pressing unlock button on key) -- you then change mirrors and seat position (your settings are now associated with your key). You get out -- whether or NOT you lock the car, your husband should use the unlock button before getting in. Otherwise, if he just gets in, any changes he makes will then be on your key still. By locking the car, you just forced your husband to follow this procedure -- but the locking is actually not relevant. It is all in the unlocking (even if the car itself is unlocked).

Think of the unlock button on the key as a "your settings" button. So always use the "your settings" button before getting in. That's all.

I tested this extensively using both keys (my key in my left hand, my wife's key in my right hand). Believe me, that is how it is supposed to work. Test it yourself. The unlock button will change settings back and forth, regardless of whether the car is actually locked. So you don't have to lock the car (for instance in your own garage -- if you don't want to).

Note also, that once you are happy with your seat and mirror settings, you can then save them (as a backup) using the memory buttons on the seat. That way, if you or your husband mess up your settings on your key, you still have them saved on the memory button. So then go back to your saved settings with the memory button AFTER you used the unlock button on your key. Those settings will now be associated with your key again.

Last edited by Caesar; 10-05-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,599
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
That's not how it works for me right now (perhaps the dealer did something with the programming). But I have tested it extensively -- and I recommend this set up if this is something the dealer needs to do.

My wife and I have NEVER used the memory buttons (I haven't even touched them yet). Her key (which I did put a sticker on just so we don't mix it up), does change the seat, mirrors and climate settings, to HER settings when she hits the unlock remote key button.

It goes to my settings when I hit unlock on my remote key button. Note that this works whether the car is unlocked or locked.

I have held both keys in my hands (pressing the unlock button on one, then the other) and watched the doors/mirrors move to confirm that this is exactly what happens.

This is in fact, how the dealer told me it was set up to work. He also told me the memory buttons on the seat could be programmed as a back up to our key associations. But the buttons have no relation to the key. The UNLOCK on the key is all that triggers the settings.

Basically, any changes made to the seats/mirror/climate after unlocking the car with a key are associated with that key.

Try it. If you dont' have it, the dealer must have not enabled it.
The advantage of using the memory buttons is that you can put the seat where you want it before getting in the car. (My wife likes the seat so close that I can't get into the car unless I move it.) If you open the door and hit your memory button before doing anything else, the seat will go where you want it and you can get in. Then it doesn't matter which key you are using.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 PM
BMW^Z4 BMW^Z4 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CyPRUs
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: Z4
thank u
__________________
Z4^EntAiRtAiNmeNt ...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Jedi54 Jedi54 is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I have a 2nd key that I need to program using the Remote Key Initialization and then hopefully I can test this out.
Sounds like it would be perfect for when the GF needs to use the car.

Thanks guys!


IF this setting isn't set by default, does anyone know what BMW charges to reprogram? (I'm well out of warranty)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM
G Wiz G Wiz is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: X3
Does key#1 and key #2 change any of the memory settings or are the memory settings fixed with both keys?

In other words, if I use key 1, set the seat memory settings for 1,2,3........will those same settings remain when I use key 2?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
joylove joylove is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,098
Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
The seat will return to the position last found when that key LOCKED the car. It does not use or alter the seat memories.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
key programming options? Mantis806 3 Series / 4 Series 9 09-02-2004 10:32 AM
Key programming msphynx 3 Series / 4 Series 5 08-23-2004 05:36 PM
Key programming msphynx Do-It-Yourself H.Q. 2 08-20-2004 12:17 PM
Key programming philotas 3 Series / 4 Series 0 10-05-2003 05:49 AM
Programming Old Key coppee 3 Series / 4 Series 2 10-01-2003 08:50 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms