BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Trade in or keep till it hits 120k miles??

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 ·
Okay folks, i have a little bit of a concern here. I have a 2001 325i (Fully paid off).
Currently have 77k miles, and have extended warranty till 100k.
Is it better off for me to sell the car now and get what i can and get a new car or just wait till it hits 110k or $120 miles and then sell? I'm averaging about 12k miles every year now.... How reliable are BMW's after 100k? What would you guys do?/

#2 ·
kvasg said:
Okay folks, i have a little bit of a concern here. I have a 2001 325i (Fully paid off).
Is it better off for me to sell the car now and get what i can and get a new car or just wait till it hits 110k or $120 miles and then sell? I'm averaging about 12k miles every year now.... How reliable are BMW's after 100k? What would you guys do?/
I am keeping my Fully paid off 2001 325i with 73K miles on it till I drive it into the ground. It's such a great car, there's no reason to get rid of it :thumbup: I think it will be good for 250,000 miles if properly maintained even with all the hard driving it's seen. Maybe especially because of the hard driving it's seen :D

#4 ·
kvasg said:
Even if your new car payments are just $500/month that's $6000/year. A LOT would have to go wrong with your car EVERY year to make it better to buy a new one. There are other reasons for getting a new car (better technology, safer, styling, etc.) but there are a lot of reasons to keep the old one too.

I say drive it in to the ground :thumbup:.

James.

#6 · (Edited)
kvasg said:
Fully paid off, I'll keep the car and keep on driving :drive: My buddy puts almost 250K on his 325i and it's still going. I wish mine were paid off :bawling:

#7 ·
kvasg said:
James,
Thks a lot.. You guys are right. From a financial point of view cars are such a bad investment, its probably better to keep it till it dies.
Remember, it's not an old car. It's an old BMW. Much classier :D.

James.

#10 ·
kvasg said:
A cousin of mine kept her older 3 until she decided to get a new car (and new car payments)--- and she had over 200k on it. :thumbup:

#11 ·
kvasg said:
Wow thks for the info. WHen u say properly maintenance. What do you mean?
i started to do oil changes every 7500 miles now instead of the 15k suggestion.
What else can i do?
Oil changes are just the start.
Don't forget regular coolant, diff, tranny, brake fluid, and air filter changes. Toss in spark plugs and possibly fuel filter and o2 sensors as you get closer to 100k.
At some point you're going to have to change your thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, and possibly radiator too. Some people choose to perform cooling system work preemptively.

That really should be the bulk of it.

#12 ·
AG said:
Oil changes are just the start.
Don't forget regular coolant, diff, tranny, brake fluid, and air filter changes. Toss in spark plugs and possibly fuel filter and o2 sensors as you get closer to 100k.
At some point you're going to have to change your thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses, and possibly radiator too. Some people choose to perform cooling system work preemptively.

That really should be the bulk of it.
Good point! Oil every 7-8 K miles, diff & tranny with Red Line every 30K, brake fluid at least once a year depending on your driving, spark plugs every 60K. I replaced my fuel filter at 70K but it looked good and in retrospect 100K should have been fine. Coolant every 3-4 years and maybe a new radiator ~ 120K miles or earlier if you are doing track driving and want to be on the safe side.

#14 ·
I own a '99 with 107K miles which is paid off and I have no plans of unloading the car any time soon.

I have maintained it pretty well and it runs perfect. Oddly enough, it seems to be more reliable the older it gets... :eeps:

#15 ·
Desertnate said:
I own a '99 with 107K miles which is paid off and I have no plans of unloading the car any time soon.

I have maintained it pretty well and it runs perfect. Oddly enough, it seems to be more reliable the older it gets... :eeps:
Yeah, mine too, it's running perfectly at the moment at 110k. Quite a bit of work was done though between 60 and 100k. Or maybe it's just cause I stopped tracking it. ;)

#16 ·
Desertnate said:

Faster too!! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.