Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2005, 04:06 AM
gitpicker's Avatar
gitpicker gitpicker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sport
Noises - normal?

New owner - 2002 325I. auto 27,000 miles. Are these normal noises?

1. The first 5-10 minutes after starting, I have some lifter noise. Sounds a bit like a diesel engine, then I will get a tick-tick-tick sound once in a while when cold.

2. I have an electrical sounding whine coming from the bottom rear of car. Possible fuel pump problem, or are they loud normally?

3. When I first put my car in reverse in the morning, I hear a slight bell-like clank noise!

I'm probably just paranoid. I'm pretty anal about such things when I buy a car.

Fortunately, I still have the full factory warranty if these are problems.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 AM
Artslinger's Avatar
Artslinger Artslinger is offline
BMW + twisty road = fun
Location: Evanston
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,892
Mein Auto: Car
The diesel sound you hear is probably the "secondary pump" this is an electrical air pump that helps reduce emissions on cold starts., that sound is normal.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 AM
andy_thomas andy_thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,587
Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitpicker
New owner - 2002 325I. auto 27,000 miles. Are these normal noises?

1. The first 5-10 minutes after starting, I have some lifter noise. Sounds a bit like a diesel engine, then I will get a tick-tick-tick sound once in a while when cold.
I'll second Artslinger - for the first few minutes in cold weather, the engine note is very rattly and spitty. My engine has a lot of valvetrain noise anyway (it's a Valvetronic) but this is noticeably louder than normal, warmed-up operation.
Quote:
2. I have an electrical sounding whine coming from the bottom rear of car. Possible fuel pump problem, or are they loud normally?
Mine is loud when the fuel load is low. Solution? Fill up .
Quote:
3. When I first put my car in reverse in the morning, I hear a slight bell-like clank noise!
Are you at a dead stop when this happens? If I am a bit quick selecting reverse and the car is still rolling forward, the shift to R is delayed, and is accompanied by a mild audible complaint. When dead stopped, the shift is quick, and noiseless.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2005, 06:28 AM
markl53's Avatar
markl53 markl53 is online now
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,164
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
I'll second Artslinger - for the first few minutes in cold weather, the engine note is very rattly and spitty. My engine has a lot of valvetrain noise anyway (it's a Valvetronic) but this is noticeably louder than normal, warmed-up operation.
I've had my 330i for 3 months, during cold temperatures (as low as 10 degrees F.). I have never heard any valve noise, or "rattly and spitty" sounds coming from my 3.0L. Also, I don't think the 3-series engines have Valvetronic, although they do have Double VANOS. I just recently read that the new E90 3.0L will have Valvetronic.
__________________
BMW-CCA
Bimmerfest Supporting Member



2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 AM
gitpicker's Avatar
gitpicker gitpicker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sport
Talking

Thanks for the replies, guys. I talked to my dealer, and he concurs with you on the noisy cold startup. He gets asked that a lot. And, my fuel was at about 1/4 tank. Filling it up did quiet down the pump noise. And I haven't heard the transmission clink now for a couple of days. I did kind of " wring it out " on a country road Sunday, so maybe that did the car some good. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a couple of weeks, so I think things just needed loosening up a bit. Man, these things are fun to drive!! I find myself driving without the stereo on just to listen to that sweet engine. I traded in a Maxima, and I was worried about stepping down about 40 horsepower. But this 325 has plenty of torque and zip. I believe it is a quicker car. I don't think I'll be happy now with anything else but a BMW.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-15-2005, 07:06 AM
flashinthepan flashinthepan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Congo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,411
Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitpicker
Thanks for the replies, guys. I talked to my dealer, and he concurs with you on the noisy cold startup. He gets asked that a lot. And, my fuel was at about 1/4 tank. Filling it up did quiet down the pump noise. And I haven't heard the transmission clink now for a couple of days. I did kind of " wring it out " on a country road Sunday, so maybe that did the car some good. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for a couple of weeks, so I think things just needed loosening up a bit. Man, these things are fun to drive!! I find myself driving without the stereo on just to listen to that sweet engine. I traded in a Maxima, and I was worried about stepping down about 40 horsepower. But this 325 has plenty of torque and zip. I believe it is a quicker car. I don't think I'll be happy now with anything else but a BMW.
Congrats on the new car !!

You already know this but be regular on oil level checking, I dont rely on dummy lights etc etc... One other quick note sometimes a "normal" slight tick sound is just fuel injection doing its thing & not lifters whatsoever, this is the case on my pick-up...its very quiet and smooth idle, so I can actually hear the subtle injectors working.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:06 AM
andy_thomas andy_thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,587
Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
I've had my 330i for 3 months, during cold temperatures (as low as 10 degrees F.). I have never heard any valve noise, or "rattly and spitty" sounds coming from my 3.0L. Also, I don't think the 3-series engines have Valvetronic, although they do have Double VANOS. I just recently read that the new E90 3.0L will have Valvetronic.
You are right - no Valvetronic in your car; the headgear is quite different. The 2.5 litre, Valvetronicked 325i I played with at the weekend had a noisier idle than the previous M54-powered car, even when warm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since we're talking about ZHPs... is this normal for all ZHPs?? Iniquity 3 Series / 4 Series 30 06-24-2004 09:33 PM
Winter from hell Spiderm0n Off-Topic 19 01-21-2004 07:35 PM
Engine noise normal? 330i2001 3 Series / 4 Series 13 02-21-2003 12:43 AM
Michigan winter with SP tires? Pete Teoh 3 Series / 4 Series 22 11-07-2002 05:51 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms