Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 02 dodge 1500
buying M3, have questions

Hi all, well i think i am going to buy a new 2005 BMW M3 either Carbon Black or the Metallic Silver, still unsure. i am in the military stationed overseas and won't have access to test drive one for a while, and have no salesperson to ask questions so i decided to ask you guys. here is what i am planning to get.
2005 bmw m3 silver or black (leaning towards silver so it's easier to keep clean)
performance package
trying to decide on the competition package - i am considering buying aftermarket wheels so this might not be worth it.
xenon headlights
no nav

1.besides wheels i think i may upgrade the audio system and am wondering what it is like without the nav. i am assumming you only get that screen i see in the pics when you order nav, is this correct? also, is the system without nav 1 din or 2?

2. if i upgrade the deck, will the steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarket deck?

3. i am trying to decide if i want the factory spoiler...i may eventually put an aftermarket spoiler and am wondering if most aftermarket spoilers use existing holes from the oem spoiler? is it better to go with the spoiler deletion option so you dont have to worry about holes?

4. is the competition package worth it, i know you lose the steering wheel cruise control, so does that mean you lose cruise control all together? did the put the control somwhere else? this doesn't matter so much, just wondering.

well i guess that's about it for now, that's all the ?'s i can think of, thanks in advance to all who respond.
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Spoiler isn't mounted with any holes.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:33 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
1 and 2, no idea.

3, what Alex said. OE spoiler uses double-sided tape.

4, depends on why you want it. Some people think $4k for blue paint is expensive, some don't.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
1 and 2, no idea.

3, what Alex said. OE spoiler uses double-sided tape.

4, depends on why you want it. Some people think $4k for blue paint is expensive, some don't.

Jesus Bren, you can stop your relentless campaign against the Comp pkg any day now.

To me the style of the wheels are worth it alone. The IB paint is an extra bonus.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Empowered Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD330ci
To me the style of the wheels are worth it alone.
That's pretty silly. Especially cause you can get 1K for the stock wheels on ebay, bringing the cost down to about $1000 for the fake CSL wheels.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...D=M3COMPWHEELS

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 M3
Ah...real CSL wheels on the rear (same part #). 1/2" less wide but similar quality to CSL wheels on the front. THEN you would have to pop for 19" tires also.... so 2K for the wheels, + at least $500.00 difference between selling the originals and buying 19" tires.

EVERYONE likes the idea of having the Euro rotors on there car. Why not get the REAL CSL brakes for the car, and the REAL CSL steering rack also...

All in all it's quite a good deal, IF you like/want the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
That's pretty silly. Especially cause you can get 1K for the stock wheels on ebay, bringing the cost down to about $1000 for the fake CSL wheels.

Alex
Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r
Ah...real CSL wheels on the rear (same part #). 1/2" less wide but similar quality to CSL wheels on the front. THEN you would have to pop for 19" tires also.... so 2K for the wheels, + at least $500.00 difference between selling the originals and buying 19" tires.

EVERYONE likes the idea of having the Euro rotors on there car. Why not get the REAL CSL brakes for the car, and the REAL CSL steering rack also...

Cheers to that.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36M3r

And even though he gets mad at me every time I say it, just be aware that the extremely expensive brake rotors will not stand up nearly as well to heavy track use as the standard solids.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum

Alex
Again as Bren says to each there own. After opting for the extra $1800 for the standard 19's it only becomes a $2200 option, for the better brakes , the steering and the quote "special blue". Worth it for me.

Even if I did get 1K for the wheels, It's still an $1800 option. Losing $800 right there.

I was just commenting on the fact that I have seen Bren on MANY occasions bashing the Comp pkg. If people want to get it let them. You don't have to keep bagging on it relentlessly. Sounds like a ZHP relived story.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Empowered Consumer

Quote:
After opting for the extra $1800 for the standard 19's it only becomes a $2200 option, for the better brakes , the steering and the quote "special blue". Worth it for me.
If you "opt" for the $1800 standard 19's, the comp package is still $4000. You then spend $5800 and don't get the comp wheels.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
I was just commenting on the fact that I have seen Bren on MANY occasions bashing the Comp pkg. If people want to get it let them. You don't have to keep bagging on it relentlessly. Sounds like a ZHP relived story.
I never told the guy not to get it.

To me, if the pkg. isn't compelling enough on it's own that you have to ask for input about the value says that it isn't worth it.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Eat my special ZHP shorts

Send a message via AIM to Aknatar
Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Again as Bren says to each there own. After opting for the extra $1800 for the standard 19's it only becomes a $2200 option, for the better brakes , the steering and the quote "special blue". Worth it for me.

Even if I did get 1K for the wheels, It's still an $1800 option. Losing $800 right there.

yeah the but the non-comp wheels are forged so they might actually be worth additional cost when compared to the comp. wheels

Also the IB costs an additional 475 bucks, so its not as if they just throw in metallic paint with comp package. Still the wheels are sweet and the brakes look cool atleast.

Last edited by Aknatar; 04-06-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondawg
Hi all, well i think i am going to buy a new 2005 BMW M3 either Carbon Black or the Metallic Silver, still unsure. i am in the military stationed overseas and won't have access to test drive one for a while, and have no salesperson to ask questions so i decided to ask you guys. here is what i am planning to get.
2005 bmw m3 silver or black (leaning towards silver so it's easier to keep clean)
performance package
trying to decide on the competition package - i am considering buying aftermarket wheels so this might not be worth it.
xenon headlights
no nav

1.besides wheels i think i may upgrade the audio system and am wondering what it is like without the nav. i am assumming you only get that screen i see in the pics when you order nav, is this correct? also, is the system without nav 1 din or 2?

2. if i upgrade the deck, will the steering wheel controls still work with an aftermarket deck?

3. i am trying to decide if i want the factory spoiler...i may eventually put an aftermarket spoiler and am wondering if most aftermarket spoilers use existing holes from the oem spoiler? is it better to go with the spoiler deletion option so you dont have to worry about holes?

4. is the competition package worth it, i know you lose the steering wheel cruise control, so does that mean you lose cruise control all together? did the put the control somwhere else? this doesn't matter so much, just wondering.

well i guess that's about it for now, that's all the ?'s i can think of, thanks in advance to all who respond.
Its so damn hard to pick

But above all...

CONGRAT-U-FREAK-A-LATIONS !!!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan
Its so damn hard to pick

But above all...

CONGRAT-U-FREAK-A-LATIONS !!!!!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:49 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondawg
performance package
Not sure what you are thinking of (premium package?), but there is no performance package for the M3.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E46 M3
I just picked up an 05 M3 with ZCP couple of weeks ago and I have to say its worth the $4k. I test drove regular M3s and spent quite sometime before I made my decision. I dont like/care for the interlagos blue color and you can option the ZCP without it, mine's silver-gray.

First, the alacantara steering wheel is addictive, once you're used to it no other steering wheel feels normal after that. The brakes are phenomenal, they supposedly shaved off a good 12ft off the brake timing. I have to say I prefer the regular M3 wheels however I like the fact that I have a unique looking (stock) M3. The suspension is actually *softer* than the regular M3, which works great for me since I have to drive on some bad roads here and its not annoying. As for the buttons on the wheel, I never cared for them and I think the wheel looks cleaner without the cluttering. Yes, you do lose the cruise control,but I personally don't see the point in cruise control on an M3 but thats MO. If you add up the wheels/tires + steering wheel + brakes + suspension + uniqueness, I think its worth the $4k.

If you want more details on the ZCP, MotorTrend mag had a first look article on it this month and I quote their conclusion "its the best $4k you can spend on an M3".

BTW, the ZCP is the first production BMW with cross-drilled rotors (I didnt know this).

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by snalliah
I just picked up an 05 M3 with ZCP couple of weeks ago and I have to say its worth the $4k. I test drove regular M3s and spent quite sometime before I made my decision. I dont like/care for the interlagos blue color and you can option the ZCP without it, mine's silver-gray.

First, the alacantara steering wheel is addictive, once you're used to it no other steering wheel feels normal after that. The brakes are phenomenal, they supposedly shaved off a good 12ft off the brake timing. I have to say I prefer the regular M3 wheels however I like the fact that I have a unique looking (stock) M3. The suspension is actually *softer* than the regular M3, which works great for me since I have to drive on some bad roads here and its not annoying. As for the buttons on the wheel, I never cared for them and I think the wheel looks cleaner without the cluttering. Yes, you do lose the cruise control,but I personally don't see the point in cruise control on an M3 but thats MO. If you add up the wheels/tires + steering wheel + brakes + suspension + uniqueness, I think its worth the $4k.

If you want more details on the ZCP, MotorTrend mag had a first look article on it this month and I quote their conclusion "its the best $4k you can spend on an M3".

BTW, the ZCP is the first production BMW with cross-drilled rotors (I didnt know this).

Cheers!
Glad you are enjoying your mew M3!!

Just one comment. All 05 M3's get the same suspension. Whether that is softer or not is another story.

I actually like the regular steering wheel better and I am going to try and retrofit one when mine comes in in June.

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E46 M3
Quote:
Glad you are enjoying your mew M3!!

Just one comment. All 05 M3's get the same suspension. Whether that is softer or not is another story.

I actually like the regular steering wheel better and I am going to try and retrofit one when mine comes in in June.

Cheers.
Great, how did you option yours? What color?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Lost

Quote:
Great, how did you option yours? What color?
IB/Cinnamon
6 spd
bun warmers
moonroof
nav
sunshade
H/K
Comp Pkg
power seats
xenons
assist

Cheers.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:

Quote:
Dealer tell you that?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Some people have found the Alcantara wheel to wear faster, getting smooth and shiny.

The reason no drilled rotors, is they are NOT a GOOD thing. They are much more problem to cracking.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Some people have found the Alcantara wheel to wear faster, getting smooth and shiny.

The reason no drilled rotors, is they are NOT a GOOD thing. They are much more problem to cracking.
IF you track your car maybe, which I wont. But for those that do, that sucks.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
IF you track your car maybe, which I wont. But for those that do, that sucks.
Even if you track your car...you won't have a problem...I doubt that many people on this board have actually cracked drilled rotors...I guarantee, if you track your car, and have the assistance of an instructor(i.e. not solo) you will not crack your rotors on the hottest day..
Old 04-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Latest comment from Bren the ZCP basher.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
///Mpty pockets

Quote:
Latest comment from Bren the ZCP basher.
....there are far better upgrades for my $4k. But who am I to question Motor Trend