Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 X3 3.0 auto
Voice Recognition. No manual.

Yesterday I picked up my new X3. As expected, I am thrilled. Going through all the manuals etc. I came across a reference to the voice recognition system. The user manual refers to a separate manual for the voice recognition. I do not have that. I am certain that I will not have a problem obtaining it if I call in on Monday, but is it available anywhere on line? Is it difficult to setup?

Thanks

08 X3, Monaco Blue, Montana Grey Leather, Dark Grey Trim, Steptronic, Servotronic, Premium, Cold, Privacy Glass, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel

Retired: 05 X3 3.0, Black Sapphire Metallic, Montana Grey Leather, Maple Sycamore Dark Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel, Power Folding Mirrors, BMW Assist & Bluetooth
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2005, 12:11 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14U2NV
Yesterday I picked up my new X3. As expected, I am thrilled. Going through all the manuals etc. I came across a reference to the voice recognition system. The user manual refers to a separate manual for the voice recognition. I do not have that. I am certain that I will not have a problem obtaining it if I call in on Monday, but is it available anywhere on line? Is it difficult to setup?
Normally, pressing and holding the "face" button on the steering wheel for a few seconds will trigger a beep. Then you can say "help" to get a list of commands.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:06 PM

Thanks. I thought about saying "help", but I was afraid this may place an assist call.

08 X3, Monaco Blue, Montana Grey Leather, Dark Grey Trim, Steptronic, Servotronic, Premium, Cold, Privacy Glass, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel

Retired: 05 X3 3.0, Black Sapphire Metallic, Montana Grey Leather, Maple Sycamore Dark Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon, Heated Steering Wheel, Power Folding Mirrors, BMW Assist & Bluetooth
Old 05-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
This this a feature with the navigation option?
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday
This this a feature with the navigation option?
I am sure it is part of the nav package also. However, I do not have nav. I have bluetooth. If you have the little talking face button on your steering wheel you should have it also.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
I have the little talking face button on my steering wheel. I didn't realize that it was for voice recognition. I use it to access the bluetooth hands free option of my cell phone. I can't seem to get the voice recognition to work???
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 05-27-2005, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Please see the attached PDF for instructions on how to set the voice control. This works on my X5. I haven't tried it on my wife's X3 yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Voice Control.pdf (122.5 KB, 2690 views)
Old 05-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportwagen
I have the talking head symbol on my steering wheel but it doesn't do anything when I hold it down. I was under the impression that voice recognition requires BMW assist, BMW car phone, Nav or all of above.

Can someone confirm what options you need to get before voice control will function>?
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliu34740
I have the talking head symbol on my steering wheel but it doesn't do anything when I hold it down. I was under the impression that voice recognition requires BMW assist, BMW car phone, Nav or all of above.

Can someone confirm what options you need to get before voice control will function>?
For cars that pre-date BMW Assist (approximately start-of-production of the 2004 model year), they either need the SES module (stand-alone voice recognition) or a Bluetooth ULF. I don't know the details of post-Assist cars, unfortunately. I've heard that there is limited voice functionality in the newer Assist+Bluetooth modules, but that is just an anecdote.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: X3 (2005)
Quote:
I have the talking head symbol on my steering wheel but it doesn't do anything when I hold it down.
Same thing happen to me. I have the bluetooth and carphone, but no Nav system. is it enough to activate the voice recognition function?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Quote:

Well I have a 2005 with BMW assist, car phone, and navigation. It does not work. There is a separate voice recognition module available for the X5 that you would have to install. I don't know if that can be done. I assume it will probably connect to the system but then you "probably" have to ask a dealer to program the computer to recognize it. Anyone have any insight into this? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more to have my dealer install this for me as an accessory...
Old 05-29-2005, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I have an '05 X3 with the works (navigation, bluetooth, etc.) and holding the face button down a period of time does nothing for me either. I read the pdf file above and it doesn't look like the vocie recog module does much in my opinion anyway.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
I do not believe voice recognition is part of the Assist/BT module available begining witht the 2005 MY cars. It requires an additional module. In my case the voice recognition module was part of the post factory BT kit. Although I do not have NAV but I find voice recognition extremely useful.

You can use voice recognition to dial by name. There is no need to scroll through your phonebook. I also like the feature where I can call out the number to be dialed. This again keeps you focused on the road rather than looking at the MID searching for a phone number.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 05 X3 2.5i & 06 TL
What's the Voice Recognition for?

What can I use voice recognition for if I don't have Bluetooth or Pre-assist or NAV?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Smile BMW Voice recognition

i found the China has a supplier to sell this product of Start engine by Voice recognition and Control the car by voice,Turn on by Voice: upgrade BMW voice system like Bentley
Voice Control: use original steer wheel voice button, can let BMW work fellow the voice,
here is the link of the website,may be we can get a answer
http://www.u-may.net/e_productshow/?...ontrol-79.html
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
I bought a generation 13 ULF off of Ebay and it works great in my 2004 X3. I did have to purchase an aftermarket pairing button from Bimmernav though.