Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-20-2005, 08:43 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Jackass put in 3 gallons of 87

Luckily the tank was very low and I caught it before he filled it up with 87.

Lesson to be learned- always look over your shoulder and check which button they press. While you're at it make sure they don't swipe your card through a handheld reader to clone it if paying by plastic.

But the real question is, how can we be sure we're getting 93 and not 87? I refuse to fill up at shady pumps. But then again the individually owned Exxon’s could be under-octaning and we'd never know. Wish the computer would let us know if the vanos has been retarded due to octane level.

Advertisement
Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Oh, you live in Jersey. Explains the full-serve.

As for the wrong octane thing, there have been problems out here, mostly with independents, putting 87 in every storage tank. There are inspections that are supposedly done, with certifacation stickers on the pumps, but who knows if those can be trusted or not.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:12 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
What's up with the full service only in NJ? I had forgotten about that until we drove up to NY this summer for a nephew's wedding - gassed up on the NJ TP.

Someone needs to invent a gas grade test kit to use prior to pumping, like a pool water tester...

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
There is a reputable 76 station near me, (Auburn, Wa.) That has 101 Octane on pump. I found this place kinda near a drag strip. Maybe thats the key, follow the enthusiast in your area to the nice fuel. Otherwise just use an octane booster(on the shelf at a lot of stations and auto parts stores.)
Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
What's up with the full service only in NJ? I had forgotten about that until we drove up to NY this summer for a nephew's wedding - gassed up on the NJ TP.

Someone needs to invent a gas grade test kit to use prior to pumping, like a pool water tester...
Yeah, people in NJ are incapable of pumping their own gas. Apparently it's safe for 49 other states to allow it's citizens to fill up their tanks, but not in jersey.

Gasoline octane test kit- now that's a million $ idea Maybe I can train my future german shepherd to sniff out the better grades of fuel.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:25 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
Yeah, people in NJ are incapable of pumping their own gas. Apparently it's safe for 49 other states to allow it's citizens to fill up their tanks, but not in jersey.

Gasoline octane test kit- now that's a million $ idea Maybe I can train my future german shepherd to sniff out the better grades of fuel.
Er, 48. Oregon is also full-serve only.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:31 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
I lived in NJ years ago. I always felt foolish when they were filling up my motorcycle. IIRC, they felt pretty stupid too, and let me do it.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Shakin' and Bakin'

Mein Auto: '05 325Ci
Ah Jersey....I know too many people from the "Garden State" to bash on it, but sometimes it's pretty weak. I always thought the full-serve thing was a way to create more jobs by artificially creating demand for gas-pumping imbeciles.

And I definitely pumped my own gas at a station in Burns, Oregon, way out in the eastern deserts. So is Oregon in fact all full serve?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:25 AM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoofa
...And I definitely pumped my own gas at a station in Burns, Oregon, way out in the eastern deserts. So is Oregon in fact all full serve?
Yes, in Oregon it is definitely illegal to pump your own gas --- with this little loophole. The law states that the customer cannot remove the nozzle from the gas pump, that must be done by a station employee to be legal. However it is legal to then hand the nozzle to the customer to use. Guy who wrote that law was a biker.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 01-21-2005, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoofa
Ah Jersey....I know too many people from the "Garden State" to bash on it, but sometimes it's pretty weak. I always thought the full-serve thing was a way to create more jobs by artificially creating demand for gas-pumping imbeciles.

And I definitely pumped my own gas at a station in Burns, Oregon, way out in the eastern deserts. So is Oregon in fact all full serve?
WTF would you be doing in a place like Burns, ORE? I hope you were on a cross-country drive of sorts.

Speaking of Ore., so I heard tonight that these idiot protesters in Portland went to a gas station and chained themselves up to all the gas pumps. I thought they were protesting Bush? Oh yeah, oil war, right, got it, whatever. So the cops had to cut the chain and remove these people for their own safety. I am sorry, but someone, anyone, should have just broken that full-serve law and opened the spigot on these protesters and just lit a match.

Last edited by Patrick330i; 01-21-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:28 AM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
WTF would you be doing in a place like Burns, ORE? I hope you were on a cross-country drive of sorts.

Speaking of Ore., so I heard tonight that these idiot protesters in Portland went to a gas station and chained themselves up to all the gas pumps. I thought they were protesting Bush? Oh yeah, oil war, right, got it, whatever. So the cops had to cut the chain and remove these people for their own safety. I am sorry, but someone, anyone, should have just broken that full-serve law and opened the spigot on these protesters and just lit a match.

That's SOP for the People's Republic of Portland. Oregon is a microcosm of the country...a couple of blue counties around Portland and Eugene where a lot of long-haired, dope-smoking, tree-hugging, vegan-eatin', lice-infested, shards of human debri whine a lot. The other 98% of the state is red. But Portland is where the population is so they pretty much run the state.
And back to the topic at hand...I always watch to make sure they push the right button. I've caught them a couple of times before they put 87 in. Even though they have to pump it, I have lately gotten in the habit of getting out of the car and opening the gas cap for them. It's easier than explaining to them all they have to do is push in on it after they yell at me to pop open the door. Not to mention the dirty, greasy smudge marks I've had to buff out from whatever dirt and grit is on their gloves or fingers when they fumble around trying to open it.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 01-21-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to FalconGuy
Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci
I hate that we dont have self serve here in NJ, on the other hand on my way in I saw 93 Octane for under $2 and regular for $1.60...... My local place lets me do my own pumping but some places just freak out. Low gas tax is our only low tax though. We also have ample 94 Octane

One of the funnier things I have seen around here is the NJ cars all stacked up at the first gas staion in PA trying to pump their own gas. It appears that they have never actualy watched how the process works even after 30 years of gas buying.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I had no idea. That's just weird that people can't be trusted to pump their own gas.
As a former gas pump jockey, when I was a teen, I can believe it. I was amazed at the idiots who attempted to drive off with the nozzle still in, or would try to squeeze just that extra 4 or 5 gallons in (literally), after the fill-stop kicked in. We would frequntly have to spread kitty litter on the ground due to morons doing stoopid things.

My favorite was a guy to dumped a entire quart of oil on his hood of his shiny corvette.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: Something German
Half the time they are soooooooooo damm slow getting to your car. The fun part is getting out and start pumping it yourself they come RUNNING over to you lol!! I love doing that. And if they dont come I get in and out of their faster anyway.

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
I remember going to a Full Serve only place in my 1967 VW Beetle (Gas filler under the front hood) years ago... Dude walks around to the passenger side looking for the gas door (1968 and later Beetles had that)... Hmmm... No door.... Total bewilderment... I hate to think what he would have thought about some of the old 50's cars...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Whenever I go to NJ, I either pump the gas myself, or insist that I put the nozzle in and watch. Needless to say they don't like me, but _____ 'em, I'm from CT and I pump my own gas all the time so I don't care, I don't need scratches or gas running down the side of the car.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:49 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
I am sorry, but someone, anyone, should have just broken that full-serve law and opened the spigot on these protesters and just lit a match.
I sincerely hope you're joking, for your own sake as a person.

adc
living in blue MD and darn proud of it
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: Something German
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4phillygirl
I'm sure he was joking...

Love your Avatar message, it can be tough being red in a a blue state, no one ever listens lol!

Euro Delivery Thread
///M3 -6MT
E30 M3 Sold, E36 Sold, E46 Sold, E90 Sold
Old 01-21-2005, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 330i M Perf Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Er, 48. Oregon is also full-serve only.
Yeah, I remember Oregon. When I was a wee kid travelling with my parents to California, we had to get gas in Oregon, just past Washington's border. The gas pumper dropped the gas cap on the floor breaking the cap. (I guess the pumper didn't notice the clip on the filler door where you can hang the cap.)

Anyways, the incident has turned me off on going through full-serves. (Unless I was driving the company car) Richmond, BC has a mandatory full-serve requirement as well so I will never fill my car in that city. Politicians also wanted to make it mandatory in all cities a while back saying that it will allow gas stations to hire these high schoolers to fill our cars. Thank goodness that hasn't happened!!!
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
We ran into the "no self-service" thing in Portland a couple of years ago and the "attendant" did explain it to us as a way of giving homeless folk "meaningful" jobs. Thank god I had a "meaningless" rental Mustang because there was lot's of gas everywhere but in the tank when he finished. He did turn us on to an excellent restaurant though, but I won't go into how he knew (He hadn't dined inside for a clue).
Old 01-21-2005, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4phillygirl
I'm sure he was joking...
I'm sure he was joking too, but I've got matches if needed...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to schreck
Mein Auto: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
I had no idea. That's just weird that people can't be trusted to pump their own gas.
WOW, I never knew that it was actually ILLEGAL to do this in a few states. That blows my mind, sorry for the ignorance, but I had no idea. Are people really that stupid to not be able to pump their own fuel? Amazing..