Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-24-2005, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
Touch-up paint

Found chipped paint chip while washing my car over the weekend Where is the best place/brand to buy a touch-up paint? Is it true the dealer will touch-up some of the small chip on your bimmer for free? thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_machine
Found chipped paint chip while washing my car over the weekend Where is the best place/brand to buy a touch-up paint? Is it true the dealer will touch-up some of the small chip on your bimmer for free? thanks!

Buy the touch-up paint from the dealer.

Will the dealer touch up the paint? It depends on how much they like you... I doubt it.

Ding and paint repair is usally done by a third party that comes through the dealer every week or two, the dealer will usally set you up but not for free.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:06 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I bought one of those touch up "pens" (forget the name) from an advertiser on this board, but haven't used it yet... others may have comments about whether it's good or not...

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Pure Natural BMW Muscle!

Mein Auto: 320CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
I bought one of those touch up "pens" (forget the name) from an advertiser on this board, but haven't used it yet... others may have comments about whether it's good or not...
I just came back from the local gas station where I had my car washed, and guess what.....one more chip for me too...

It ok though...chips are minor things, you can fix them easily with no efford.

My main dealer also fixes them for free. And imagine, I didnt get the car from them!!!!

sometimes, when the dealer is ok, no one mentions it, but when they mess up, forums are full with posts.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
If you get the touch up paint from the dealer & decide to do it yourself, take a close look at the detail forum. there is a very informative post regarding a good touch up job. Quite a bit of info & a lot to think about before tackling this yourself. you will need a random orbital buffer and other supplies. If you do, then, go for it!!!

Johnny
Old 01-24-2005, 07:58 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic
If you get the touch up paint from the dealer & decide to do it yourself, take a close look at the detail forum. there is a very informative post regarding a good touch up job. Quite a bit of info & a lot to think about before tackling this yourself. you will need a random orbital buffer and other supplies. If you do, then, go for it!!!

Johnny
I guess it would depened on the size of the chip. If it's very small, in the past I have just used a toothpick to get a small drop of paint to cover the chip. I hate to say it, but I've never bothered too much with chips, going the full distance of buffing, etc. I guess the ones I've had to fix were pretty small and minor.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 01-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Glad to be here

Mein Auto: 2004 Jet Black 325i
I purchased a touch up pen from http://www.autovisuals.com/

Works nicely (at least on my Jet Black). YMMV.