Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 330CIC
Road & Track on oil changes

In the new R & T the question is raised by a reader of whether you should change your oil more frequently than the recommended 15K with the synthetic oil used in BMWs. The response was that essentially you are wasting your money as synthetics do not break down like regular oil and the filters are also designed to last for 15K. They go on to say that engine failure is rarely the cause of why people get rid of their cars or the source of major expense with a car. They also note that the primary cause of premature engine failure is driving the car hard when it is cold and not allowing the oil to fully circulate before running at high RPMs.

I think in some respects BMW is putting its money where its mouth is in this regard as they are offering the maintenance and warranty to 100K. Other companies are also offering warranties to 100K and my Honda Pilot extended warranty to 6 YRS 100K cost me $1100 so they are not figuring that I will need an engine rebuild before that time.

My thought is that perhaps since we love our cars so much we are going a bit too far in some instances and we have to recognize that part of a well made car is that it is going to last. I think that people will eventually realize that BMW is a great car and you can pay the same price as a Mercedes and not have any service or maintenance costs.
Ads by Google