Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
I get about 18 - 22, mostly city driving, and very heavy use of the pedals. Like others have said, I wasn't really too concerned about the gas mileage. I bought the car because it's so much fun to drive. If mileage were a concern I'd have gotten a hybred, and had the family bury me in a plot with a view, because driving something like that would have just killed me...
Old 01-24-2005, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
Are you saying you picked the 330 over the S4 based on gas mileage alone?

I hope the day never comes that I choose my car based on gas mileage!!
Been there, done that
Old 01-24-2005, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
How the heck did you get 450+ miles out of a 325? I could push mine down a hill and there's no way mine will do that.
For 16 gallons, that's about 28mpg. I routinely get 27 out of mine and have for the life of the car.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
How the heck did you get 450+ miles out of a 325? I could push mine down a hill and there's no way mine will do that.
I've gotten close to 500 miles out of my 325i. 17 gallon tank and sometimes over 30 mpg on long highway trips.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:23 PM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I have averaged 24.4 mpg since I got the car. My normal commute is 15 miles each way to a commuter bus lot, over two mountains, lots of gas up hil, very little downhill. Doing the commute alone I get about 26mpg. One tank with two trips into Manhattan and little traffic at the Tunnel showed me over 27mpg. Around town on the weekends I get terrible mileage which generally drops my tank average.

Nevertheless, the only tank that I ever got less than 22.5mpg was when I spent the day at Lime Rock Park last October. That day included a 2 hr drive to the park, then 4 25 minute sessions on the track and some idling. That tank showed about 17.5mpg when I refilled, just after the track day.

I see 30-32mpg when I cruise on the highway.

I'm religious about NOT idling the car. I get to the lot in the morning and turn the car off, while everyone else sits and idles to stay warm waiting for the bus. I'd probably lose 2+ points if I let it idle 3-5 minutes per day.

I've been completely blown away by the gas mileage on this car. I'm still running pre-39.2 software, but I do have Bosch coils and have stalled only twice.

This post sounds like an ad for the hair club for men.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahO
This post sounds like an ad for the hair club for men.
We all know ZHP's have been known to regrow (chest) hair.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-24-2005, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
19.9 mpg so far on very limited mileage....only about 220 miles on the car....mostly city miles.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Family Man User

Mein Auto: BMW, M-B, Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutme
Hah. Whoops. I meant 747 miles on one tank.
Well, it was 45+ mpg for that descent. I was trying to see the best mileage I could get for any particular stretch of the highway...

2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330I
Goal to stay above 20 mpg!!!

I currently try very hard to keep the mpg above 20 mpg mainly city driving, but I like other's try not to worry about it otherwise I would have bought another Honda. I recently took a trip to FL and averaged about 80 mph at 26-27 mpg.

Try bringing your lunch two days a week, drinking the free office coffee instead of buying, and that way like I do, I don't worry about the mpg, just enjoy the drive and the sound of the sweet inline 6.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 3x330,AMV8,996GT2
What RPM range do any of you stay in to get such good or bad mileage?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_for_mom
I've noticed that if I do a lot of freeway driving right after I fill up, I get waaay better mileage overall - if I'm on the freeway a lot the first 1 or 2 days after I fill up, even if I do a lot of city driving the rest of the week, my mileage is pretty good.
The more weight you carry, the more hills you go up, and the more acceleration you do (and the harder you accelerate), the bigger the hit on your mileage. Filling up, then doing a lot of highway driving means you accelerate infrequently with the heaviest load, and then your car is lighter for the city driving, so you should get better mileage. Doing it the other way around means you are spending more time accelerating a greater weight, and thus worse mileage.

I cruise in the neighborhood of 2500 rpm, with a few episodes of aggressive acceleration per tank, hills for part of my commute, long shallow grades for the rest, mostly highway miles, but probably 50:50 on the time spent in city versus highway. City driving is often with a passenger load (typically 3 passengers), and highway is often empty. All that yields typical mileage of 21-22 mpg.

On flat highway and when I'm already at speed, I get 30+ mpg instantaneous consumption.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Well I wouldn't buy a car just to get good gas mileage. But it was one big reason to pick the 330iZHP over the G35. (It was one of many reasons)
Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP

Bob....

Old 01-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenPhen
The more weight you carry, the more hills you go up, and the more acceleration you do (and the harder you accelerate), the bigger the hit on your mileage. Filling up, then doing a lot of highway driving means you accelerate infrequently with the heaviest load, and then your car is lighter for the city driving, so you should get better mileage. Doing it the other way around means you are spending more time accelerating a greater weight, and thus worse mileage.

I cruise in the neighborhood of 2500 rpm, with a few episodes of aggressive acceleration per tank, hills for part of my commute, long shallow grades for the rest, mostly highway miles, but probably 50:50 on the time spent in city versus highway. City driving is often with a passenger load (typically 3 passengers), and highway is often empty. All that yields typical mileage of 21-22 mpg.

On flat highway and when I'm already at speed, I get 30+ mpg instantaneous consumption.
Also keep in mind that if you're driving highway miles for the first half tank and city for the second half, vs. vice versa, then the mileage is skewed because a half tank by the fuel gauge standards is actually different depending on whether you're talking about the first or the second half. The first "half" of the tank is actually more than half...

2004 BMW 330i • 6MT • Orient Blue Metallic • Sand Leather • Black Cube Trim • ZHP • ZCW
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Oh, well I bought the H-ZHP......you know, the Hybrid Performance Package ! I get about 42 mpg.....but screw the inline 6, I really like the purrrr of my fuel cell.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
330i ZHP Gas Mileage

OK... I get 13-14 MPG in the city, and i'm LUCKY to get much more than 200 miles per tank... Granted, I'm an aggressive driver, but still a bit disappointed with the gas mileage of this car...
Old 01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Filled up today with fuel gauge almost reading empty. The statistics were:

- OBC Computer reading on arrival - 32 miles to empty
- OBC Computer reading on departure - 369 miles range
- Miles on resettable odo - 321.1
- Petrol consumed - 15.389 gal, $1.919/gal 93 octane Costco
- OBC Mileage indicated - 22.6 mpg

- Manually Computed MPG - 20.86 mpg
- Fuel left in tank based on 16.6 gal - 15.389 = 1.211 gal

Oh, one other thing, upon departing the lane the engine stalled and died. I kind of wonder if by letting the gas go down to that point I sucked something into the pickup temporarily. I don't usually let the tank get to this point; just a bit busy and had to stretch time between fill ups this week.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 01-26-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
Filled up today with fuel gauge almost reading empty. The statistics were:

- OBC Computer reading on arrival - 32 miles to empty
- OBC Computer reading on departure - 369 miles range
- Miles on resettable odo - 321.1
- Petrol consumed - 15.389 gal, $1.919/gal 93 octane Costco
- OBC Mileage indicated - 22.6 mpg

- Manually Computed MPG - 20.86 mpg
- Fuel left in tank based on 16.6 gal - 15.389 = 1.211 gal

Oh, one other thing, upon departing the lane the engine stalled and died. I kind of wonder if by letting the gas go down to that point I sucked something into the pickup temporarily. I don't usually let the tank get to this point; just a bit busy and had to stretch time between fill ups this week.
Time to upgrade to v39.2?

Old 01-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan
Depending upon the fuel pump's design, that can be bad for a car.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 330i M Perf Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by swchang
Time to upgrade to v39.2?
I know...slightly off topic... According to my dealer, they just received v40, which was supposed to be installed on my car today (Not sure if there are any decimal points after v40 nor do I know what v40 fixes.)

I haven't driven it much to see if the idle fluctuations are gone (should be resolved by 39.1) but it appears the 4000 RPM drop appears to be gone...as in I don't even notice a hiccup at all. (I'll have to pay closer attention when I drive home to see if that is really gone or barely noticeable.)

So far it feels like I'm driving a different car. Feels much better.

To stay on topic....maybe it is time to upgrade to v40? Maybe fuel mileage will improve?

Last edited by Megatron; 01-26-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Family Man User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron
I know...slightly off topic... According to my dealer, they just received v40, which was supposed to be installed on my car today (Not sure if there are any decimal points after v40 nor do I know what v40 fixes.)

I haven't driven it much to see if the idle fluctuations are gone (should be resolved by 39.1) but it appears the 4000 RPM drop appears to be gone...as in I don't even notice a hiccup at all. (I'll have to pay closer attention when I drive home to see if that is really gone or barely noticeable.)

So far it feels like I'm driving a different car. Feels much better.

To stay on topic....maybe it is time to upgrade to v40? Maybe fuel mileage will improve?
v40? I want that...

I supposedly got v39.1 but my car still stalls and has the idle fluctuation. If I really did get the software upgrade, then it didn't fix it. If I didn't, and the dealership lied, then never mind.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci (and Archer II)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
I'm surprised that a ZHP gets that much worse mileage than a standard 330. On long highway trips with around 75 mph average, I see over 30mpg on the OBC, with results backed up by manual calculations; range indicated upwards of 450 miles. Even in Europe with a green engine, I averaged 25.5 mpg with a mix of city driving and very high speed Autobahn/Autoroute driving.
(I'm a little late joining in, but...)

I don't have the ZHP, only a normal 330Ci (6M). I drive about 50% "surburban" roads and 50% highway (If Atlanta's Interstates could be called "highways"). I average 26 - 27 mpg (according to the OBC) with this mix. On pure 'highway", I'll get 32 - 33 mpg at 70 - 75 mph. I do tend to take it easy, and don't wind it out going up through the gears very often, so that helps. Of course the lower gearing of the ZHP is going to impact your mileage some also, unless you shift it a little earlier to compensate for that.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Acceleration Junkie

Send a message via AIM to reevesna
Mein Auto: '99 328i, '03 cbr954RR
wow i dunno whats wrong with ur guys' cars...i drive the **** outta mine and the pannel has never dropped below 26.8mph...i calculated it a few times and was only off by about 1-2gallons...and by me saying i drive the **** outta it i mean i regularly redline it...turn the traction control off to have fun...speed constantly...i figure its a BMW...if it does break i'll just replace it...no sense in payin for somethin and not enjoying it...i could never own a classic sports car...drive the hell out of it
Old 01-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 06 EZGO TXT, chipped!
After almost 28K miles on my ZHP I have averaged right around 25-26 MPG. I do a lot of highways in non traffic conditions.