Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E39 528i
Oxygen Sensor 1999 E39

Hello all - I'm looking to do an oxygen sensor replacement for my 528. There are 2 pre and 2 post the catalytic converter. Looking for some insight into how difficult it is to DIY, resources for installation steps, etc., any help is appreciated. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: A bucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobado
Hello all - I'm looking to do an oxygen sensor replacement for my 528. There are 2 pre and 2 post the catalytic converter. Looking for some insight into how difficult it is to DIY, resources for installation steps, etc., any help is appreciated. Thanks
The concensus is that you really don't need to do the post cat sensors, because the a/f mixture is based on the precat readings. I bought 2 02 sensors from autozone.com for around $62 ea.

Installation was a SNAP. Just jack the front of the car up and set it on stands. Then use a wrench to unbolt the 02 sensor from the exhaust, and follow the cord to a little black box. Use an 8mm ratchet to take the box off, unclip the connector, and you're set. Screw the new 02 sensor in, reattach the clip inside the plastic box, replace the box, and you're done. Other side is the same procedure.

-DanB