Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

View Poll Results: Have you ever killed your engine?
My poor engine died. May it Rest in Peace 4 9.76%
Nope, never killed an engine 37 90.24%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Whose Engine has died

In the spirit of a previous post about oil changes, I thougth I'd take a little poll. Who's engine (preferably BMW engine) has died and needed to be replaced.

If your engine has died, please tell us your story. How often did you change your oil? How often did you track the car? How often did you downshift into 2nd instead of 4th, etc
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
I'm on my 5th BMW and never broke one, despite driving all to high mileage (>120,000). I did have some other catastrophes:

In 1984, I broke a piston ring in a 1275cc MG Midget with about 85,000 miles. Should have been rebuildable, but I never pulled it apart to see as we sold the car and bought a VW GTI. Oil changes (always Castrol GTX) were very frequent, as I enjoyed working on the car and didn't drive it many miles.

About 1990, I dropped a valve in my Ford van with maybe 60,000. We owned this sucker from new, and after about 5,000 miles switched to Mobil 1. I saw the engine torn down and it was pristine. This was the factory HiPo 351 Windsor with double row timing chain, an Edelbrock dual plane intake and a Holley 4160, and it was supposed to be stronger than standard. Presumably the cause was a manufacturing failure, as it is hard to understand how you could over-rev a van with an automatic transmission. We used this vehicle to tow a race car, but that shouldn't be that hard on the valve train.

And finally, in 1991 during the SCCA Runoffs, I trashed the block in my race car (Showroom Stock A Shelby Daytona Turbo) when a floating wrist pin floated a bit too far and gouged a nice ~0.100" slot in cylinder number 4. I believe the circlip dropped out because of vibration related to detonation caused by an ignition timing issue (I never over-reved the car). Compression was not to spec after that.

Oil changes were done every race weekend, so figure about every 200 miles, and always with Mobil 1 as specified by the engine builder. I dropped the good cylinder head onto another block and went back to racing...

Broke a CV joint on lap 4- it just wasn't my week.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Modded '01 325CiC
Logged 177K on my original '89 Toyota Corolla GT-S (4AGE) motor, mostly at 75-110 cruise speeds while stationed in Germany. Brought the car home and ran a compression check, all within 10% of original. MPG dropped from 31 to 28, but still runs fine. Presently in dry-dock, waiting a makeover and a rebuild. Used Mobil-1 at 3-5K religiously, and have no crud buildup on the top end.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
In the spirit of a previous post about oil changes, I thougth I'd take a little poll. Who's engine (preferably BMW engine) has died and needed to be replaced.

If your engine has died, please tell us your story. How often did you change your oil? How often did you track the car? How often did you downshift into 2nd instead of 4th, etc
Blew up my V6 Eclipse. Let's just say CAIs, flooding and stupid drivers should not be mixed. and double-

*my car...* ------>

On the other hand, it got me out of an expensive finance deal and into 1.9% on a BMW. Hmmm...