Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Shakin' and Bakin'

Mein Auto: '05 325Ci
IIRC you can also do the CDVectomy with the help of a friend pumping the clutch pedal, and you can skip the pressure bleeder altogether. I've posted links for this before, but I forget them and I'm too lazy to search....so do it yourself

I'm a slacker...
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoofa
IIRC you can also do the CDVectomy with the help of a friend pumping the clutch pedal, and you can skip the pressure bleeder altogether. I've posted links for this before, but I forget them and I'm too lazy to search....so do it yourself

I'm a slacker...
Yeah I saw that on some "how-to" but wasn't sure how safe it was. The article made it seem like that method allowed for a greater chance of error...

... I'll just buy the damn pressure bleeder.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:48 PM
They call 'em rigs here

Mein Auto: '09 E92.
I did mine with without a bleeder. I used a small pair of vice grips, with the jaws wrapped in rubber, to carefully clamp the tube before I disassembled, to keep from leaking out fluid. When I had it back together, I pumped the clutch a bunch, then I had my kid push the clutch while I cracked open the bleeder. Not much, if any air came out, but in any case, I probably only lost a total of a teaspoon or two of fluid in the whole process.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 02-01-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
I will also vote for removing the CDV, I did and I don't regret it. shizat63, did you remove the CDV in your ZHP yet?

My car has some DBW quirks that you might have and need to be aware of in order to smooth out your driving, read my post (#4) in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...00#post1062700 This will help you getting rolling from a stop.

As far as your 1-2 and other shifts go, the whole trick to drive smoother then an auto trans is to time the clutch release to correspond with the rpms in the next gear. If you rev up to 4K in 1st and go to shift to second I think this will put you at about 2K rpms in 2nd. If you release the clutch improperly and don't modulate the throttle properly before the rpms get to 2K it won't be smooth and conversely, if you take too much time to shift and start to let the clutch out when the rpms go down to 1K or less it also won't be smooth. This will be different in every gear so you need to observe that, learn and memorize it. A lot of your clutch control should also change depending on how hard you're accelerating, and at what rpms you shift at. For example if I'm flooring the gas pedal in 1st and want to shift to 2nd as fast as possible I will let up just a bit on the accelerator just around 6K and instantaneously declutch, foot off the gas, and then right away let the clutch up and floor it. If you rev up to 6K and declutch and don't want to shift this way you can literally wait (what seems like 3 seconds in my car) for the rpms to drop from 6K to about 3K and start to engage 2nd gear then and it will be smooth. If you want to start engaging the clutch as soon as you declutch on the 1-2 shift you have no choice but to add throttle as you're doing that or else the action of engaging the clutch at 6K rpms to bring the engine down to 3K for 2nd gear will slow the car down if you don't add throttle. The problem is that this is causing a lot of clutch slippage.

I also find that the rpms will drop a lot slower if I rev the engine up to 5K + rpms in 1st and you need to adjust to that accordingly. For example if you rev up to 5K in 1st and then shift to second and want to be smooth and not slip the clutch you will have to wait longer for the rpms to drop as opposed to reving up to 3K in first and then shifting to second. Sometimes if I want to drive slow or not rev too much like when the engine is still warming up I will rev up to 3K in 1st gear and when I declutch I stay on the accelerator and give just a slight amount of throttle in order to delay the rpms drop so I have time to gently select 2nd (tranny is cold or I just feel like driving slow) and then the shift will smooth because when the tranny allows second I'm right at the correct rpms for 2nd and the shift will be smooth.

There are 3 last points I want to make. First, the CDV doesn't allow quick movements of the clutch and if you're good and know how to drive sometimes a quick clutch movement will acutually cause you to drive smoother under the correct circumstances. Second the SAC (self adjusting clutch) perhaps influences the clutch feel in a way I can't explain. Some have even suggested removing it going with a set-up that doesn't use it. This I don't know much about and you will have to search and research that. Third the drop in gear ratio from 1st to 2nd in our cars and especially with the 6MT is absolutely enormous. This is one thing I'm not happy about regarding the 6MT.

330 6MT:

1st = 4.35
2nd = 2.5

That's a huge drop! You really have to be aware of how the tranny, engine and clutch works and how a drop in gear ratio that large will effect the way you have to drive the car. This type gear set-up basically intends to get you off the line quickly, but then you are forced to either, shift at a low rpms, shift at a high rpms but wait forever for the rpms to drop and make a lesuirely shift to 2nd, or practically pop the clutch and floor the accelerator at the same time (only at high rpms while accelerating hard) or slip the clutch more then you will normally want to while adding throttle in order to contiune accelerating without losing any foward momentum. This set-up of 1st - 2nd isn't exactly what I would call "close ratio" like they say in the 330 brochure!

5MT:

1st = 4.23
2nd = 2.52

This is still a large drop, but slightly more managable then 6MT.

E46 M3 6MT:

1st = 4.23
2nd = 2.53

Still not what I would call close ratio, but it's better then the 330i 6MT set-up.

I would have prefered 6th gear to be a 1.00 like 5th and that they made all the other gears closer ratio, the car would've been so much more aggresive in 2nd - 4th. Installing a lightweight flywheel would help shifting, however that also comes with pros & cons for the daily driver.

The bottom line is the 3 series isn't ment for aggresive sports car like driving. It's a compromise of sport and luxury and you must accept that and adjust your driving accordingly. You can't drive the car in the same way as you would a Porsche Boxster, C6 Corvette Z51, or STi 6MT. All of these cars have true close ratio gearboxes. And please don't make me get into how final drive ratios effect all of this!

Last edited by Moderato; 02-02-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
What I'd like to know is who says it's OK to remove the CDV? Could future problems result? It just seems wrong to buy a car and start yanking parts off it. BMWs are pretty well engineered so it must be there for a reason. Until BMW says it's OK to remove it I can live with it.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard
What I'd like to know is who says it's OK to remove the CDV? Could future problems result? It just seems wrong to buy a car and start yanking parts off it. BMWs are pretty well engineered so it must be there for a reason. Until BMW says it's OK to remove it I can live with it.
Between 01' and 03', some E46's came with the CDV, others did not.

Moderato- I haven't had a chance to remove the CDV yet b/c of the snow and lack of garage, but I plan to shortly.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Le plaisir de conduire

Send a message via AIM to JAWJr
Mein Auto: All Manuals
Compared to all of you, I may have the reverse problem during shifting. Many people say their shifting isn't smooth at all during soft acceleration. I haven't experienced this problem at all- sometimes people think I have an automatic when I shift with them in the car. My problem lies under full throttle shifts. I noticed this first in Europe on ED leaving toll booths after break-in I would floor it, and a couple times, I would grind gears shifting into 2nd. I don't know if this is related to the CDV or what, but it's one of the worst sounds I've ever heard. I've tried to shift slower, which helps, but still under full acceleration my shifting can be jerky. Also, the car doesn't want to let off if I lower the throttle a bit after 6K before I depress the clutch pedal, because it rises in RPM's so quickly. I guess in time I will adapt in one way or another, but I thought I'd throw this out as I haven't heard of anyone with a problem like mine. Any advice or similar experiences?

~Jon

1991 318is | BrilliantRot / Natur ette' | Manual | Fogs | Sunroof

2009 135i Cp | Alpine White / Black Plastic Cow | ZSP | ZPS SOLD

2007 Z4 R 3.0i | Silber Grau / Dream Red | ZSP | 711 | 522 | 494 SOLD

2007 335i Cp | A61 / LCSW | ZPP | ZSP | 322 | 4AS | 609 | 655 SOLD

2005 DINAN 330Ci | Silber Grau / Alacantara | ZHP | ED 12.10.04 SOLD

Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWJr
Compared to all of you, I may have the reverse problem during shifting. Many people say their shifting isn't smooth at all during soft acceleration. I haven't experienced this problem at all- sometimes people think I have an automatic when I shift with them in the car. My problem lies under full throttle shifts. I noticed this first in Europe on ED leaving toll booths after break-in I would floor it, and a couple times, I would grind gears shifting into 2nd. I don't know if this is related to the CDV or what, but it's one of the worst sounds I've ever heard. I've tried to shift slower, which helps, but still under full acceleration my shifting can be jerky. Also, the car doesn't want to let off if I lower the throttle a bit after 6K before I depress the clutch pedal, because it rises in RPM's so quickly. I guess in time I will adapt in one way or another, but I thought I'd throw this out as I haven't heard of anyone with a problem like mine. Any advice or similar experiences?

~Jon
Under hard acceleration, it sounds like your issue is a timing and coordination issue. Just takes practice, practice, practice.

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Le plaisir de conduire

I figure you're right- the problem may be that I'm letting the clutch pedal out too fast, because I feel the grind when I move the shifter towards the 2nd position. Ouch.

~Jon

Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWJr
I figure you're right- the problem may be that I'm letting the clutch pedal out too fast, because I feel the grind when I move the shifter towards the 2nd position. Ouch.

~Jon
Yes make sure the clutch is all the way to the floor before you put it into second, some will say this isn't necessary but if you're having problems with shifting you should start by doing it that way. It could also be you're trying to shift too fast, when you bring the shifter towards second apply firm pressure and it will click into place when it's ready. Like I said in my post before these aren't sports cars, as much as I like to pretend they are.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Le plaisir de conduire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Like I said in my post before these aren't sports cars, as much as I like to pretend they are.
I know, they're deceiving!

~Jon