Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
Question Inspection 2

Alright, I have a 99 323i that just hit 60k miles. I know that the infamous Inspection 2 time is about due. I donít go to the dealer now that the car is out of warranty. I have been taking it to a local BMW specific shop. They have done great work for me in the past and I trust them.

I looked at the "Warranty and Service" manual and saw what the different inspections entail. It seems more like an inspection then a tune up, probably why its called "Inspection II".

The dealership (Crevier) charges $800 which seems crazy, but thatís why I donít go there. My local shop charges $400, which seems somewhat reasonable.

Is this a major necessity to get the full inspection? I wanted to check before I drop it off. $400 doesn't seem too bad since Iím getting my tax return but I am a starving college student.

Sorry for the Novel!!! Thanks for any help with this issue...
Old 02-02-2005, 05:29 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I'd do the local shop $400 Inspection.

Unless you're willing and capable to Inspect your car, I feel it is a good idea to have a BMW looked over every couple of years by a "HONEST" shop to catch potential problems. At this time its a good idea to change any fluids that are due for replacement.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330Cic
I havenít looked at want is entailed in Insp II but I would think that the money would be well spent unless you have a lot of experience as an auto mechanic / technician. Just my 2 cents.

At 60,000 miles you may want to consider some preventative maintenance along with Insp II. Mike Miller of Roundel Tech Talk advocates the following:

Every 15,000 miles Ė automatic trans fluid and filter change
Every 30,000 miles Ė manual gearbox and differential oil change
Annually Ė brake fluid change
Every two years Ė coolant change

I canít find it in print right now but I believe he also advocates a change of the water pump at 60,000 miles. Does anyone know?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Does anyone recall if using an official dealer for scheduled service is a condition of the CPO warranty? I don't have my manual on hand right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW
Alright, I have a 99 323i that just hit 60k miles. I know that the infamous Inspection 2 time is about due. I donít go to the dealer now that the car is out of warranty. I have been taking it to a local BMW specific shop. They have done great work for me in the past and I trust them.

I looked at the "Warranty and Service" manual and saw what the different inspections entail. It seems more like an inspection then a tune up, probably why its called "Inspection II".

The dealership (Crevier) charges $800 which seems crazy, but thatís why I donít go there. My local shop charges $400, which seems somewhat reasonable.

Is this a major necessity to get the full inspection? I wanted to check before I drop it off. $400 doesn't seem too bad since Iím getting my tax return but I am a starving college student.

Sorry for the Novel!!! Thanks for any help with this issue...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 325i, 4Runner
I have the 2001 BMW Service Maintenance checklist in PDF form.

Here you go.

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...R1MVXZOPAGQJJ0

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...Y3L7Y7SWXHKQKB

Steve
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
I've searched the past Posts on this topic and the generally concenses is that its not worth paying all the money for the inspection.

I will take my car in to the mechanic for the oil change, but what else is necessary for 60k miles on a 99 323i.

Would you do the following:
Transmission fluid change?
Spark Plugs?
Brake fluid?

Anything you would recommend?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325i, 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW
I've searched the past Posts on this topic and the generally concenses is that its not worth paying all the money for the inspection.

I will take my car in to the mechanic for the oil change, but what else is necessary for 60k miles on a 99 323i.

Would you do the following:
Transmission fluid change?
Spark Plugs?
Brake fluid?

Anything you would recommend?
Oil + Filter
Air Filter
Brake fulid and coolant can't hurt.
If it's an auto with 60k, I personally would not touch it. Manual is a different story.

Steve