Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to hecklerz
Mein Auto: '07 E90 328i
Unhappy No wonder they're on sale...

Just a word of caution. The clear side indicators on special at Bimmian are very delicate.

To install then you must insert the housings back int the cutout on the side of your car (where you removed the original OEM ones) and carefully push down and in while sliding to the right in order to ddepress the 'V' shaped latch that would hold the housng in place (also see the walk-through at Bimmian's site). This is where there is a problem. The 'V' latch on the OE indicator housing is made of metal- springy and durable. The one from Bimmian is made of cheap plastic and snaps off easily (as did mine). If this latch breaks, the unit is useless.

Now I was extremely careful mainly because I didn't want to risk scratching the paint as I slid the housing in (I build and mod PC's as a hobby, so I do have a good understanding when to be gentle when installing parts). It didn't take much to break off the clip. Honestly, I don't know how installing this is even possible because it will ultimately take some force to depress the clip enough to pop the indicator back in. I only got about half way in before it snaped.

This is in no way a comment on Bimmian's products as the other item I ordered from them is trouble free (interior xenon bulb set) and I have yet to see how they'll handle my request for a return. I'm sure I'll even order from them again. Just thought I'd put out the warning based on my experience.

**Looking for an E39 540, 530 or X5

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry

Last edited by hecklerz; 02-01-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
Avoid Bimmian.

I've had good luck with some items, and bad luck with others.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerz
I have yet to see how they'll handle my request for a return.
Do a search on this site for "bimmian"

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
The side markers from Bekkers have metal spring clips rather than the plastic ones you get from Bimmian. (At least they did when I got my set of clear side markers about a year ago).

Old 02-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Cocoa Beach Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: 2008 128i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecklerz
Just a word of caution. The clear side indicators on special at Bimmian are very delicate.

To install then you must insert the housings back int the cutout on the side of your car (where you removed the original OEM ones) and carefully push down and in while sliding to the right in order to ddepress the 'V' shaped latch that would hold the housng in place (also see the walk-through at Bimmian's site). This is where there is a problem. The 'V' latch on the OE indicator housing is made of metal- springy and durable. The one from Bimmian is made of cheap plastic and snaps off easily (as did mine). If this latch breaks, the unit is useless.

Now I was extremely careful mainly because I didn't want to risk scratching the paint as I slid the housing in (I build and mod PC's as a hobby, so I do have a good understanding when to be gentle when installing parts). It didn't take much to break off the clip. Honestly, I don't know how installing this is even possible because it will ultimately take some force to depress the clip enough to pop the indicator back in. I only got about half way in before it snaped.

This is in no way a comment on Bimmian's products as the other item I ordered from them is trouble free (interior xenon bulb set) and I have yet to see how they'll handle my request for a return. I'm sure I'll even order from them again. Just thought I'd put out the warning based on my experience.
Been there bro - go OEM, you won't regret it. I got OEM clear side markers for ~ $36/pair after dealing with the same crap you did.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330i Jet Black
go OEM, i've had great experiences with Bimmian...

customer service was excellent and returns/exchanges were handled professionally.
i would definitely buy from them again.
Sport
Premium
Heated seats
Xenon
Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Did you go through Mike at ModBargains.com, or directly through Bimmian? I got a bunch of stuff from them through Mike; ModBargains is a board sponsor. He was very attentive and I had great results wilth the products, although I did not get the clears that you had trouble with. I would highly recommend buying through him. I'm sure he will work with you if you did.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hecklerz
Mein Auto: '07 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Did you go through Mike at ModBargains.com, or directly through Bimmian? I got a bunch of stuff from them through Mike; ModBargains is a board sponsor. He was very attentive and I had great results wilth the products, although I did not get the clears that you had trouble with. I would highly recommend buying through him. I'm sure he will work with you if you did.
--J.
These side markers were straight from Bimmian, the interior xenons I got through Modbargains.

Quote:
Been there bro - go OEM, you won't regret it. I got OEM clear side markers for ~ $36/pair after dealing with the same crap you did
I'm headed to the dealer in about 15 minutes to get my stereo fade fixed. I'll look into the OEM clears while I wait.

To the rest of the posts- Thanks for the advice and info! I'll be doing a lot more background searches and less impulse purchasing in the future

**Looking for an E39 540, 530 or X5

----------

Retired:

*2006 E90 325i- Ti-Silver Metallic, Black leather, Heated seats 6Sp Step. , ZPP, ZSP, NAV, Adapt.-Xenon, BT to iPhone

*2004 E46 325i- Silver Grey Metallic, Black Leather- heated, 6sp Step. , ZSP, ZPP, Xenon, Nav- V.26, BT to Blackberry
Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 AM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhiggi02
Been there bro - go OEM, you won't regret it. I got OEM clear side markers for ~ $36/pair after dealing with the same crap you did.
I read at e46fanatics that BMWNA no longer allows dealers to sell the OEM clears .

Where did you buy yours?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:45 AM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Code=blights

http://www.bavauto.com/

Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo
I read at e46fanatics that BMWNA no longer allows dealers to sell the OEM clears .

Where did you buy yours?

I'm trying to organize a group buy with Bekkers for sedan clears right now...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85517
Old 02-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Cocoa Beach Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: 2008 128i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo

Where did you buy yours?
My dealer, The Imported Car Store in Melbourne, FL, ordered them for me.

http://www.bmwinmelbourne.com/en_US/

See the parts & service tab - there's an online form. Good luck.