Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Post Crossbar

Anyone installed a crossbar to accommodate a Thule or Yakima snowboard rack yet? Wondering what the actual BMW crossbar might look like compared to an aftermarket. Also what it cost? TIA!
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: blazer, 911s, soon X3
I put on a thule rack with crossroad feet (t450c) and a 50 inch load bar that just fits across. very little bar sticks out past the feet. I did not use the fitment calculator so i don't know what it recommends, but i knew this would fit. I like the low profile of the crossroads feet, but it is high enough for antenna and moonroof clearance. But not sure you could put a snowbard with bindings pointed down. It was $160 from rack warehouse. (www.rackwarehouse.com) free shipping. Order it as a complete set (bars, caps, and feet) I already had a thule flat top ski rack to mount to it. i think nicer setup than the BMW racks. Plus can move it to other cars. Some wind noise but not too much unless moonroof open. but i didn't have the roof open before i got the racks on so that could be noisy by itself.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 PM

sonicf,
thanks, i checked the site and this might work for me. would you happen to have a picture of your vehicle with the rack on?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
I had Yakima Q towers on my previous car. But will install Yakima Lowriders, will post photos when I have them installed.
Nav
Xenon
Servo
Folded Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Heated Seats
Old 02-06-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon153
Anyone installed a crossbar to accommodate a Thule or Yakima snowboard rack yet? Wondering what the actual BMW crossbar might look like compared to an aftermarket. Also what it cost? TIA!
I have installed a complete Thule roof system: 450 railing feet, LB50 load bars, at the moment 840 playpen (I also have the 725 ski carrier attachment). PIAA lamps also mounted with Thule brackets to a load bar.

MORE PICTURES IN GALLERY HERE
Old 02-06-2005, 07:09 PM

arcticdog,
now that's one saweet set-up! awesome light (580's) and rail system. clean install.
mine wouldn't be as elaborate, just a board rack enough for four. i like the all black color of the railing feet.

thanks for the pics, they're awesome!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 is300
Hello, I would like to ask if you had an experienced with loud noise after you install the crossbar. I just installed mine profile 2000 cross bar today, but I experienced extremely loud gush noise when I opened the sunroof. and barable gush noise when all windows are closed when I drove at 60mph?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
Great setup!!!

If I have head room in my garage I would go that route also, but unfortunatly I can only install the cross bars.

Question, notice you have the AUX and the GPS at the same time. Is it possible? Thought its one or the other.
Nav
Xenon
Servo
Folded Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Heated Seats
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon153
arcticdog,
now that's one saweet set-up! awesome light (580's) and rail system. clean install.
mine wouldn't be as elaborate, just a board rack enough for four. i like the all black color of the railing feet.

thanks for the pics, they're awesome!
I normally wouldn't have the cargo basket up there, but I'm preparing for a big road trip. The 725 ski/board carrier that I have from a previous vehicle will easily mount onto the load bars.

I recently went into my dealership and they had in the showroom a fully accessorized X3 (with the BMW base-support cross bars and ski/snowboard attachments, as well as the rear DVD entertainment system). The BMW crossbars are obviously made specifically for the vehicle, so the length lines up exactly to the side rails. The footing also looks more streamlined. The BMW crossbar has a slot similar to the slot in the two rails inside the cargo area. However the bars are silver colored with black foot attachments. Pick up the X3 Accessories catalog from a dealer and you'll see all the possible attachments.

I went with the Thule system because I already had the Thule ski carrier from before. Thule also has a good lock system whereby you can get enough locking cylinders for all your accessories to be operated by the same key. Thule is not the cheapest, but it's not as expensive as BMW either. Finally, I can also take everything with me for use on another vehicle.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill007
Question, notice you have the AUX and the GPS at the same time. Is it possible? Thought its one or the other.
YES. I have Navigation and the Premium Audio. The aux input DOES work. Volume control on the head unit and steering wheel works. AUX is selected through the mode button on the head unit (i.e. Radio -> CD -> Aux)

However, I've been told that the ipod-your-bmw interface (the thing that adds track control via the steering wheel buttons, etc.) DOES NOT work with the Premium Audio.
To me personally, the ipod-your-bmw interface is not perfect since you're limited to 5 playlists which all have to be pre-defined for use with the interface, and the song/artist/album info does not display on the Nav screen or head unit. The AUX setup works fine for me.