Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Caveman

Mein Auto: X1
Ran over a trench, now car vibrates while driving...

My wife and I were driving to the gym yesterday morning. Just before we enter the on-ramp to the highway, we ran over a utility trench that was not fully patched by ConEd after some electrical work. It was a scary moment because the impact was so hard and so loud. I pulled over to the side of the road immediately and checked on all the wheels & tires, they were just fine. However, once I got on to the Belt Pkwy, I started to feel the vibrations on the steering wheel. It's not vibrating to the point where you can see it, but you can definitely hear the noise which was never there before, and you can feel it everywhere. In the afternoon, we went back to that location and took some pictures. The trench slopes down sort of evenly but then there's this 3-4 inches of vertical jump back to the road.

I am wondering what I should do now in order to correct the problem. Will the warranty cover this type of "damage"? Should I go after ConEd for the repair cost? Please advise.

Last edited by sk330i; 02-08-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Stick Drive

Mein Auto: 330i, 911E, UZJ100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk330i
My wife and I were driving to the gym yesterday morning, we ran over a utility trench that was not fully patched by ConEd after some electrical work. It was a scary moment because the impact was so hard and so loud. I pulled over to the side of the road immediately and checked on all the wheels & tires, they were just fine. However, once I got on to the Belt Pkwy, I started to feel the vibrations on the steering wheel. It's not vibrating to the point where you can see it, but you can definitely hear the noise which was never there before, and you can feel it everywhere. In the afternoon, we went back to that location and took some pictures, the trench slopes down sort of evenly but then there's this 3-4 inches of vertical jump back to the road.

I am wondering what I should do now in order to correct the problem. Will the warranty cover this type of "damage"? Should I go after ConEd for the repair cost? Please advise.

Sounds like you threw a tire balance weight; you need to have your tire re-balanced by either your dealer or a good tire shop. You should also have your alignment and wheels checked as well.

Unfortunatly, this will propably not be covered under warranty unless you have tire and wheel coverage (cost extra, you would know if you have it).

In regarde to ConEd, I would take a picture of the condition right away for your records and call them and explain your problem to see what they say.

Good luck!

Last edited by drmwvr; 02-06-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmwvr
Sounds like you threw a tire balance weight; you need to have your tire re-balanced by either your dealer or a good tire shop. You should also have your alignment and wheels checked as well.

Unfortunatly, this will propably not be covered under warranty unless you have tire and wheel coverage (cost extra, you would know if you have it).

In regarde to ConEd, I would take a picture of the condition right away for your records and call them and explain your problem to see what they say.

Good luck!

Depending on the impact you may have damaged one of the rims (you can't necessarily see it without removing it), which may increase the cost of repair significantly. Unfortunately having low profile tires does have a major disadvantage, the rims damage easily.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Agreed with above replies, it sounds like bent rim(s).
Old 02-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3, E46 330i
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. If it makes you feel any better--I blew out two tires and bent both rims Friday night in a pot hole on the LIE. Here is the link to the post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86696
If you were getting on Beltparkway,I am guessing you were in Queens or Brooklyn and I am not sure if that falls in NYC, but I was sent a link on my post by Terry Kennedy(thank you) to file a automobile property damage claim against NYC for reimbursement. Here is the link http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/burea...mage_claim.pdf
hope things work out for you
Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Caveman

If the rims are bent, can they be repaired? Or will I have to get new ones? I wonder how much the rims are going now 225/45R-17...

Any recommendations for a tire shop in NYC?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxny
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. If it makes you feel any better--I blew out two tires and bent both rims Friday night in a pot hole on the LIE. Here is the link to the post http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86696
If you were getting on Beltparkway,I am guessing you were in Queens or Brooklyn and I am not sure if that falls in NYC, but I was sent a link on my post by Terry Kennedy(thank you) to file a automobile property damage claim against NYC for reimbursement. Here is the link http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov/burea...mage_claim.pdf
hope things work out for you
Madmaxny, thanks for the info. I read your post this morning. I guess the damage on my car is not as bad as yours...

As fas as claiming the city, I don't think it applies in my case since this isn't like a pot hole. It a trench dug up by ConEd, they didn't patch it back 100% afterward. So, if I really wanted to seek reimbursement, it would be ConEd instead of NYC.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325i Sport/Manual
Probably a bent wheel(s)

Bending a wheel in the NE is a very common occurance. A wheel is made to bend or give in order to save your more expensive suspension. The first thing you have to do is have them tested at a local wheel shop. Bent or unbalanced wheels will be noticeable via the steering wheel while driving and a bent rear wheel will be felt in your ass usually. You can swap wheels around to pinpoint the culprit or spend money on a shop to do it for you. Once you determine that you have a bent wheel or wheels, you can possibly have it fixed at a place like this http://www.wheelcollision.com/ or find one on ebay for $100-$200. You could spend $100 to fix it and still not have it 100% true or you can buy a true used one for @$100 or so. good luck
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Caveman

Just went to a mechanic this evening. The left front rim is bent on the inside, all the other 3 rims are ok. Now my question is if I should just swap it with the spare and forget about fixing it? Or should I just buy a new one? If I swap the spare, then my front tires won't match (10k on right, 0 on left). Any thoughts?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Just went to a mechanic this evening. The left front rim is bent on the inside, all the other 3 rims are ok. Now my question is if I should just swap it with the spare and forget about fixing it? Or should I just buy a new one? If I swap the spare, then my front tires won't match (10k on right, 0 on left). Any thoughts?
Spare rim (full size naturally) makes a perfect swap rim. I would probably install the old tire on the spare rim although it might not make a significant difference (depends on the wear pattern of the tire more than actual mileage). I would also get the damaged rim repaired ($100US approx.), it is well worth it.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Caveman

I checked www.bmwwheels.com and they have my wheel for $307 shipped. I don't know if those are OEM or not. Either way I thought it would be better just to get a new one instead of fixing it (for ~$200 - $250 @ wheelcollision.com).
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I checked www.bmwwheels.com and they have my wheel for $307 shipped. I don't know if those are OEM or not. Either way I thought it would be better just to get a new one instead of fixing it (for ~$200 - $250 @ wheelcollision.com).

I would shop to have the wheel repaired, it cost me $125 Canadian a year ago to have one repaired. Beats the price of a new OEM anytime and you could not tell the difference with the other ones. BTW I would not buy a reproduction as it is probably different in some means to the OEM. I would assume that a new OEM is probably way more expensive than $307 US.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLuckyPuppy
I would shop to have the wheel repaired, it cost me $125 Canadian a year ago to have one repaired. Beats the price of a new OEM anytime and you could not tell the difference with the other ones. BTW I would not buy a reproduction as it is probably different in some means to the OEM. I would assume that a new OEM is probably way more expensive than $307 US.

Good luck!
I just asked the guys @ bmwwheels.com, they told me the rim is OEM for $307 shipped...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I just asked the guys @ bmwwheels.com, they told me the rim is OEM for $307 shipped...
Look at it on the bright side, it could have costed alot more. Take my example, 2 years ago 1 rim damaged, 1 shock tower out of commission and two tires gone on my Subie (pothhole the size of Manhattan). Last year on my BMW two rims dented (cheaper to replace than repair as aftermarket) after a I hit another pothole!!! Nothing like that ever happened to me b4, I guess a mixture of low profile tires and roads in a pitiful condition. Mind you I do about 30,000 miles a year of driving which increases the probability of finding potholes.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Caveman

I contacted ConEd today. They asked me to fix whatever's been damaged and send a claim through. They will then decide who's responsible for it. ConEd said they will pay for the damage if it's their fault, however if it's the contractor's fault, they will claim it through the contractor's insurance.

Before I put in a claim, I decided to give the contractor a chance to fix the problem so it would not affect their reputation with ConEd or their insurance. This guy whom I talked to on the phone from the contracting firm is not in power to make a decision. But he'd rather settle this between us than to get ConEd involved...just as I thought. So I will call the boss tomorrow and see what he has to say.

They should have put road plates or patch the trench so I wouldn't have to go through this... Well, let's hope they will pay for the rim. I have yet to get the alignment checked out...

Last edited by sk330i; 02-09-2005 at 11:52 AM.