Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 PM
BMW_Brand BMW_Brand is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Why oh why only one way down...

Being able to open all the windows and moonroof from the remote is nifty-- but it would be even nicer if I could close them also...




(As far as I know that isn't possible right?)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
iWindows
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2005, 11:43 PM
e36M3r's Avatar
e36M3r e36M3r is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,151
Mein Auto: e46 M3
As you probably know, from outside the car, with the key in the lock you can put them up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Brand
Being able to open all the windows and moonroof from the remote is nifty-- but it would be even nicer if I could close them also...




(As far as I know that isn't possible right?)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2005, 11:55 PM
dynosor's Avatar
dynosor dynosor is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 611
Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Very simple. Its for safety

If you stood somewhere in range and closed the windows, but could not actually see the car, you might pinch someone and hurt them.

Closing the windows with the key in the door lock implies that you are close enough to verify no bystander risk.

This may seem silly, but considering how many people inadvertantly open all widows by pressing the unlock button of the remote in their pocket without intending, they might just as easily close the windows unintentionally.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2005, 07:55 AM
BMW_Brand BMW_Brand is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor
If you stood somewhere in range and closed the windows, but could not actually see the car, you might pinch someone and hurt them.

Closing the windows with the key in the door lock implies that you are close enough to verify no bystander risk.

This may seem silly, but considering how many people inadvertantly open all widows by pressing the unlock button of the remote in their pocket without intending, they might just as easily close the windows unintentionally.

Truthfully, that's what I figured BMW's reason was. However the windows do have sensors I believe, so something like that wouldn't happen...


The whole reason I brought this up is because my friend's A4 has the ability to do it
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Jim H's Avatar
Jim H Jim H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Annapolis, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 561
Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
OK, I know this is probably in my manual somewhere, but how do I do both of these...opening the windows remotely, and closing them (even with the key in the door)?
Thanks!
-Jim
__________________
My Rides:
1998 BMW 323is: Arctic Silver/grey, 5 spd, premium package, etc.
1970 Triumph TR6 PI: Euro-spec, 4 spd w/electric overdrive, 2.5L I-6 w/petrol injection
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:25 AM
KrisL's Avatar
KrisL KrisL is offline
Ubergeek
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,643
Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H
OK, I know this is probably in my manual somewhere, but how do I do both of these...opening the windows remotely, and closing them (even with the key in the door)?
Thanks!
-Jim

To open remotely: hold down the unlock button.


To close: Stick key in driver's door, turn 90 degrees clockwise like you would to lock the doors - only keep the key in that position while the windows go up.


Like Kaz said, you can purchase iWindows which will let you roll the windows up with the remote. I have it, it works as advertised. Installation takes roughly 30 seconds (if you have NAV... otherwise, maybe 5 minutes because you don't have the left panel access door inside of the trunk).

http://www.tvonnav.com/iwindows.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Jim H's Avatar
Jim H Jim H is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Annapolis, MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 561
Mein Auto: '98 323is/'70 TR6 PI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
To open remotely: hold down the unlock button.


To close: Stick key in driver's door, turn 90 degrees clockwise like you would to lock the doors - only keep the key in that position while the windows go up.


Like Kaz said, you can purchase iWindows which will let you roll the windows up with the remote. I have it, it works as advertised. Installation takes roughly 30 seconds (if you have NAV... otherwise, maybe 5 minutes because you don't have the left panel access door inside of the trunk).

http://www.tvonnav.com/iwindows.html
Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I tried to roll the windows up the other day by putting the key in, turning it, and holding it, and it did not work. Perhaps I did not hold it long enough? I'll have to try again...
__________________
My Rides:
1998 BMW 323is: Arctic Silver/grey, 5 spd, premium package, etc.
1970 Triumph TR6 PI: Euro-spec, 4 spd w/electric overdrive, 2.5L I-6 w/petrol injection
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
BMW_Brand BMW_Brand is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
iWindows

I thought that was some sort of joke. I checked out the site on iWindows. AMAZING! I am definately getting it. Thanks!


(For those who want to see a video of it, go here http://www.burntsheep.com/tvonnav/iwindowsdemo.wmv )
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
cwsqbm's Avatar
cwsqbm cwsqbm is offline
Dreaming of Track Days
Location: Somewhere in the aether
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,051
Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
I conidered them, but because of this info under the coupe section:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwindows website
When windows are put up using the iWindows Module the windows will go down the 1/4" when the door is opened, however the windows will *not* go back up the 1/4" when the door is closed.
I'm leary of the window not going back up. What, now I have to manually put the windows up the last 1/4" when inside car? The other problem is pinch protection is not active.
__________________
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
BMW_Brand BMW_Brand is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
I'm leary of the window not going back up. What, now I have to manually put the windows up the last 1/4" when inside car? The other problem is pinch protection is not active.


The site says that 1/4" problem is only for coupes-- good thing I have a sedan

The lack of pinch protection does pose a problem, will just have to make sure no one is around I guess...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:19 PM
SikUnt330Ci SikUnt330Ci is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 330Ci
You can close the windows:
-with the remote without iWindows
-without having your key in the lock
I do it on mine all the time

when your Windows/Moonroof are open, lock the car with the remote
Then press the lock button again, but hold onto it this time.
Give it a couple of seconds and all windows/moonroof should start to close.

Last edited by SikUnt330Ci; 02-09-2005 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 PM
KrisL's Avatar
KrisL KrisL is offline
Ubergeek
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,643
Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikUnt330Ci
You can close the windows:
-with the remote without iWindows
-without having your key in the lock
I do it on mine all the time

when your Windows/Moonroof are open, lock the car with the remote
Then press the lock button again, but hold onto it this time.
Give it a couple of seconds and all windows/moonroof should start to close.

You can do this because you are not in the letigious USA. Here, roll-up w/ remote is disabled .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:51 PM
andy_thomas andy_thomas is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,585
Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
You can do this because you are not in the letigious USA. Here, roll-up w/ remote is disabled .
...this implies that only a re-code of the central body electronics module (or the E46 equivalent of whatever controls the windows) stands between you and remote roll-up windows.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM
SikUnt330Ci SikUnt330Ci is offline
Registered User
Location: Sydney
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
You can do this because you are not in the letigious USA. Here, roll-up w/ remote is disabled .
Well that kinda sucks then...
You have to purchase a 3rd party product to use a "Disabled Function" on your vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Kaz's Avatar
Kaz Kaz is offline
King of Rear Clunks
Location: OC, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,907
Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
...this implies that only a re-code of the central body electronics module (or the E46 equivalent of whatever controls the windows) stands between you and remote roll-up windows.
Apparently this has been researched to death with no results, hence the aftermarket products.
__________________
2001 325i Touring Alpinweiss/Anthracite cloth, Alpina Softline
1988 M6 Royalblau/Silbergrau Nappa
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2005, 12:14 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,137
Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Because there are too many lawyers here in the good US of A looking for work
__________________
Dan
'03 325i OrBlu, MT, PP, SP
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite, AT, SP, CP
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 PM
rgzimmer rgzimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 579
Mein Auto: '10 328i; '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor
If you stood somewhere in range and closed the windows, but could not actually see the car, you might pinch someone and hurt them.

Closing the windows with the key in the door lock implies that you are close enough to verify no bystander risk.

This may seem silly, but considering how many people inadvertantly open all widows by pressing the unlock button of the remote in their pocket without intending, they might just as easily close the windows unintentionally.
Like this could ever happen with the < 10' range of these crappy remotes. I can see insde my car by the time my remote is in range.

Of course, there's always the chin tric to get around it, though.
__________________
<img src=http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2304&pictureid=10885 border=0 alt= />
__________________________

1993 325i - Gray/Gray (sold)
2004 325Cic - Gray/Gray (sold)
2005 330Cic White/Saddle (sold)
2006 330i - TiAg/Black (sold)
2009 335i E90 M Sport Space Gray/Chestnut
2010 328i E93 Alpine White/Saddle (sold)
2012 X5 35d Black Sapphire/Cinnamon
2015 M3 F80 Sakhir Orange/Sakhir Orange Extended (on order)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms