Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i, X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger
I don't like either bass or treble to dominate the music (unless the original music was recorded that way). I don't want to have it so loud that it entertains (or annoys) people a block away...
I want my music to sound as close to the original performance as I can, excepting for volume -- the Grateful Dead's "wall of sound" would just be TOO loud in a car -- and I happen to run the HK system in my 325xiT dead flat -- everything at centre --- and it sounds just fine to me. It might not to you, but as Bob Dylan once said: "You are right from your side and I am right from mine..."
This topic of "good vs bad" system has been discussed many times in the past. If you really pay attention to each thread that people said, you'll find that most people who appreciate or have knowledge on accurate audio reproduction will find the HK system at least acceptable, or decent. Their interpretation of "good or bad" is how FAITHFUL the source is being reproduced. Those who constantly complain about the HK system are the ones who are more concerned about what they like. Their interpretation of "good or bad" is how much they LIKE the sound of the system. Based on two different sets of definition, agreement will never be reached.

Ask yourself if you put a poor sounding CD in the system, you PREFER it to sound bad or good? If your answer is "bad", then you are in the first group. If your answer is "good", then you are in the second group.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Ring Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Dirtboy Send a message via AIM to Dirtboy Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Mein Auto: E46 E83 E30- all M sport!
One thing I did to improve the sound from my system was put 150hz high-pass filters on all the main channels. That got rid of alot of the distortion from too much bass out of the main channels. The "subs" were left unfiltered. I also have the bass set on 0 and treble about halfway to max (scale 1-10, on 5?). Good enough for me.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Thanks for all the replies. How do you turn down the speed sensitive volume?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Oh, that's right, these cars do have a stereo... Yeah, now I remember, I used it during the break-in period to drown out the exhaust/engine sounds in a feeble attempt to resist the temptation to cross over to the dark side (+4000 rpm). Now that the car is past the break-in period I have no use for the stereo!

For what it's worth, I do think the HK sounds better than a non-HK system. Like BahnBaum, jetstream23, and others, I don't care to crank the tunes up so loud that they can be clearly heard outside of my car. Of course if you were to ask me, I'd say If you don't think the HK system is good enough you might be driving the wrong car.

But seriously, The HK system isn't bad. If it's not enough for you, just upgrade to after market.