Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-19-2005, 05:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to hchon Send a message via MSN to hchon
Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4
Bluetooth with non-bluetooth phones

Can I use the bluetooth adaptor that I can buy with most of the bluetooth headsets to use with the bluetooth retrofit kit? The kind that plugs into non-bluetooth phones earphone plugs to enable bluetooth.

I am tied to Nextel and by the time they come out with bluetooth enabled phones my X5 may be resting peacefully in the junkyard.

hchon
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchon
Can I use the bluetooth adaptor that I can buy with most of the bluetooth headsets to use with the bluetooth retrofit kit? The kind that plugs into non-bluetooth phones earphone plugs to enable bluetooth.

I am tied to Nextel and by the time they come out with bluetooth enabled phones my X5 may be resting peacefully in the junkyard.

hchon
No, unfortunately those type of BT adaptors for non-BT phones only work with the Headset profile. The BMW ULF requires the proper implementation of the Handsfree profile, so those devices will not work.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCrewX5
No, unfortunately those type of BT adaptors for non-BT phones only work with the Headset profile. The BMW ULF requires the proper implementation of the Handsfree profile, so those devices will not work.
I see. How about these adaptors that claim to work with any headsets or handsfree car kit? Would handsfree car kit be of headset profile? How can I tell?

hchon
Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchon
I see. How about these adaptors that claim to work with any headsets or handsfree car kit? Would handsfree car kit be of headset profile? How can I tell?

hchon
I have yet to hear of any non-BT phone using an adaptor that functions with the BMW BT ULF.

I'm surprised that Motorola, who makes most if not all of the Nextel iDEN phones and is now the OEM manufacturer for the BMW Bluetooth system, hasn't come out with a Nextel phone that supports Bluetooth.

However, in that Sprint is buying Nextel and will likely eliminate iDEN as it integrates the two networks together, Motorola may see the handwriting on the wall and won't invest the R&D to make an iDEN phone with Bluetooth support.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that Motorola, who makes most if not all of the Nextel iDEN phones and is now the OEM manufacturer for the BMW Bluetooth system, hasn't come out with a Nextel phone that supports Bluetooth.
Trust me, there is no incentive for Motorola to "waste" their resources on developing phones for Nextel when it is the monopoly supplier. Motorola sets the development schedule and they can afford to focus their resources on phones for GPRS and CDMA where competition forces them to innovate.

Quote:
However, in that Sprint is buying Nextel and will likely eliminate iDEN as it integrates the two networks together, Motorola may see the handwriting on the wall and won't invest the R&D to make an iDEN phone with Bluetooth support.
There is a bluetooth phone coming this year, I think, and Sprint merger would not mean an immediate death of iDEN network. DirectConnect is way too popular and so far quite superior to any solution based on CDMA.

Thanks though. I learned a lot from the research for this subject.

hchon