Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AMG ML63, M3 CSL, B7 RS4
First exhaust products for the 4.8is

As I mentioned in an earlier thread a fellow 4.8is owner who runs Thorney Motorsport has developed a new exhaust system (as if it needed it!) for the 4.8is in conjunction with Milltek Exhuasts.

I will post a few vids and see what you think..

http://www.trackdaycam.co.uk/Milltek.../x5driveby.avi

http://www.trackdaycam.co.uk/Milltek...s/x5static.avi

Here's some details/impressions in his own words...

"On my (development) car we;ve gone for a full race system (the only aftermarket exhaust in the World for the 4.8 using 200 cell race cats ) and the difference to power and torque is as expected - huge difference. The car will now pull in 6th (in D) as low as 900rpm due to extra breathing and initially the auto box needed a couple of miles to adjust to the fact that it could simply do more without needing to change down. Accelleration from 70-120 is significantly improved, and it pulls hust as hard above 4500rpm to below (previosuly I thought the car started to get wheezy above 5k).

We don't expect to sell many of these systems (if any at all tbh) but we really wanted to see what we could do. Noise wise its another World.......if the car wasn't a head turner before it is now, Beaconsfield High Street came to a standstill the first time I drove down it , the noise rebounds off walls and buildings to such a level its hard not to sit there grinning like an idiot.

Unlike the 4.6i system (that some other exhaust manufacturers use for the 4.8is) We've gone for wider diameter pipe throughout and changed the rear tips to slighter larger than OEM, a lot of the sound comes from the tips we think. Inside the car it is more audible but only when accelerating and on cruise mode you'd barely know, its broadly similar to the M5 and much quieter than the M3. Static db is up from 88.9db (stock) to 91db (Millteks).

I've done 400 miles on them so far and the cats have made a tremendous difference above 4k, car feels completely different. I'm averaging 19.6mpg now which is a bit better than the 18.9mpg I was doing before. Its far too early to tell the mpg differences yet of course."
Old 02-20-2005, 02:11 PM
dj Vroom (dazh Vroom

Send a message via AIM to dsheli
Mein Auto: GulfStream G450
Those racing stripes look so bad. It makes it look like a mini cooper which i love.
David

BMW X5 3.0i (Oxford Grn)
BMW 530i
Subaru Outback
My Site (Car Blog )
Old 02-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Sounds very menacing! Very similar to the Eisenmann Race.

But I'm surprised you notice such a "huge difference in power and torque" from just a cat-back exhaust.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 4.6IS, 2500HD, CAT 330BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved
As I mentioned in an earlier thread a fellow 4.8is owner who runs Thorney Motorsport has developed a new exhaust system (as if it needed it!) for the 4.8is in conjunction with Milltek Exhuasts.

I will post a few vids and see what you think..

http://www.trackdaycam.co.uk/Milltek.../x5driveby.avi

http://www.trackdaycam.co.uk/Milltek...s/x5static.avi

Here's some details/impressions in his own words...

"On my (development) car we;ve gone for a full race system (the only aftermarket exhaust in the World for the 4.8 using 200 cell race cats ) and the difference to power and torque is as expected - huge difference. The car will now pull in 6th (in D) as low as 900rpm due to extra breathing and initially the auto box needed a couple of miles to adjust to the fact that it could simply do more without needing to change down. Accelleration from 70-120 is significantly improved, and it pulls hust as hard above 4500rpm to below (previosuly I thought the car started to get wheezy above 5k).

We don't expect to sell many of these systems (if any at all tbh) but we really wanted to see what we could do. Noise wise its another World.......if the car wasn't a head turner before it is now, Beaconsfield High Street came to a standstill the first time I drove down it , the noise rebounds off walls and buildings to such a level its hard not to sit there grinning like an idiot.

Unlike the 4.6i system (that some other exhaust manufacturers use for the 4.8is) We've gone for wider diameter pipe throughout and changed the rear tips to slighter larger than OEM, a lot of the sound comes from the tips we think. Inside the car it is more audible but only when accelerating and on cruise mode you'd barely know, its broadly similar to the M5 and much quieter than the M3. Static db is up from 88.9db (stock) to 91db (Millteks).

I've done 400 miles on them so far and the cats have made a tremendous difference above 4k, car feels completely different. I'm averaging 19.6mpg now which is a bit better than the 18.9mpg I was doing before. Its far too early to tell the mpg differences yet of course."
IMO it sounds just like my 4.6 with eisenmann race
Old 02-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesv12
IMO it sounds just like my 4.6 with eisenmann race
That's what I thought also. Eisenmann has an exhaust for the 4.8 also.

Eisenmann exhaust
Old 02-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AMG ML63, M3 CSL, B7 RS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by breytonX5
That's what I thought also. Eisenmann has an exhaust for the 4.8 also.

Eisenmann exhaust
As I understand the Eisenmann system is a 4.6is one, whereas this Milltek exhaust has been totally designed for the 4.8is.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8IS
Hi, SteveD pointed me to this thread so I thought I'd say hello. (hi Steve)

I am actually the UK distributor for BMW systems (and GM and Lotus) for Milltek and look after a lot of their product development and marketing so this car has been developed as a 'halo' for all our race sponsorship and track events we run with BMW.

The reason the power is so noiticable is that it runs 200 cell, HJS race cats, all other manufacturer systems run with stock 400 cell cats in so the extra breathing is very noticeable. Millteks best selling system (in the US) is the 4.2 S4 V8 Audi and with race cats on they generate large amounts of power as well (although the 4.8 seem to be even better in this respect).

Another difference is that we decided not to use the 4.6 system we have as we figured the 4.8 (with greater displacement) could handle bigger bore pipe than the 4.6 so its is completely new.

The rest of the car may also be of interest, we're working with AP Racing for a one off set of 6 pot/4pot brakes, a revised air suspension set up allowing you to override the different levels at speed, a paddle shift kit using all OEM BMW parts rather than a couple of bits of wire, Oz split rims, CSL seats, we'll then use it on track for fun and promotion and it will be one of the safety cars for a BMW race series we're title sponsor to.

All of the upgrades we offer are on www.ultimatex5.com but if you're interested in the systems then best to contact our US distributor - Stratmosphere. (moderatros, please delete this bit if you consider it a commercial post, I run a couple of forums myself so I wouldn't want to break any rules you may have)

PS. The viper stripes area bit 'in your face' but I thought it was us Brits who were shy and reserved?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8IS
Here's a picture of the viper stripes when the car was on track for the first time:

Old 02-21-2005, 09:57 AM
dj Vroom (dazh Vroom

Send a message via AIM to dsheli
Mein Auto: GulfStream G450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorney
Here's a picture of the viper stripes when the car was on track for the first time:

Ooooooo. Man I don't know. I think will retract my commit. It is defiantly different.

BMW X5 3.0i (Oxford Grn)
BMW 530i
Subaru Outback
My Site (Car Blog )