Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 02 m3
rear main sunshade help wanted

Somehow the rear sunshade tab has retracted itself almost flush with the door panel. I can pry it up somewhat, but fear breaking something...either the shade or the door panel.

I'm guessing that I need to remove the door panel to access the window shade...how do I do this? For a neophyte DIY is this particularly difficult?

Any little bits that fall out and disappear that are critical to the reassembly?
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
I haven't removed a rear door panel but I have a front. You just need to go slowly and carefully and make sure that you take all the fasteners out. Anything that need prying, try to use a piece of wood (ruler, popsicle stick, chopstick) because it is softer than a screwdriver.

Start with the armrest/handle on the door and look carefully for screws or the little pieces they use to hid the screws.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanm3
Somehow the rear sunshade tab has retracted itself almost flush with the door panel. I can pry it up somewhat, but fear breaking something...either the shade or the door panel.

I'm guessing that I need to remove the door panel to access the window shade...how do I do this? For a neophyte DIY is this particularly difficult?

Any little bits that fall out and disappear that are critical to the reassembly?
The shaded rear door panels are secured to the door in lots of places. Nothing like the standard ones! Follow these steps otherwise you will surely break or stress something.

1) Remove quarter window shade assembly. Insert tiny slotted screwdriver into the slot at the top to release the spring clip holding it on. Push clip upward.
2) Once quarter window shade is removed, 3 screws will be visible on the metal partition. Remove the lowest screw, which secures the bottom clip.
3) Remove the wood trim on the door. You will see two holes at the outer edges. Inside these holes are two black Phillips head screws. Remove. Do not remove the two EXPOSED gray screws. You only want to remove the ones in the holes.

After that is done, you can proceed to remove the door panel as you would a standard one--pop the plastic screw cover off behind the door lever, pull top of panel away from door molding, remove electrical connections, etc.