Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
I need advice about a potential repair.

My car broke down about a week ago when the radiator went. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer (Gallery - Norwood) who replaced the radiator. They also said the my lower control arms are "totally shot". I had the arms replaced 23 months ago at my regular dealer(Wagner Motors). They cost $900. Since Wagner warranties repairs for 24 months, I took it back there for them to check them.
Wagner says that the control arms are fine, that the Gallery is wrong.
It would be one thing if it was the A/C compressor in question, but this is a safety issue. A control arm failure could be fatal.
Both dealers have a financial interest in this. The Gallery wants the $ to replace them. Wagner may not want to replace them because it would be a warranty repair.
I tend to believe Wagner (they're usually OK), but I'm not willing to bet my safety on them.

Any advice?
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Third opinion needed BUT not from a dealership. Know of a good independent BMW mechanic in the area? Give him the whole story, i.e., it's potentially a warranty issue.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:54 AM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Joker
My car broke down about a week ago when the radiator went. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer (Gallery - Norwood) who replaced the radiator. They also said the my lower control arms are "totally shot". I had the arms replaced 23 months ago at my regular dealer(Wagner Motors). They cost $900. Since Wagner warranties repairs for 24 months, I took it back there for them to check them.
Wagner says that the control arms are fine, that the Gallery is wrong.
It would be one thing if it was the A/C compressor in question, but this is a safety issue. A control arm failure could be fatal.
Both dealers have a financial interest in this. The Gallery wants the $ to replace them. Wagner may not want to replace them because it would be a warranty repair.
I tend to believe Wagner (they're usually OK), but I'm not willing to bet my safety on them.

Any advice?
Call Chip at Autobahn Automotive in Natick or Jim at Albright Mighty Motors in Somerville - they will tell you for sure and probably estimate it for free or a nominal fee at most. I personally stay away from the Gallery - they were dishonest when I was purchasing my car 4 years ago.

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com

Last edited by brave1heart; 03-16-2005 at 10:12 AM.