Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Nerd

Mein Auto: ist alt.
Test drove the G35 right after the 330i. No comparison. The G35 felt very quick but the Bimmer was so much more fun in the turns.

My biggest turn-off? The G35 seemed to have such a cheap interior. Heck, the carpet in the dealership's brand new car was already pulling away from the floor. The dealer was stupid for having this one on display, it was obviously poor quality from the factory and was a huge turnoff.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
I'm new to the forum, but I'll gladly throw in my two-cents here. I come from an 02 330ci and just moved into an 05 330i ZHP. The only other contender that I was interested in was the G35 6MT (sedan). Honestly, I wasn't even really considering the 330i, the fact that I ended up with it was a bit of a fluke. Anyway, I was pretty dead-certain I was going to replace my Ci with the new G ... the G's a great car, especially for the money. I drove it a couple of times, and while I liked it, a few quibbles really nagged me. Number one...its ROUGH. Granted, my expectations were skewed coming from a BMW inline-six, but the Infiniti VQ six, while powerful as all-get-out, is ROUGH. Second, was the noise. Third, it rode worse than my 3-series, and fourth the interior wasn't up to the E46 standards. (I know you're worried about the 3's interior, but to me, it is one of the BEST driver-oriented interiors...period).

So, last minute, just before I was driving to buy the G, I learned about the Feb incentives on the 3. Well, that sealed the deal for me, as now I had a new 330i (ZHP no less) within 2K of a G35. It was a no-brainer for me at least.

Drive them both, and don't forget about the BMW incentives that are available...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i, 89 325i
Speaking from practical experience:

I have a 2000 328i sedan with Prem/sport packages (5spd of course) and my wife drives an 04 Infiniti G35x AT sedan.

Now, I do understand that the G35 coupe and sedan are different beasts, and also that the x with AWD is a big difference. The quality of both cars is amazing...I bought the bimmer a year ago used at 41k and other than change the oil, I have only done brake pads (cost of an hour and less than $100 for me to do it). The G35 we've had since new and only changed the oil. At 9k, everything is perfect (as it should be!)

Both cars are a lot of fun in different ways...Infiniti certainly put a lot of pep into their engine tuning...at with the AT the car really likes to jump ahead. I wish it had a manual, but we already have two MT cars...

The infiniti has lots of performance and conveince features which are standard, and the car is very comfortable to drive. However, between the two cars the little details that BMW always account for make a difference to me. The 328 is a bit smaller and more comfortable. It (Bimmer) is a harsher ride, but the handling is more precise on the BMW.

I love that every single bolt on the whole BMW has had special attention in design. The infiniti handles well...it has power, it is certainly quality make...but overall the BMW materials are a bit nicer...and the bottom line for me is that the BMW has more passion when you drive it. I can't really explain, but german cars have passion. Two bimmers and a benz right now, they have passion, they are a driver's car. The infiniti is a close second, but something is just missing.

Honestly though, drive both and figure out which you like more...either way it's a good buy. Infiniti has no scheduled maintence until like 110k (not that I really believe that...), so you don't have to worry about free service like the bimmer. And honestly the Infiniti will probably have less go wrong with it.

The G35 couple is hot though. Plus you get almost every feature standard in the price.
If you go bimmer, you have to get the sport package.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrada
Putting all mechanical aspects aside,

BMW is more prestigious.
Infinity is a luxury Nissan.

Just do this test, tell a friend you drive a BMW, and they go wow, you must be making some good money... etc etc.

Tell them you drive an Infinity and they might say, nice car...
So typical...
Old 03-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330i ZHP
I test drove an 04 G35 6MT coupe before buying my 04 330i w/perf. pack.

I really wanted to like the Infiniti. I love the looks of the exterior (at least from the side
and the rear). BUT, the interior is just plain boom-box cheap, like all of the Nissan family.
At least, IMHO.

But it was the drive that really pushed me away from it. Compared to the BMW, it is downright crude. The level of vibration from the drivetrain into the cabin is completely unacceptable. Yes, it will grip pretty well, but the brakes seemed really "grabby" and the shifter was notchy and balky.

Seemed to me to be similar to the difference between a refined import and something American. Plenty of brawn, but no finesse.

I have no regrets about the 330. Love the quiet smoothness, love the brakes, love the grip, love the interior, LOVE THIS CAR.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
I'm surprised, given your complaints about the relative lack of torque-iness of the 330. I'm sure the G35 gives a little more kick in the kidneys off the line.

It does. In 2003 it was a kick, in 2005 the upgrades have made the G35 much nicer. Still it's so damn big and it rides so high, I feel like it's gonna teeter over when I'm pushing them. And NVH of that engine was shocking.

I got back into my 330i after running an 05 G35 the other day and boy was I a happy camper. Still anxiously awaiting word of a 4 door m3 in 07/08!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Like most everyone else I also drove the G35 and BMW330i many times before making my decision. Here are my observations:

G35 was very powerful and handled corners well. However, i often (even with DSC on) had the rear end try to swing around on me. Naturally stability control kicked in, causing the car to bounce back and forth while trying to stabilize. The BMW never over compensates, it just always feels solid, it almost defies physics.

The BMW just fit like a glove. Sometimes a car just feels right. Almost an extension of your body. The G35 despite all its glory still felt like a japanese car only better (I was driving a Nissan Altima at the time).

I thought the G35 handled well, until I took it to a gas station. While crawling around at low speeds, I noticed the car felt large and clunky, as opposed to tight and precise at slow speeds like the BMW.

As to the interior, yes the BMW is a bit Spartan, but it's also classy and it looks and feels high quality. The G35, felt much like my Altima. The styling also is very boxy and bland. Thank goodness they fixed the issue with the horrible looking tape deck in the 05 models. Also, the sports seats in the G35 coupe are very tight and almost restrictive (I'm not a small guy). The BMW seats are much more comfortable and accomodating. And yes the BMW is extremely driver oriented. And there are so many subtle details BMW accoutns for, like the heat/cold dial for the main AC vents, and the intermittent wipers rain sensor. While I was driving my new EuroDelivery BMW, I kept finding new little things that amazed me.

Finally, the sedan vs coupe helped sway me. The G35 Sedan styling wasn't so great. Coupe form just wasn't practical if you have a house, or friends. I really wanted to get the G35. I tried so hard to convince myself to save the money and go with the G. But in the end it just didn't feel special. It just felt like another car (a nice car). But the BMW feels different. It feels like a luxury car, it feels like a sports car, and it feels practical, all while feeling Unique and exciting and fresh.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 x35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
Like most everyone else I also drove the G35 and BMW330i many times before making my decision. Here are my observations:

G35 was very powerful and handled corners well. However, i often (even with DSC on) had the rear end try to swing around on me. Naturally stability control kicked in, causing the car to bounce back and forth while trying to stabilize. The BMW never over compensates, it just always feels solid, it almost defies physics.

The BMW just fit like a glove. Sometimes a car just feels right. Almost an extension of your body. The G35 despite all its glory still felt like a japanese car only better (I was driving a Nissan Altima at the time).

I thought the G35 handled well, until I took it to a gas station. While crawling around at low speeds, I noticed the car felt large and clunky, as opposed to tight and precise at slow speeds like the BMW.

As to the interior, yes the BMW is a bit Spartan, but it's also classy and it looks and feels high quality. The G35, felt much like my Altima. The styling also is very boxy and bland. Thank goodness they fixed the issue with the horrible looking tape deck in the 05 models. Also, the sports seats in the G35 coupe are very tight and almost restrictive (I'm not a small guy). The BMW seats are much more comfortable and accomodating. And yes the BMW is extremely driver oriented. And there are so many subtle details BMW accoutns for, like the heat/cold dial for the main AC vents, and the intermittent wipers rain sensor. While I was driving my new EuroDelivery BMW, I kept finding new little things that amazed me.

Finally, the sedan vs coupe helped sway me. The G35 Sedan styling wasn't so great. Coupe form just wasn't practical if you have a house, or friends. I really wanted to get the G35. I tried so hard to convince myself to save the money and go with the G. But in the end it just didn't feel special. It just felt like another car (a nice car). But the BMW feels different. It feels like a luxury car, it feels like a sports car, and it feels practical, all while feeling Unique and exciting and fresh.

As it turns out, I just purchase an '05 330i jet black/black leather with ZPP, ZSP, and nav. Looking forward to picking it up!

Thanks all for your opinions. Very helpful.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerine
As it turns out, I just purchase an '05 330i jet black/black leather with ZPP, ZSP, and nav. Looking forward to picking it up!

Enjoy! Great choice!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
Quote:

And don't forget pics!!

--J
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-17-2005, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
One thing that really shocked me was how fast Infinti's depreciate.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, sport, 5speed
Quote:
Ok folks, been wrestling with this for the past week and it's time to make a decision. I'm looking at either the 330i or the G35 coupe. Yes, two different cars, but the two cars from which I'm going to choose! I've gone through the pros/cons in my head, but emotion has played more of a role than I'd anticipated. And this being potentially my first BMW, I might be overlooking a few things.

Help me out here. What are the pros/cons to getting the 330i over the G35 (or vice versa). Thanks.
I'm gong to replace my 99 328i with an 05 G35 sedan. The G35 doesn't seem as refined as the BMW, but for me I think it will be a satisfactory replacement. There's a number of reasons I'm switching rather than buying another BMW- styling, no sunroof delete, and cost.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Well I drive an Infiniti and a BMW and guess what, I like both. Given, one is a car and one's an SUV (see mein auto) but I've been impressed with 3 years of Infiniti ownership....good dealership, service, excellent reliability....they even give me every 3rd oil service free although they don't have to. Remember, maintenance is built into the price of the BMW and is something to consider.

As a brand...well, BMW is BMW and Infiniti is a really nice car. I looked at the G35 as well since I already owned an Infiniti but decided that, for a car, the 330i handled better and felt more solidly built. I also don't like the post-modern interior of the G35...it just felt too gimicky. Besides, the long tradition and evolution of the 3-series intrigued me and I was excited to drive a car with that German heritage. If you want a 0-60 time, go with the Infiniti or mod the heck out of your car. If you want a timeless, classy, luxury sports sedan that is unique (and I say that because BMW does not have an subordinate group like Infiniti has Nissan) get the Bimmer!

Good luck. I do think you'll be happy with either....just in different ways.

Last edited by jetstream23; 03-17-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:24 AM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Fascinating. I find the E46 interior to be just about perfect. I'd much rather have the E46 interior than the E90 interior. And the G35s interior has, to my eyes, such a 1986 Panasonic Boom Box vibe that it eliminates itself from any consideration on my part... even if it didn't have the ugliest steering wheel I've ever seen.

Different strokes and all...

I love the E46's interior. I was also looking at the G35 and the interior seem cheap. The E'90's interior is a step back....
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe427
There's a number of reasons I'm switching rather than buying another BMW- styling, no sunroof delete, and cost.
It is unfortunate that people equate the sticker price on the window with cost. That is your purchase price not cost.

To me cost is the life cycle cost of the car. The real question should be how much is it going to cost me to own this car during all the years I will own it. Once you add the value of the 4 years of free maintenance and lesser depreciation of a BMW you will realize that owning a BMW will be less than what it costs to own an Infiti.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
A 330 vs a G35c?

I'd go with the 330. I didn't like the driving experience of the G. The exhaust note was too raspy, and maybe a tad too loud. The ride was rough, and yet managed to feel disconnected at the same time. I expect a rough-riding car to at least give you a lot of feel for the road. Also, I found the brake pedal rate to be too high; lacking feel. (Maybe that's something one gets used to). The power was better but the bimmer feels more willing to rev.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, sport, 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
It is unfortunate that people equate the sticker price on the window with cost. That is your purchase price not cost.

To me cost is the life cycle cost of the car. The real question should be how much is it going to cost me to own this car during all the years I will own it. Once you add the value of the 4 years of free maintenance and lesser depreciation of a BMW you will realize that owning a BMW will be less than what it costs to own an Infiti.
Perhaps you're right- its based on my gut feel and something I gleaned from the Internet on projected depreciation for the G35 coupe. I'll know what the BMW costs once I convert it to cash and I'll know about the Infiniti 6yrs. from now, so maybe I'll run some numbers then for actual life cycle costs and do a comparison. Cost was the last reason I mentioned. If I'm wrong about the cost I may have to search for a less expensive nursing home.

Stylewise, I prefer the G35 and at 6'3" sunroofs just don't work for me. I'll miss is the sweet inline 6, the wonderful BMWsport seats, and the leatherette upolstery.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: For fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
It felt cramped, harsh, and noisey. The outstanding resale value of the 330ci and the dirt cheap money factor to lease one equates to a lower monthly payment, even tho the 330ci sticker is $10k more than the similarly equipped G35.

Thats why I just bought one...plus I love the feel of the BMW
Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr530i
The outstanding resale value of the 330ci
"That is a priceless Steinway!"

(let's see if anyone catches the reference)
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528 i, BMW 318i
The BMW 330i is a far superior car, it handles better, looks better, and its well know around the world, that German made made cars handle, and perform better. Sure the G35 has more horsepower but is also heaver, and sure the BMW is more expensive it pays off, because a BMW is considered prestige, and Infiniti has just another Nissan, and it is really a Nissan, and look 10 years down the line, the G35 will be worth squash, while the BMW will still hold value and look good. GO WITH THE BMW 330I MAN !!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528 i, BMW 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
One thing that really shocked me was how fast Infinti's depreciate.

MY POINT EXACTLY ! BMW BABY !
Old 03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW528i_Bilal
Sure the G35 has more horsepower but is also heaver

G35 is only about 50lbs. heavier... I'd think the power difference far outpaces the weight difference.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW528i_Bilal
The BMW 330i is a far superior car, it handles better, looks better, and its well know around the world, that German made made cars handle, and perform better.
Someone should VW that German cars perform well and handle because i'd never confuse my old 01 jetta turbo with a good handling car. Never woulda made that mistake. It's that kinda hyperoble that gets BMW drivers a bad name.

Quote:
Sure the G35 has more horsepower but is also heaver, and sure the BMW is more expensive it pays off, because a BMW is considered prestige,
BMW has prestige? Maybe where you live. In San Diego you can't swing a dead cat without hitting two 3 series and a 5. They're as common as hondas and nobody thinks of them as a luxury brand - just an expensive brand mostly driven by snobs.

Quote:
and Infiniti has just another Nissan, and it is really a Nissan, and look 10 years down the line, the G35 will be worth squash, while the BMW will still hold value and look good. GO WITH THE BMW 330I MAN !!!!!!!!
Actually, G35s are holding their value. The entire infiniti line holds well now. And Acura and Lexus have always held their value. The same of Honda and Toyota. So while one can argue for feel and drive, value is a tough one to prove when the major japanese players all do well in that arena.

My 330i is worth 14-15k less than its msrp (I bought it 22 months ago). Is that good? They say the car will be worth 25k by May of 06. I think that's really optismistic. I'd guess 22k at best.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
"That is a priceless Steinway!"

(let's see if anyone catches the reference)
It's "that's a precious Steinway!"

"Not anymore . . ."
Old 03-18-2005, 03:54 AM
•••••••

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90
It's "that's a precious Steinway!"

"Not anymore . . ."