Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-20-2005, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus ES300
Dealer said 25 miles - it has 119. Would you buy?

Would you still buy with 119 miles? Dealer said it has 25 and was to be flatbedded from another dealership. The car was shipped, but has 119. The distance between the two dealerships does not = 119-25 so someone was lying.

Should I still buy it?
Ads by Google
Old 03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
If it was a niche vehicle (M3, M5, 645), I probably wouldn't want it anymore and would walk.

If it was "just" a 325 or somesuch, I'd negotiate a little bit more off the price. $500 sounds like a nice round number.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek
If it was a niche vehicle (M3, M5, 645), I probably wouldn't want it anymore and would walk.

If it was "just" a 325 or somesuch, I'd negotiate a little bit more off the price. $500 sounds like a nice round number.
I agree, if it was a special model like an M or a 7 I would walk. Try to get a lower price if not choose another one. I've heard stories when people bring these cars from other dealers most of them never driven a bmw outside the dealer lot so they tend to get a crazy when driving on the road.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330i
If you were the person to drive a BMW from one dealer to another
to do a simple swap, wouldn't you drive it like you stole it? Afterall,
it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine". The mentality behind this is
that the driver knows that the car will belong to someone else, so
the proper break-in guidelines will not be enforced.
I just don't believe in purchasing a "new" vehicle with over
15 miles, regardless of any discounts. My $0.02.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Ask the dealership to plug the car into the computer and see if it was redlined the whole time that those 100 and something miles were put on the car. If it was then walk. If not I wouldn't think twice about it. These cars are meant to be driven. It had to get from the other dealership somehow, and it sounds like they just drove it instead of putting it on a flatbed. Or maybe someone at the other dealership took it on a couple of test drives before it was sent to your dealership. Granted, my car only had 3 miles on it went I picked it up, but I special ordered it and didn't expect anyone else to have driven it before me. But you know what? I would have taken it if it had 10 or 100 miles on it. I wasn't planing on keeping it in the garage until it became a collectors item. I'm driving it and enjoying every mile.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
I wouldn't take it.

--SONET
Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Eat my special ZHP shorts

Send a message via AIM to Aknatar
Mein Auto: 330i
I don't think its a big deal, yeah they probably didn't baby the car but break in is over-rated anyway
Old 03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Take it, but only after a thorough inspection... Look at the production date. If the car is an "old unit" it may have "lot rot". If those miles are the result of many demo drives it's not the same thing as one or two longer trips. In the case of the former there may have been lots of starts and stops, not to mention door dings or body imperfections.

Summary: look at production date, inspect vehicle thoroughly.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: a beater right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerine
Would you still buy with 119 miles? Dealer said it has 25 and was to be flatbedded from another dealership. The car was shipped, but has 119. The distance between the two dealerships does not = 119-25 so someone was lying.

Should I still buy it?

I put 14 miles on a car I test drove a few months ago. That route included a road with some curves and the stretch between exits on the Interstate. People do take cars out to drive. A car may be driven down to put gas in the tank, or taken to a detailer.

I am leary of many dealers but I don't believe anyone goes this far and is intentionally lying.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus ES300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Take it, but only after a thorough inspection... Look at the production date. If the car is an "old unit" it may have "lot rot". If those miles are the result of many demo drives it's not the same thing as one or two longer trips. In the case of the former there may have been lots of starts and stops, not to mention door dings or body imperfections.

Summary: look at production date, inspect vehicle thoroughly.
Jon, good pointers. Re: production date, what's considered an "old unit"? This particular car has a late-November build date. So, it probably got to the lot in late December/early January. Sittin on the lot for about 3 months, in other words.

I think they did flatbed it, but someone misread (intentionally or not) the # of miles on it. I doubt it's the dealer I'm working with since I made it clear to him that I would only take the car if it had 25 miles or less. But, I haven't signed any papers yet, so I'm not sure why he shipped the vehicle already...

He did say that he checked over the car himself and it's ready to go. No body damage. All manuals, etc. are there. I'm still going to require a personal inspection as a condition of sale, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the car.

Oh, btw, it's an automatic. Is it even possible or likely to redline an auto?
Old 03-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau
Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckerine
Oh, btw, it's an automatic. Is it even possible or likely to redline an auto?
Yes, until the rev limiter kicks in, just as with a manual transmission.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330CIC
Your dealer is the one who should be nervous.

He made the swap and if the other dealer made the misrepresentation and if you don't take the car then he is stuck. The other dealer is not sending a car that has problems as BMWNA would go nuts if that was the case. If you're concerned then negotiate a really good price on an extended warranty and have them give you the option to purchase at that price right up until the factory warranty expires in case your car is having any problems. Make sure that it is part of the contract to avoid any issues regarding consideration,etc. If it is an e46 sedan then it is getting difficult to find just the right car so recognize that you might lose all of the incentives, etc. if you wait.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
I remember reading a post recently from somebody that was very upset that their brand new car was being delivered with "high" mileage. He we went back and forth as to whether he should take delivery of the car.

Well, the car did indeed have very few miles. What he was reading was miles to empty display. .

The actual miles driven is displayed in the upper left hand corner. On the right of that is the trip odometer mileage display. Below both is the On Board Computer display which include miles to empty, outside temperature, average mpg. etc.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau
Old 03-21-2005, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330i