118d won't start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)

E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 118d
118d won't start

Hi, this is my first post but I hope some of you knowledgable folk can help me out.

A week ago, our e87 118d broke down. It had been fine, showing no signs of trouble until Friday 13th(!) I turned left from a main road when the car suddenly stalled and would not start again. I tried to turn it over on the button and bump start with the little momentum I had but it wouldn't fire. My dad came and helped me recover the car home since which I've been googling fault codes and chasing possible causes to no avail.

As it stands I have no blown fuses, I have power to EKPS module and low pressure pump. I've checked the DDE relay in case the module wasn't communicating with EKPS module. With the ignition on the low pressure pump spins but doesn't stop. I feel this means either the pump is too weak to achieve the correct pressure in the fuel rail, the rail pressure sensor is not picking up that correct pressure has been reached, or injector(s) leak means correct pressure cannot be reached in the rail.

Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Can I test the fuel rail pressure or that there is fuel at the injectors?

I've briefly looked at a copy of INPA and an interface cable but I'm a bit of a novice with electronics and diagnostic software.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ash

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search