Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
2002 325I Gas Pedal, final push to floor clicks in

Just a courious question. Right before my gas pedal hits the floor, (pushed all the way down) it sort of clicks down and then rests against the floor. Is this normal and what would the reasoning be behind this design? Thanks. Scott
Ads by Google
Old 03-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Should be in the manual, but that's the "kick down" button that initiates the "passing gear" with cars equipped with automatic transmission.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Z3 Crash-test Veteran

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
This "gear-down" button is fully described in The Fine Manual , it tells your Steptronic tranny to downshift (if you are not in Manual Mode) to get the engine's RPMs up -- for passing and such.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
It's a European thing!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer
It's a European thing!
It's an AT thing!

The first time I drove an AT DBW E46 at WOT, I wondered WTF this was, too. My car doesn't have it, of course.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
It's there because you're missing a pedal.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
MB has the same setup I believe. I've owned manual versions of C-Class and now my 330i, but I have a question about the reason for the kickdown switch. I've driven probably dozens of other manufacturer's automatics and I've never seen a physical switch under the accelerator. They all downshift as necessary with partial throttle depression, and I'm sure MB's and BMW's do this as well. I mean, you don't have to floor the accelerator to get a 4-3 downshift at moderate speeds, right? So, why the "extra" switch for WOT? Is it to force the lowest gear possible at the current rpm? It still seems odd that they actually place a switch under the accelerator rather than have some other sensor mechanism, especially with DBW.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 03-10-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
I always had the impression that this switch, once activated, also delayed the upshift until maximum RPM's had been reached. Then again, maybe it's just the effect of hard acceleration that does this. I dunno, it' just what it feels like to me, even if my Steptronic isn't in "sport" mode.

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 03-10-2005, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i, 89 325i
I used to have an 1995 Volvo 850 AT...it had a similar switch which caused the A/C compressor clutch to disengage if it was on...putting a little less parasitic loss on the engine.

Then again, looking at OBD-II data from that car the TB never got above 89% open...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:54 AM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I always had the impression that this switch, once activated, also delayed the upshift until maximum RPM's had been reached. Then again, maybe it's just the effect of hard acceleration that does this. I dunno, it' just what it feels like to me, even if my Steptronic isn't in "sport" mode.

Kick Down Switch:
When the throttle pedal is pressed fully to the floor, the kick down switch closes providing a ground signal to the GS 20. The GS 20 recognizes the ground as a request to provide an immediate down shift and to switch to the AGS sport mode shifting program.

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
I mean, you don't have to floor the accelerator to get a 4-3 downshift at moderate speeds, right? So, why the "extra" switch for WOT? Is it to force the lowest gear possible at the current rpm?
Subsitute "road speed" for RPM and you have it right. It'll downshift all the way to 1st if the redline (6,500) allows.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
LOL (at myself).

I experienced this when making an over-taking manoeuver (passing a bus) with traffic coming in the other direction, that was moving slightly faster than I predicted.

At first, I thought that the "kick down" - from 5th gear - and sudden increase in speed + RPM, was caused by my right calf muscles cramping as I depressed the accelerator pedal to the floor. This was followed by a strange taste of metal in my mouth, once the over-taking succeeded, and no one was killed in a head-on collision.

That was the first time that my POS E39 has seen something over 6200 RPM.

And yes, I usually drive like your grandmother, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, on her way home from church.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:14 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 520iAT
LOL (at myself).

I experienced this when making an over-taking manoeuver (passing a bus) with traffic coming in the other direction, that was moving slightly faster than I predicted.

At first, I thought that the "kick down" - from 5th gear - and sudden increase in speed + RPM, was caused by my right calf muscles cramping as I depressed the accelerator pedal to the floor. This was followed by a strange taste of metal in my mouth, once the over-taking succeeded, and no one was killed in a head-on collision.

That was the first time that my POS E39 has seen something over 6200 RPM.

And yes, I usually drive like your grandmother, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, on her way home from church.
OK, here's an embarrassing story from my teen years. My first car (lucky me), 1970 Dodge Challenger w/ a nice 340 cu.in. V8 and auto trans. I was 17. All the cars I had driven before would pretty much downshift under part throttle when desired. Turns out Dodge back then needed full throttle to downshift but I didn't know. The car was still pretty new and I hadn't tested at full throttle. I took it to the dealer and complained it wouldn't downshift. The tech drove the car with me and a friend and once on the road floored it. Well, to say the least, the damn thing downshifted and took off like a rocket. My friend and I just smiled big and said, "oh I see"!

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
OK, here's an embarrassing story from my teen years. My first car (lucky me), 1970 Dodge Challenger w/ a nice 340 cu.in. V8 and auto trans. I was 17. All the cars I had driven before would pretty much downshift under part throttle when desired. Turns out Dodge back then needed full throttle to downshift but I didn't know. The car was still pretty new and I hadn't tested at full throttle. I took it to the dealer and complained it wouldn't downshift. The tech drove the car with me and a friend and once on the road floored it. Well, to say the least, the damn thing downshifted and took off like a rocket. My friend and I just smiled big and said, "oh I see"!
That's the funny thing. It seems that most people don't realize that their cars can go past 3000 RPMs. I'm not just talking BMW owners, I mean everyone. Usually if you try to push the car past 3K rpms or maybe it's 4K, it downshifts, and the engine makes a "funny" noise. The car starts moving fast, but maybe people think they're hurting their cars? Anyway a lot of Japanese cars get labelled as slow, simply because people don't really know how to drive them.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: E39, E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthansford
Just a courious question. Right before my gas pedal hits the floor, (pushed all the way down) it sort of clicks down and then rests against the floor. Is this normal and what would the reasoning be behind this design? Thanks. Scott
The purpose of this mechanical detent is to simulate a feel of the TV cable from the days when gas pedal was connected to throttle body by cable. It is there because majority of the people are used to getting this feel from older systems. There is no electrical switch and it serves no purpose other then that. The kick down points are calibrated in the power train controller and are not constant like with cable systems. Some newer contactless pedal designs, Volvo for example, allow each pedal to be calibrated at the EOL point to program start/stop points and output curves.

Regards, Igor
Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
It's Highly Addictive!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebforce
The purpose of this mechanical detent is to simulate a feel of the TV cable from the days when gas pedal was connected to throttle body by cable. It is there because majority of the people are used to getting this feel from older systems. There is no electrical switch and it serves no purpose other then that. The kick down points are calibrated in the power train controller and are not constant like with cable systems. Some newer contactless pedal designs, Volvo for example, allow each pedal to be calibrated at the EOL point to program start/stop points and output curves.
No... well, highly doubt it. Manual transmission BMWs don't have a kickdown button, just those with Steptronic.

The technical guide for the E46 explains:

Kick Down Switch
When the throttle pedal is pressed fully to the floor, the kick down switch closes providing a ground signal to the GS 20. The GS 20 recognizes the ground as a request to provide an immediate down shift and to switch to the AGS sport mode shifting program.

From experience behind a Steptronic, hitting the kickdown will drop as many gears as possible instead of just one (could drop from 5th to 2nd).

2004 330i 6MT · performance package · silver gray · alcantara/cloth · black cube · xenons · pdc · aux audio