Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
takes the long way home..

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP
DSC Confusion- What is DBC?

They changed the naming conventions used in 2002 owners manual. No more ASC+T, in the 2004 E46 sedan owners manual it's:
DSC - Dynamic Stability Control
DTC - Dynamic Traction Control
CBC - Cornering Brake Control
DBC - Dynamic Brake Control? (not clear what this does)

This isn't verbatim, I made some minor editing...
Quote:
DSC maintains vehicle stability, even in critical driving situations. The DSC is operational every time you start the engine. DSC incorporates the Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and Cornering Brake Control (CBC) functions.

Indicator lamps
- The indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out shortly after the ignition has been switched on.
- The indicator lamp flashes: DSC is actively controlling drive torque and braking intervention.
- The indicator lamp stays lit: DSC has been switched off with the button; DTC and DBC are operational. DTC control intervention is not indicated.
- The indicator lamp and the brake warning lamp continuously light up in yellow: The DSC, DTC and DBC have been switched off manually

Deactivating the DSC/activating the DTC
Press the DSC button briefly; the indicator lamp comes on and stays on. DSC is deactivated; DTC is operational.

Deactivating the DSC and the DTC
Press the DSC button down for at least 3 seconds; the indicator lamp and the yellow brake warning lamp will remain on continuously. The systems for enhancing stability and traction are deactivated, and there is no active braking intervention or torque control.

Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
DBC is BMW's attempt at creating an electronic limited slip differential, meaning in straight line acceleration, if one of the wheel is slipping due to difference in grip level, brakes are selectively applied to bring the speed of the spinning wheel down to force torque tranfer to the wheel with more grip.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
DBC is BMW's attempt at creating an electronic limited slip differential, meaning in straight line acceleration, if one of the wheel is slipping due to difference in grip level, brakes are selectively applied to bring the speed of the spinning wheel down to force torque tranfer to the wheel with more grip.
Not quite... See page 121....I believe it's the function whereby emergency braking is detected and the system automatically applies full braking power.

EDIT: Quoting:
"The system responds to sudden, high-intensity applications of force to the brake pedal by automatically braking the vehicle with maximum boost to achieve the shortest possible braking distances during panic stops. This system exploits all the benefits of ABS"

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM

Thanks Mark, I didn't even see that.
Quote:
Dynamic Brake Control (DBC)

DBC is included in the DSC, refer to page 87. The system responds to sudden, high intensity applications of force to the brake pedal by automatically braking the vehicle with maximum boost to achieve the shortest possible braking distances during panic stops. This system exploits all the benefits of ABS. Do not reduce the pressure exerted against the brake pedal until the braking maneuver has been completed. DBC is deactivated when you release the brake pedal.
Hack, this doesn't sound like a limited slip, or ADB

Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
Hack, this doesn't sound like a limited slip, or ADB
I stand corrected.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:53 PM

So DBC is just ABS...?

Do they still offer ADB in the 2004 or 2005 E46? If so, at what stage of the DSC?

Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63
So DBC is just ABS...?

Do they still offer ADB in the 2004 or 2005 E46? If so, at what stage of the DSC?
Don't know about ADB but, no, DBC is not "just" ABS.. My C240 had this feature also, I forget what it was called. Say you have an emergency braking situation...they claim most people do not press that brake pedal as hard as possible so the car could actually stop faster. DBC (and the MB system) can sense an emergency application of the brake by the speed at which it is pressed. (The abrupt release of the throttle may also be sensed - I don't remember). If it determines you are trying to stop really fast it "takes over" and applies full braking power even if you're not pushing the pedal as hard as possible. This continues until you stop or let up the brake pedal. I think it's saying that if the wheels lock up during this process ABS will come into play also.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm