Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 540iA
LKM headache... Help?

I was having problems, my 97 540i was intermittantly displaying "check front foglamps", while the lights worked. Then the right fog light started to delay lighting light up for about 5 sec. when switched on. My friend (an independent BMW shop owner) decided that the light control module (LKM) was bad so he ordered a new one. After installing the new one, a few wierd things happened:

When I first turned the lights on, the same foglight didn't light. After cursing for a few minutes, I turned the lights off then back on, and it light. The light has worked correctly since, and no check warning since.

However, I then got a check brake lights warning, even though all lights were working. Additionally, a small red dot next to the odometer was lit (this indicates that the cluster was changed/tampered with) Additionally, when the parking lights were switched on, everything worked. Angel eyes lit up, fogs came on, and cluster lit. But when I switch on the headlights, the angel eyes and the cluster lights went off. Headlights and fogs worked, but the AE's (which get power from the signel running light power) and the cluster are dark!

My friend sad that I had to bring the car to a dealer to have the LKM coded to the car. Ok, so I go to the dealer who fixes the brake check (by replacing all the bulbs) but told me that there was no coding to be done to the LKM, and the tamper light came on because the cluster memory is backed up by the lkm and the light can't be reset?

So why the heck am I getting the strange behavior of the cluster and running lights? If I put back the old LKM, everything works as before, (Including the check foglamps warning) And why does the EPC say that the LKM needs to be coded, yet dealer says no?

I know it's an impossible question, I'm just frustrated and I'm just hoping that maybe someone had a similar experience...

Thanks

Last edited by mchad; 03-29-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Cars Suck

Mein Auto: I drive your cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad
I was having problems, my 97 540i was intermittantly displaying "check front foglamps", while the lights worked. Then the right fog light started to delay lighting light up for about 5 sec. when switched on. My friend (an independent BMW shop owner) decided that the light control module (LKM) was bad so he ordered a new one. After installing the new one, a few wierd things happened:

When I first turned the lights on, the same foglight didn't light. After cursing for a few minutes, I turned the lights off then back on, and it light. The light has worked correctly since, and no check warning since.

However, I then got a check brake lights warning, even though all lights were working. Additionally, a small red dot next to the odometer was lit (this indicates that the cluster was changed/tampered with) Additionally, when the parking lights were switched on, everything worked. Angel eyes lit up, fogs came on, and cluster lit. But when I switch on the headlights, the angel eyes and the cluster lights went off. Headlights and fogs worked, but the AE's (which get power from the signel running light power) and the cluster are dark!

My friend sad that I had to bring the car to a dealer to have the LKM coded to the car. Ok, so I go to the dealer who fixes the brake check (by replacing all the bulbs) but told me that there was no coding to be done to the LKM, and the tamper light came on because the cluster memory is backed up by the lkm and the light can't be reset?

So why the heck am I getting the strange behavior of the cluster and running lights? If I put back the old LKM, everything works as before, (Including the check foglamps warning) And why does the EPC say that the LKM needs to be coded, yet dealer says no?

I know it's an impossible question, I'm just frustrated and I'm just hoping that maybe someone had a similar experience...

Thanks
The LKM needs to be coded. It should have been coded originally when it was replaced. this explains the manipulation dot in the cluster and most likely all of the probs that you are having. You need to explain to the dealer that the unit was never coded to the car. I think they may have misunderstood you, or they just dont know what theyre talking about. One or the other. Regardless it needs to be coded.
Good Luck,

DT
Old 04-03-2005, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 540iA
Thanks Dan,

So to confirm, the dealer definitly can remove the tamper dot on the odometer? I only ask because the service writer told me that they couldn't. It's a big concern for me.

Thnks very much
Old 04-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Cars Suck

Mein Auto: I drive your cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchad
Thanks Dan,

So to confirm, the dealer definitly can remove the tamper dot on the odometer? I only ask because the service writer told me that they couldn't. It's a big concern for me.

Thnks very much
Yes, they should be able to adapt the data from the cluster to the new LKM. This problem happens because the LKM saves the Cluster Mileage data redundantly with the cluster and so when your friend installed the base uncoded LKM the cluster and it conflicted and the warning dot appeared. Coding the LKM to match the cluster should fix this. Just explain your situation to them clearly since they are a bit out of the loop on how this situation came to be. If the service advisor cant help you or understand you ask to talk to the shop foreman if necessary. Hopefully it wont come to that. If they cant make it work however, ask for the shop foreman to explain to you exactly why and what can be done.
Good Luck,
DT