Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m3, 525it
Window problems 318ti

Window is off regulator or regulator is wasted on 318ti has power but is cocky in tracks. Are there directions somewhere on opening up door panel to try and fix and if so I hear it is not too easy. Car is a little old (138k) but I still love it alot. I am not afraid to pop off the panel to look and maybe I can just put it back in its tracks or something. Buying a great 525ti for wife so money is tight. Write if you wish. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 95 318i*01 325i*97 528i
I had a similar problem in a '95 318i, where the window dropped into the door. You need to buy the two little pastic clips at the bottom of the window galss AND 10 of the plastic clips that hold the door panel on (the old panel clips will shear off due to to age and the clips cost practically nothing). Remove the obvious door panel screws, including the one under the little clip you slide up. Then pull the door panel out at the bottom and then out along the sides, then lift the whole panel out at the bottom about 20 degrees while pushing up, so the top of the panel comes off the clips along the rail at the top of the door. Then remove the white plastic sash clips at the bottom of the glass by sliding the metal circlips back with a screw driver, with the window almost all the way down. Push the new sash clips straight on -- no need to move the circlips. Relube with white lithium grease and operate the window to make sure you have the window running in the tracks at the front and the back. If the window is off the tracks, do the front first and then the back. The glass will sqeeze in without removing the tracks although it won't seem like it at first. Then the tricky part: Push the top of the panel onto the rail at the top of the door while rotating the bottom of the panel down from about 20 degrees out and into the "flat position" (more or less), and then make sure the power mirror switch is through the panel so you can get to it, and then use a small screwdriver to line up EACH of the 10 panel clips, one at a time and pushing that one clip into place, the 2-3 fronts first, then the 2-3 backs (top to bottom, reverse of removal) and then the 5-6 bottom clips, one clip at a time. It takes less than an hour.