Can't import music from USB - any suggestions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 320i M Sport Touring
Can't import music from USB - any suggestions

Hi there

Issue with my new 218i Sport Active Tourer. Established now that I have a touch screen iDrive and with a build date of 14th July 2017 I reckon it must be on the iDrive 6.0 incarnation or something close to that.

However have run into a problem with the Media/Radio section of the system. I copied all my music from my PC onto a Toshiba 64GB USB drive and plugged that into the USB socket in the tray under the armrest. Navigated to the media setion of the menu and was able to see the Toshiba drive there as an option. When I selected the USB drive I could then play the music without difficulty. It was available categorised by Album, Artist or individual track listing. I selected the track listing and the shuffle option and was presented with a "shuffled2 list of all my music which I could scroll through and select tracks to play or just leave it to work through in sequence.

Now the BMW Drivers Guide App presented for my car clearly states that the iDrive system can copy up to 40000 individual tracks onto the hard drive to provide you with a Music Collection of your own tracks. This can be done by importing the tracks from a USB device as one option.

However on my iDrive menu system there is no "import" option visible anywhere. Looking at YouTube videos it should be visible in the list of options on the left of the tracks which include selections for Search,Album, Artist, Track and Shuffle.

Any suggestions for the absence of this import option. Does my car not have a hard drive or is there something I need to do to unlock the import option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X1
I have the same issue. A 2017 X1 and there are no options to import anything from CD or USB drive when there is media connected. I have the Tech Package with the Advanced Bluetooth but NADA!!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 528i
My 2014 528i does copy from USB and CD, idrive, multimedia, external devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: M235i
I just imported 19.5GB to my CPO ‘16 M235i
True, you can easy play music off your external device, but importing it was less intuitive.
For me (I think this was described in the OM), the path from main menu was:
Multimedia / External devices / USB device / scroll down to Import music.

To change: Multimedia / highlight Music collection / press iDrive OPTION / Manage music collection

Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
My 2017 imported music from a Thumb drive to the car's internal HD w/o issue. Same w/ my 2015 Mini Cooper (BMW lite). Not sure if I was using a 16 GB or 32 GB thumb to do the import. Since yours is a 64 GB, maybe that's the issue. For fun, load a 16 GB drive up and see if you can import from that.

I know some cars have limitations of the size of thumb drives they can read or play. Perhaps the car can play a 64 GB, doesn't recognize it as a size it can import from.

Just "spit-ballin'" here, but simple to try.

Good luck.

Additionally, I imported the entire Thumb and did not try to selectively import.

Last edited by USA-RET; 11-13-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Do you have navigation? It use to be that if you didn't you did not get music storage.
07 X3 - Sold
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 320i M Sport Touring
@USA-RET - Didn't even cross my mind that the size of the USB drive might be an issue. I guess if the on board storage is limited, say to 16GB or whatever, then it might balk at the possibility of being overloaded when it sees a 64GB drive connected to the system. I will try with a smaller USB stick - I think I have a 4 or 8GB one lying around somewhere.

@David1 - Yes I do have the Navigation package on my car with the Traffic Warning add-on etc so I don't think that is the issue
Old 11-13-2017, 03:41 PM

I think the car has a 40GB HD w/ somewhat less than that actually available for music storage.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: M235i
My ‘16 M235i has 20GB free disk space and I used a 32GB thumb drive to do a single import of about 19GB.
Note that I did a little upfront testing with a smaller (8GB) drive, first importing just one album, followed by importing 5 albums.
What the system did was label each import separately (I forget the term it used-“folder” or something similar). So while it imported everything fine, I noticed at the highest hierarchy level two items: “Mark 8GB” and “Mark 8GB (2)”, where “Mark 8GB” was the label of the thumb drive.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistery View Post
My ‘16 M235i has 20GB free disk space and I used a 32GB thumb drive to do a single import of about 19GB.
Note that I did a little upfront testing with a smaller (8GB) drive, first importing just one album, followed by importing 5 albums.
What the system did was label each import separately (I forget the term it used-“folder” or something similar). So while it imported everything fine, I noticed at the highest hierarchy level two items: “Mark 8GB” and “Mark 8GB (2)”, where “Mark 8GB” was the label of the thumb drive.

Sorry, yes 20GB HD.......

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search