Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
njoutlaw88 njoutlaw88 is offline
Banned
Location: Bradenton Florida and nyc
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
buying and selling a bmw need help!!!

I am looking for a new car. Heres my situtation, I am 16 years old and I have a 96 bmw 328ic with 150,000. Its been costing me a lot of money to fix so I have 1000 debt. I am not sure wether to keep the car or sell it and get a 3 series sedan. Any suggestions? Dont forget my car is only worth 8500 and I got to pay sales tax.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:07 PM
ImperialDuckM3 ImperialDuckM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: E36's
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoutlaw88
I am looking for a new car. Heres my situtation, I am 16 years old and I have a 96 bmw 328ic with 150,000. Its been costing me a lot of money to fix so I have 1000 debt. I am not sure wether to keep the car or sell it and get a 3 series sedan. Any suggestions? Dont forget my car is only worth 8500 and I got to pay sales tax.

Well for a 16yr to get a 1996 328ic says alot about your parent. Nothing bad, but do they really love you . I remember when I was 16yr, I was still riding the damn bus to school .

But to answer some of your questions.

a 1996 328ic with over 150k miles will not get you $8500. Remember its real world pricing NOT KBB value. So KBB says your car worth $8500 but in the real world it actually worth less then $7000. Yeap, don't be surpise, just check your local auto selling magazines or internet for a true value of what your car really worth.

Why another 3 series, when you current have a 3 series . Its like selling the 328ic and getting anther 328ic but instead of 2 door, you get 4 door. Now, if you upgrade to the //M, that's a different story. But since you can't afford the maintainence on the standard 3 series, the //M is kinda out of the picture.

If you happen to get $8500 for the car (please forward that sucker info to me, I got another 3 series I want to get rid of ), best way to avoid paying the state tax is to put a lower amount. Ask the buyer if he's will to play along. So instead of $8500 you put $2500. So take $2500 x your state tax, would be better then $8500 x your state tax.

Now, it is illegal and you do this at your own risk. But hey, if you get caught. Just have mom or pops foot the ball. I know for sure, I would
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
njoutlaw88 njoutlaw88 is offline
Banned
Location: Bradenton Florida and nyc
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
First of all. I pay for my own stuff. My parents only paid fo the door to be fixed. And how many 3 series do you own?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2005, 09:22 PM
ImperialDuckM3 ImperialDuckM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: E36's
Let me see

1. 1993 325 (sold this one last week, looking for a replacement)

2. 1998 328

3. 1997 M3

4. 2001 Mercedes ML320

5. 2005 Toyota tacoma

anymore question?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 PM
LDV330i LDV330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,079
Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoutlaw88
First of all. I pay for my own stuff. My parents only paid fo the door to be fixed. And how many 3 series do you own?
Hi ex-neighbor. Used to live in Palm Aire/University Parkway area in Manatee County,

I do not think anybody was trying to push your buttons. As you become more familiar with Bimmerfest you will see that people will post in jest or to give you hard time. Please do not take it personally. Just go with the flow. The last thing you want to do is fan the flames. Please do not get discouraged and keep posting. We are all here to share our experiences.

I admire your for not only having paid for your own car but also having enough sense and knowledge about cars to have chosen a BMW. Like another poster mentioned at your age I was riding the yellow bus to school.

I know you would like to get into another 3 series but you need to keep in mind that in your price range the next car will also have a few miles which means than maintenance costs can be an issue if you are on a limited budget.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Nick325xiT 5spd's Avatar
Nick325xiT 5spd Nick325xiT 5spd is offline
Registered User
Location: Bethesda, MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,861
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
It's very simple: Learn to fix it yourself, or sell it and get a Toyota.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
1999 323i KP/GTS2 Alpinweiß
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 PM
ImperialDuckM3 ImperialDuckM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: E36's
Naw, I am not trying "flame" him. Just knocking some sense into the kid. At age 16 its hard to earn a living and pay for an "expensive" car. Yes, folk I say expensive. Because if you do your own work, it can be handle. But if you're the type to run to the your local mechanic or god for bid to the stealership. Then prepare to get manhandle.

I can't really see his point in trading the current 328ic ,which he own the title out right. To purchase another 3 series class. If he were to get luck and find someone to buy his car for $8500. He would have to come extra money, because any low milage 3 series is going to cost him more then $8500 (except 318).

If he stay with the current E36 class he could "maybe" find some around $8500 low milage but don't look pass 97+. But if also depend where he lives and the current market around his area, which determine the price.

He can just kiss the E36 //M and also E46 class (unless he comes up with some more money)

But anyway, good luck with your sell and also I do hope you can find another 3 series that like. Since you have good taste in the begining with cars
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 PM
ImperialDuckM3 ImperialDuckM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sunny Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: E36's
Here's a pic of my //M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3013.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	48351  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2005, 06:42 AM
dwsscs dwsscs is offline
Registered User
Location: Fayetteville
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
I agree if you own it already then you should keep it as your fun car. Another option is try to pick up a cheap ass toyota to be your daily driver. A older toyota camry, celica, or corola with a little over 100,000 miles can be had for around $1000 around here. If you look hard enough you can find a clean, well maintained one. I just bought one for a relative having financial problems, and had owned several in the past.

About the value of your car, I think its different based on your market. In the Atlanta area I had a real hard time finding a convertible under $10K even with the high miles like yours. I ended up driving 200 miles and paying $10K for a clean 94 325ic with 83,000 miles. It had all the BMW service stamps, drove like a new one (i went to the stealership and drove one, very nice but not $40,000 nice to me), clean car fax, and real clean inside (not perfect, but close). I might of overpaid but sometimes you pay extra for some of the benefits of this car: the dealer records, the low miles, etc. Plus I bought in "convertible" season here, so they are more in demand here. It might be similar there so just look into it.

If you are going to be self sufficient and pay for college and stuff yourself. I would consider selling and going with a less expensive car to maintain as a daily driver. You could keep it and use it as a fun car and if something breaks you wouldn't have to fix it immediately if you had a backup car. However if a car sits too long things start to go wrong with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw00.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	48354  

Last edited by dwsscs; 04-14-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
njoutlaw88 njoutlaw88 is offline
Banned
Location: Bradenton Florida and nyc
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialDuckM3
Naw, I am not trying "flame" him. Just knocking some sense into the kid. At age 16 its hard to earn a living and pay for an "expensive" car. Yes, folk I say expensive. Because if you do your own work, it can be handle. But if you're the type to run to the your local mechanic or god for bid to the stealership. Then prepare to get manhandle.

I can't really see his point in trading the current 328ic ,which he own the title out right. To purchase another 3 series class. If he were to get luck and find someone to buy his car for $8500. He would have to come extra money, because any low milage 3 series is going to cost him more then $8500 (except 318).

If he stay with the current E36 class he could "maybe" find some around $8500 low milage but don't look pass 97+. But if also depend where he lives and the current market around his area, which determine the price.

He can just kiss the E36 //M and also E46 class (unless he comes up with some more money)

But anyway, good luck with your sell and also I do hope you can find another 3 series that like. Since you have good taste in the begining with cars
I decided to keep the car. I fix everything my self. Even change my own oil.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
njoutlaw88 njoutlaw88 is offline
Banned
Location: Bradenton Florida and nyc
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialDuckM3
Naw, I am not trying "flame" him. Just knocking some sense into the kid. At age 16 its hard to earn a living and pay for an "expensive" car. Yes, folk I say expensive. Because if you do your own work, it can be handle. But if you're the type to run to the your local mechanic or god for bid to the stealership. Then prepare to get manhandle.

I can't really see his point in trading the current 328ic ,which he own the title out right. To purchase another 3 series class. If he were to get luck and find someone to buy his car for $8500. He would have to come extra money, because any low milage 3 series is going to cost him more then $8500 (except 318).

If he stay with the current E36 class he could "maybe" find some around $8500 low milage but don't look pass 97+. But if also depend where he lives and the current market around his area, which determine the price.

He can just kiss the E36 //M and also E46 class (unless he comes up with some more money)

But anyway, good luck with your sell and also I do hope you can find another 3 series that like. Since you have good taste in the begining with cars
I love BMWS there the best!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 AM
njoutlaw88 njoutlaw88 is offline
Banned
Location: Bradenton Florida and nyc
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Hi ex-neighbor. Used to live in Palm Aire/University Parkway area in Manatee County,

I do not think anybody was trying to push your buttons. As you become more familiar with Bimmerfest you will see that people will post in jest or to give you hard time. Please do not take it personally. Just go with the flow. The last thing you want to do is fan the flames. Please do not get discouraged and keep posting. We are all here to share our experiences.

I admire your for not only having paid for your own car but also having enough sense and knowledge about cars to have chosen a BMW. Like another poster mentioned at your age I was riding the yellow bus to school.

I know you would like to get into another 3 series but you need to keep in mind that in your price range the next car will also have a few miles which means than maintenance costs can be an issue if you are on a limited budget.
I am keeping the car because I really do like it. Thanks for the advie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The 1 Series will diminish the brand in the eyes of 7 Series buyers." Alex Baumann General BMW 86 05-28-2008 12:43 PM
Buying and selling a bmw need help!!!! njoutlaw88 General BMW 0 04-12-2005 10:47 AM
Go w/Lemon Law or continue to wait? pylt Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems 5 11-17-2004 07:54 AM
X-post: Lemon Law, or keep waiting? pylt 3 Series / 4 Series 18 05-09-2004 05:29 PM
FS: BMW MK III Navigation Computer in perfect condition DZeckhausen Classifieds 1 04-02-2004 10:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms