Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to njoutlaw88
Mein Auto: 96 328ic
buying and selling a bmw need help!!!

I am looking for a new car. Heres my situtation, I am 16 years old and I have a 96 bmw 328ic with 150,000. Its been costing me a lot of money to fix so I have 1000 debt. I am not sure wether to keep the car or sell it and get a 3 series sedan. Any suggestions? Dont forget my car is only worth 8500 and I got to pay sales tax.
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36's
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoutlaw88
I am looking for a new car. Heres my situtation, I am 16 years old and I have a 96 bmw 328ic with 150,000. Its been costing me a lot of money to fix so I have 1000 debt. I am not sure wether to keep the car or sell it and get a 3 series sedan. Any suggestions? Dont forget my car is only worth 8500 and I got to pay sales tax.

Well for a 16yr to get a 1996 328ic says alot about your parent. Nothing bad, but do they really love you . I remember when I was 16yr, I was still riding the damn bus to school .

But to answer some of your questions.

a 1996 328ic with over 150k miles will not get you $8500. Remember its real world pricing NOT KBB value. So KBB says your car worth $8500 but in the real world it actually worth less then $7000. Yeap, don't be surpise, just check your local auto selling magazines or internet for a true value of what your car really worth.

Why another 3 series, when you current have a 3 series . Its like selling the 328ic and getting anther 328ic but instead of 2 door, you get 4 door. Now, if you upgrade to the //M, that's a different story. But since you can't afford the maintainence on the standard 3 series, the //M is kinda out of the picture.

If you happen to get $8500 for the car (please forward that sucker info to me, I got another 3 series I want to get rid of ), best way to avoid paying the state tax is to put a lower amount. Ask the buyer if he's will to play along. So instead of $8500 you put $2500. So take $2500 x your state tax, would be better then $8500 x your state tax.

Now, it is illegal and you do this at your own risk. But hey, if you get caught. Just have mom or pops foot the ball. I know for sure, I would
Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Banned

First of all. I pay for my own stuff. My parents only paid fo the door to be fixed. And how many 3 series do you own?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:22 PM

Let me see

1. 1993 325 (sold this one last week, looking for a replacement)

2. 1998 328

3. 1997 M3

4. 2001 Mercedes ML320

5. 2005 Toyota tacoma

anymore question?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoutlaw88
First of all. I pay for my own stuff. My parents only paid fo the door to be fixed. And how many 3 series do you own?
Hi ex-neighbor. Used to live in Palm Aire/University Parkway area in Manatee County,

I do not think anybody was trying to push your buttons. As you become more familiar with Bimmerfest you will see that people will post in jest or to give you hard time. Please do not take it personally. Just go with the flow. The last thing you want to do is fan the flames. Please do not get discouraged and keep posting. We are all here to share our experiences.

I admire your for not only having paid for your own car but also having enough sense and knowledge about cars to have chosen a BMW. Like another poster mentioned at your age I was riding the yellow bus to school.

I know you would like to get into another 3 series but you need to keep in mind that in your price range the next car will also have a few miles which means than maintenance costs can be an issue if you are on a limited budget.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
It's very simple: Learn to fix it yourself, or sell it and get a Toyota.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 PM

Naw, I am not trying "flame" him. Just knocking some sense into the kid. At age 16 its hard to earn a living and pay for an "expensive" car. Yes, folk I say expensive. Because if you do your own work, it can be handle. But if you're the type to run to the your local mechanic or god for bid to the stealership. Then prepare to get manhandle.

I can't really see his point in trading the current 328ic ,which he own the title out right. To purchase another 3 series class. If he were to get luck and find someone to buy his car for $8500. He would have to come extra money, because any low milage 3 series is going to cost him more then $8500 (except 318).

If he stay with the current E36 class he could "maybe" find some around $8500 low milage but don't look pass 97+. But if also depend where he lives and the current market around his area, which determine the price.

He can just kiss the E36 //M and also E46 class (unless he comes up with some more money)

But anyway, good luck with your sell and also I do hope you can find another 3 series that like. Since you have good taste in the begining with cars
Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 PM

Here's a pic of my //M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3013.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	48351  
Old 04-14-2005, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Frontier
I agree if you own it already then you should keep it as your fun car. Another option is try to pick up a cheap ass toyota to be your daily driver. A older toyota camry, celica, or corola with a little over 100,000 miles can be had for around $1000 around here. If you look hard enough you can find a clean, well maintained one. I just bought one for a relative having financial problems, and had owned several in the past.

About the value of your car, I think its different based on your market. In the Atlanta area I had a real hard time finding a convertible under $10K even with the high miles like yours. I ended up driving 200 miles and paying $10K for a clean 94 325ic with 83,000 miles. It had all the BMW service stamps, drove like a new one (i went to the stealership and drove one, very nice but not $40,000 nice to me), clean car fax, and real clean inside (not perfect, but close). I might of overpaid but sometimes you pay extra for some of the benefits of this car: the dealer records, the low miles, etc. Plus I bought in "convertible" season here, so they are more in demand here. It might be similar there so just look into it.

If you are going to be self sufficient and pay for college and stuff yourself. I would consider selling and going with a less expensive car to maintain as a daily driver. You could keep it and use it as a fun car and if something breaks you wouldn't have to fix it immediately if you had a backup car. However if a car sits too long things start to go wrong with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw00.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	48354  

Last edited by dwsscs; 04-14-2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialDuckM3
Naw, I am not trying "flame" him. Just knocking some sense into the kid. At age 16 its hard to earn a living and pay for an "expensive" car. Yes, folk I say expensive. Because if you do your own work, it can be handle. But if you're the type to run to the your local mechanic or god for bid to the stealership. Then prepare to get manhandle.

I can't really see his point in trading the current 328ic ,which he own the title out right. To purchase another 3 series class. If he were to get luck and find someone to buy his car for $8500. He would have to come extra money, because any low milage 3 series is going to cost him more then $8500 (except 318).

If he stay with the current E36 class he could "maybe" find some around $8500 low milage but don't look pass 97+. But if also depend where he lives and the current market around his area, which determine the price.

He can just kiss the E36 //M and also E46 class (unless he comes up with some more money)

But anyway, good luck with your sell and also I do hope you can find another 3 series that like. Since you have good taste in the begining with cars
I decided to keep the car. I fix everything my self. Even change my own oil.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialDuckM3

I love BMWS there the best!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
Hi ex-neighbor. Used to live in Palm Aire/University Parkway area in Manatee County,

I do not think anybody was trying to push your buttons. As you become more familiar with Bimmerfest you will see that people will post in jest or to give you hard time. Please do not take it personally. Just go with the flow. The last thing you want to do is fan the flames. Please do not get discouraged and keep posting. We are all here to share our experiences.

I admire your for not only having paid for your own car but also having enough sense and knowledge about cars to have chosen a BMW. Like another poster mentioned at your age I was riding the yellow bus to school.

I know you would like to get into another 3 series but you need to keep in mind that in your price range the next car will also have a few miles which means than maintenance costs can be an issue if you are on a limited budget.
I am keeping the car because I really do like it. Thanks for the advie.