Ferric Gray vs M Carbon Fiber mirror caps - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Ferric Gray vs M Carbon Fiber mirror caps

Hey, I'm m240 is getting close and I wanted to understand if their is anything special about Ferric Gray mirror caps? I'm personally not so sure I'm really feeling gray mirror caps on a m240 estoril blue with black kidneys.
Are Ferric Gray mirror caps more areodynamic?

I would of prefered mirror caps that are the same color as the car. But maybe I'm old school.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBaitGirl View Post
Hey, I'm m240 is getting close and I wanted to understand if their is anything special about Ferric Gray mirror caps? I'm personally not so sure I'm really feeling gray mirror caps on a m240 estoril blue with black kidneys.
Are Ferric Gray mirror caps more areodynamic?

I would of prefered mirror caps that are the same color as the car. But maybe I'm old school.
If you would have preferred body color mirror caps, just have them painted. My dealer had that done by their bodyshop before delivery (along with the brake calipers, but yours will already match...well done!). There is no aerodynamic advantage to mirror caps based on color. I agree that bodycolor looks much more coordinated and less like a mis-matched hang-on than the gray caps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized 9.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	706529  
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
VO over Oyster Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Fiery Orange IP Trim Wrap

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M235i Convertible 2016
I'd agree that it's really weird that BMW should think that the grey mirror caps look better than either gloss black or body colour. I think they look really cheap. I gave it a few months then just had to replace them. I chose carbon fibre from AutoID:

but I think that both gloss black and body colour would look just as good. These are 125 a pair and I've been happy with the quality. They haven't discoloured.

I also suffered from the dreaded exhaust tail pipe corrosion that seems endemic to this model, and took Forum advice and had them sandblasted and powdercoated (50 but I'm told I was overcharged!). When they come back, you realise just how poor the factory finish is, for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with all the rest of the car. I had planned to replace the trim with CF but I liked the high gloss black better, in the end. Thus saving a load of money.

You'll love the car ....

Last edited by msej449; 11-09-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Ein kleines deuce coupe

Mein Auto: M235i & RX-8
The gray caps, IMO, look cheap and horrible. They were supposed to match the wheels and somehow mark it as the M Performance model.
I can't believe BMW hasn't stopped doing this.
Mirrors from an EB 228/230i or 3/4 series car will swap. If you can find someone upgrading to CF caps, you can take their EB caps. That's how I got mine.

2015 Estoril Blue M235i |6MT|Terra Dakota leather|Premium Package|Moonroof Delete|HK stereo|MP exhaust|MP diffuser
Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Stock caps look fine to my eye. Body color would be better IMO.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Pocket Rocket

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i AW/Coral Red
Did you go with the bi-color or black wheels? If you got the black kidneys, black wheels, the carbon fiber mirror caps would look good. I have the ferric wheels, chrome/black kidneys and the gray mirror caps compliment my color scheme nicely, IMO. Either way, it will look fine.

Last edited by DBLO7; 11-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Thank you for the wonderful advice and comments.. I decided I can't stand the ferric mirror caps (with my color combo it looks weird) so I went with the carbon ones.

My m240 convertible is Estoril blue with bi color rims (ordered black but somehow I missed it and in the final build it was switched)(I think the CA was trying to speed up production so I see where it happened).I think the bi color rims should look ok. Yep.. I got black kidneys.

Anyone have estoril blue with jet black or bi color rims? Would love a pic.

@msje449 great advice. I love your exhast tips (get them black). I think it looks funny with chrome. Chrome = I have to clean. Ughh..
Old 11-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Just curious, has anyone ever tried to have the mirror caps wrapped?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Just curious, has anyone ever tried to have the mirror caps wrapped?
I wanted body color, not grey. So, I asked a wrap place for an estimate and the guy said that he didn't want to wrap them because the angles were too complex and he didn't think it would turn out well. I thanked him for his honesty and bought the iND painted caps. Now ($200 later) the car looks the way it should have from the factory.

MP Rear Diffuser, BMS Black Chrome Slant Cut Exhaust Tips, Smoked Reflectors, iND painted mirror caps, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, air box foam removed, DinanTronics Sport, Dinan Mid-pipe
Old 11-25-2017, 12:23 PM
M240i SoCal

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I wanted body color, not grey. So, I asked a wrap place for an estimate and the guy said that he didn't want to wrap them because the angles were too complex and he didn't think it would turn out well. I thanked him for his honesty and bought the iND painted caps. Now ($200 later) the car looks the way it should have from the factory.
Hi PeterWT... I noticed you have the DinanTronics Sport Tuner. I just purchased it for my M240i and I'm anxiously awaiting. Was it a noticeable difference from stock?

Appologies on hijacking the thread for that question... Back to topic, I'm assuming these were the painted caps being referenced: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F22-MC

That's why I love forums... so much great information. Often you just need to read signatures to find it.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i - PCD 01/06/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe View Post
Hi PeterWT... I noticed you have the DinanTronics Sport Tuner. I just purchased it for my M240i and I'm anxiously awaiting. Was it a noticeable difference from stock?

Appologies on hijacking the thread for that question... Back to topic, I'm assuming these were the painted caps being referenced: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F22-MC

That's why I love forums... so much great information. Often you just need to read signatures to find it.
Yep, those are the caps.
I am happy with the DinanTronics Tuner. Easy install. Set it on +2PSI and forget it. Noticeable performance improvement for $300. No CELs. I removed mine when I brought the car in for the first service. It's easy to reinstall. Better safe than sorry.

MP Rear Diffuser, BMS Black Chrome Slant Cut Exhaust Tips, Smoked Reflectors, iND painted mirror caps, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, air box foam removed, DinanTronics Sport, Dinan Mid-pipe
Old 11-26-2017, 08:40 PM
M240i SoCal

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Yep, those are the caps.
I am happy with the DinanTronics Tuner. Easy install. Set it on +2PSI and forget it. Noticeable performance improvement for $300. No CELs. I removed mine when I brought the car in for the first service. It's easy to reinstall. Better safe than sorry.
Thank you sir. I'll be doing the same... playing it safe.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search