M240 2018 sport vs m performance exhast w rear diffuser? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
M240 2018 sport vs m performance exhast w rear diffuser?

Can anyone explain what the difference is between m240 2018 sport exhast (standard option) vs m performance exhast with diffuser?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
The M Performance one is louder and costs a whole lot of money.

Louder exhaust systems usually improve exhaust flow and increase the engine's power and torque. Here's a dirty little secret, though. But, modern BMW engines are electronically governed, limiting the amount of torque they produce. Power is torque times angular velocity (rotational speed of the engine). So, that means modern BMWs' power is also limited by the electronic governing. Note that their web page says nothing about improving performance:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...RMANCE-EXHAUST

If you really want to get more performance out of your new BMW, spend that $1500 or so toward a trip to M School or some other track training and driving.

There will always be somebody wanting to sell us some gee-gaw to go on our cars. BMW saw how much money people were paying for gee-gaws, and they decided to get into the gee-gaw business themselves. Most of this stuff actually lowers the value of the car when you go to sell it. People who buy used cars wish they were buying a new one. So, they're generally willing to pay more if the car looks closer to "new," which means how it looked when it rolled out of the factory, not how is looks after it rolled out of the gee-gaw store.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 11-11-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Reported (advertised) gains by companies like Dinan for their exhaust is 9HP and similar Torque increase. If what the above post states is true, you'd be far better off getting lighter wheels and tires for your car and get more WHP and torque.

I bought new wheels and tires for my Mini Cooper and lightened each corner of my car by 8 lbs shaving a total of 32lbs. of un-sprung rotating weight. This netted me 11 more WHP and Torque. Additional benefits are improved ride, and more nimble handling. One reason why F1 spends so much money on wheel technology.

Unless you just want a louder exhaust (which is fine), I'd look for performance gains in other areas.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 PM
M240i SoCal

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Reported (advertised) gains by companies like Dinan for their exhaust is 9HP and similar Torque increase. If what the above post states is true, you'd be far better off getting lighter wheels and tires for your car and get more WHP and torque.

I bought new wheels and tires for my Mini Cooper and lightened each corner of my car by 8 lbs shaving a total of 32lbs. of un-sprung rotating weight. This netted me 11 more WHP and Torque. Additional benefits are improved ride, and more nimble handling. One reason why F1 spends so much money on wheel technology.

Unless you just want a louder exhaust (which is fine), I'd look for performance gains in other areas.
Something I've been researching lately as well... Louder Exhaust. To me, it seems cheaper and easier to just get the midsection straight pipe. It's relatively cheap and provides a big improvement on sound when in sport mode and only slightly when in comfort. Thus you get the best of both worlds, while saving over $1k. While there may be some HP/TQ gains, I agree that the money spent for those gains is best spent elsewhere. If simple sound is the goal... the mid pipes seem the best. Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2017, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Thank you for the wonderful feedback and details to help educate me.

- Alice
Old 11-26-2017, 08:42 PM
M240i SoCal

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
Forums are great... no matter which car their for, they always have a tone of great info and helpful people.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search