M240i normal oil consumption - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:40 PM
MikeNola MikeNola is offline
Registered User
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2017 M240i
M240i normal oil consumption

I have 8200 miles on my 8 month old 2017 M240i, and according to the electronic oil level meter it hasn't used any oil, still says full. I am having a difficult time believing that the car hasn't used any oil in 8200 miles, and haven't learned to trust oil level meter because I've never seen it move off full. Haven't had ANY issues with car...hasn't been back to dealer since I picked it up.

What oil consumption is typical on brand new m240i?

Mike
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-29-2017, 01:29 PM
sttkailua sttkailua is offline
Registered User
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 55
Mein Auto: M240i


Tight rings, German engineering!
It is my first BMW, so I assume this is normal.

I don't see a lot of black residue on the exhausts, smoke, on my 12,000 mile 2017, so it is good, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2017, 02:02 PM
Zooks527's Avatar
Zooks527 Zooks527 is online now
Winding up the M235xi
Location: Mansfield, MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,780
Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma
You're good. My 335 used to use 0.5 qt every 7500 miles. My 235 has yet to need a top-up in 35000 miles (changes every 5000 miles).
__________________
2015 M235xi coupe, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather, Fineline Stream trim, Steptronic, xDrive, ZPP, ZTP, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, 5DP, hk w/ BimmerTech amp, Enh. BT
Ordered 3/12/15, Off the line 4/7/15, Delivered 5/14/15




Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 AM
marcozandrini marcozandrini is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,505
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You're good. My 335 used to use 0.5 qt every 7500 miles. My 235 has yet to need a top-up in 35000 miles (changes every 5000 miles).


The M54 engine, especially the 3 liter version, drinks oil like crazy. My 2001 330Ci used to go through a quart of Mobil 1 0W40 in 500 miles!! I installed an oil catch can and the oil consumption dropped to zero. Why? Those engines have a crankcase ventilation (CCV) system designed by an engineer who’d been fired by Audi (imho).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 AM
eksath eksath is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,113
Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
The M54 engine, especially the 3 liter version, drinks oil like crazy. My 2001 330Ci used to go through a quart of Mobil 1 0W40 in 500 miles!! I installed an oil catch can and the oil consumption dropped to zero. Why? Those engines have a crankcase ventilation (CCV) system designed by an engineer who'd been fired by Audi (imho).
Yep. I need to keep an oil tanker nearby for a regular hit for my 330CI (235K miles).
what is an oil catch can? I need that. :-)
__________________

2002 ED E46 330CI
2018 PDC Awaiting date
Truth comes in three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently attacked. Then it becomes self evident.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2017, 03:41 PM
marcozandrini marcozandrini is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,505
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksath View Post
Yep. I need to keep an oil tanker nearby for a regular hit for my 330CI (235K miles).
what is an oil catch can? I need that. :-)


Basically, an oil catch can (OCC) replaces the CCV. I installed my OCC in the drug bin on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I ran a hose to the outlet on the valve cover, and a hose to the air distribution manifold (item 5 in the link). I used the factory connector on the 2 CCV hoses and adapted them to the 1/2” hose. I added a pcv valve on the hose running from the air distribution manifold hose as the vacuum is about 25” of mercury (that’s a lot) without it. Without it you’ll get a zillion vacuum related codes! Ask me how I know. Check out threads on E46Fanatics on OCC. The OCC increases the vacuum in the crankcase.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2879

Also, there’s the o2pilot mod. Basically, the CCV body has an unused port. In the M54 engine that port has a cap on it. The cap is part 8 in the link. The mod runs a piece of vacuum hose from that port to an unused port on the back of the cylinder head. There are 3 unused ports there. This mod increases the vacuum level in the crankcase.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2194

My concern with the o2pilot mod is that your sending crap from the valve cover port into the combustion chamber via the intake. The OCC captures the crap (a yellow watery oily mix) that comes from the crankcase.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2017, 04:25 PM
DBU's Avatar
DBU DBU is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 914
Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
"drug bin" - love it
__________________
His: 2017 X4 M40i - Glacier Silver with all the options (except cold weather stuff - not needed in SoCal
Hers: 2015 X4 2.8i - Glacier Silver - loaded

For Sale: 2007 X3 3.0Si
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM
USA-RET's Avatar
USA-RET USA-RET is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SW Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 381
Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
My sales manager told me when I bought the car that oil consumption in mine would be almost nil. He mentioned that the bigger V8 BMW motors do drink copious amounts of oil. Not so w/ the 6's and 4's.

Guessing he was right based upon your report.
__________________

Last edited by USA-RET; 12-05-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM
eksath eksath is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,113
Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Basically, an oil catch can (OCC) replaces the CCV. I installed my OCC in the drug bin on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I ran a hose to the outlet on the valve cover, and a hose to the air distribution manifold (item 5 in the link). I used the factory connector on the 2 CCV hoses and adapted them to the 1/2” hose. I added a pcv valve on the hose running from the air distribution manifold hose as the vacuum is about 25” of mercury (that’s a lot) without it. Without it you’ll get a zillion vacuum related codes! Ask me how I know. Check out threads on E46Fanatics on OCC. The OCC increases the vacuum in the crankcase.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2879

Also, there’s the o2pilot mod. Basically, the CCV body has an unused port. In the M54 engine that port has a cap on it. The cap is part 8 in the link. The mod runs a piece of vacuum hose from that port to an unused port on the back of the cylinder head. There are 3 unused ports there. This mod increases the vacuum level in the crankcase.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2194

My concern with the o2pilot mod is that your sending crap from the valve cover port into the combustion chamber via the intake. The OCC captures the crap (a yellow watery oily mix) that comes from the crankcase.
That is awesome. Thank you for all the info. Definitely looking into this.
__________________

2002 ED E46 330CI
2018 PDC Awaiting date
Truth comes in three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently attacked. Then it becomes self evident.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.