7/70,000K timing chain warranty. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 328i
7/70,000K timing chain warranty.

Just to let everyone know BMW has added a 7 year 70,000 mile warranty on the timing chains that continue to become stretched and break. Not much of a relief to n20 owners since most break after 70K but if they fail before then, warranty should cover it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 328i
I forgot the model years, but I know the older models were definitely covered. 2012-2014
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz
I have been reading with interest this issue on the timing chains with the N20 engine. When BMW released the latest version of the 2.0 4 cylinder B48 (2017, 2018), I'm assuming that the timing chain set up was re-designed, because of what was happening with the N20. Is that right?

Last edited by Dennis03; 10-17-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive
I believe the N20's (N26) produced after a certain month in early 2015 already had the re-designed timing chain set up. Although I'm not exactly sure what month.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i xDrive
Does anyone know the percentage of N20's affected? Is this a widespread issue or is it relatively rare?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435 Grand Coupe MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudalid View Post
Does anyone know the percentage of N20's affected? Is this a widespread issue or is it relatively rare?
I have zero idea... but can infer from the increased warranty on an entire batch of cars, that this is not a "rare" problem. If it was, they would just handle it "one off" style.
2016 435 Grand Coupe Estoril Blue MSport |Hex. EB Trim-Blk. Dakota | MSoort | Technology | Drivers Asst. | Drivers Assist+|Lighting |Track Pack W/ 442 Wheels |Heated Frnt Seats | Smartphone Integration | HK Stereo (His)

2016 X5 XDrive35d Space Grey |Blk Dakota W/ Fineline Oak | MSport | Lighting Pack | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | ACC W Stop N Go | 20" Wheels| Smartphone Integration | Multi Contour Seats | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341
Old 10-17-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
I have zero idea... but can infer from the increased warranty on an entire batch of cars, that this is not a "rare" problem. If it was, they would just handle it "one off" style.
I DO NOT know if this is true, but read elsewhere that a class action lawsuit has recently been initiated against BMW for this N20 timing chain issue. I have read in horror, where some of these timing chain issues created a total engine loss and the cost to replace the engine was anywhere between $14K and $28K. For some of the older model year cars that cost was more than the value of the entire car and the car was simply scrapped. Yikes! I really hope the replacement B48 engine that is now in BMW's does not develop problems.

Last edited by Dennis03; 10-17-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis03 View Post
I DO NOT know if this is true, but read elsewhere that a class action lawsuit has recently been initiated against BMW for this N20 timing chain issue. I have read in horror, where some of these timing chain issues created a total engine loss and the cost to replace the engine was anywhere between $14K and $28K. For some of the older model year cars that cost was more than the value of the entire car and the car was simply scrapped. Yikes! I really hope the replacement B48 engine that is now in BMW's does not develop problems.
BMW engineers are so confident about B48/B58 that, now the timing chain is at the back of the engine, so any issue with timing chain needs to remove the engine first.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Do we have any way of confirming:
1. That BMW extended warranty to cover timing chain problems on certain model years
2. That a class action lawsuit was filed. Where filed and by who.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
1. That BMW extended warranty to cover timing chain problems on certain model years
On item 1, check out this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...641&highlight=

post#30 has the list of all affected units(it is a long list).
Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Agreed. First TSB, but if it's more widespread, they extend the warranty or recall the car.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Agreed. First TSB, but if it's more widespread, they extend the warranty or recall the car.
And BMWNA did extended the warranty to 7-yr/70k-mile.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
I did some brief internet research and found a class action lawsuit that may appear to have been a reason for the recently extended warranty for the N20 engine. But I DO NOT know if there is a different class action lawsuit.

https://defectiveconsumerproducts.wo...onent-failure/
Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
BMW engineers are so confident about B48/B58 that, now the timing chain is at the back of the engine, so any issue with timing chain needs to remove the engine first.
Totally agree with you . The good news is that it appears that BMW has created a modular engine family that the B48 is a part of. The B38 is the 3 cylinder version (for the Mini), the B48 is the 4 cylinder version and the B58 is the 6 cylinder version. In doing some research ALL of these BMW engines SHARE many internal engine components in an effort to save production costs. So knowing that these engines would be so widespread throughout the company, hopefully BMW took great care in the engine/parts design to avoid things like this N20 timing chain issue from happening again (fingers crossed!).
Old 10-19-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Totally agree with you . The good news is that it appears that BMW has created a modular engine family that the B48 is a part of. The B38 is the 3 cylinder version (for the Mini), the B48 is the 4 cylinder version and the B58 is the 6 cylinder version. In doing some research ALL of these BMW engines SHARE many internal engine components in an effort to save production costs. So knowing that these engines would be so widespread throughout the company, hopefully BMW took great care in the engine/parts design to avoid things like this N20 timing chain issue from happening again (fingers crossed!).
There was a similar issue with N47(diesel), and that engine's timing chain is at the back:

Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
There was a similar issue with N47(diesel), and that engine's timing chain is at the back:

You are definitely correct, I saw that too when I did the brief research on the N20 timing chain issue. My only hope with the B48 is that since so many internal engine parts are now shared in this fairly new modular engine family, that BMW did a better job of designing the parts. When I researched this, I discovered that 60% of ALL the engine parts are now shared among ALL BMW gasoline engines. Even 40% of the internal engine parts are shared with the BMW diesel engines. That means that these engine parts are in many more vehicles, which opens BMW up to a much bigger issue if a problem develops with a particular part. So I just hope that forced BMW to put more emphasis on the design of the parts. Of course there is no guarantee that some type of problem might develop, it's just a hope at this point (fingers crossed!)

Last edited by Dennis03; 10-19-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You are definitely correct, I saw that too when I did the brief research on the N20 timing chain issue. My only hope with the B48 is that since so many internal engine parts are now shared in this fairly new modular engine family, that BMW did a better job of designing the parts. When I researched this, I discovered that 60% of ALL the engine parts are now shared among ALL BMW gasoline engines. Even 40% of the internal engine parts are shared with the BMW diesel engines. That means that these engine parts are in many more vehicles, which opens BMW up to a much bigger issue if a problem develops with a particular part. So I just hope that forced BMW to put more emphasis on the design of the parts. Of course there is no guarantee that some type of problem might develop, it's just a hope at this point (fingers crossed!)
60% and 40% are very interesting, it does suggest BMW can focus R&D efforts into common denominators and can potentially improve engine reliability.

At the same time that also means all(?) B engines with modular design will have timing chains at the back, and accessibility and serviceability are not high on BMW engineer's wishlist.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Just got my letter today. It's useless for me since I have an extended warranty to 100K anyway. Plus, I'm already at 72K miles.

I'm hoping I won't have to keep the car beyond 100K, but if I do, I hope the timing chain doesn't give just as I go past 100K!

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 73K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014

Last edited by mr_clueless; 12-05-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Just got my letter today. It's useless for me since I have an extended warranty to 100K anyway. Plus, I'm already at 72K miles.

I'm hoping I won't have to keep the car beyond 100K, but if I do, I hope the timing chain doesn't give just as I go past 100K!
Mine is past 50k, the shiny patches are growing, but there seems to be no high pitch whine yet.

BTW, the local foreman diagnosed the high pitch whine on another F30 at the service bay while my car was dropped off for oil change.

That whine was quite loud, so it will not be missed easily for those who pay attention. And local indy says it will be a $2k job if caught early enough.

Last edited by namelessman; 12-05-2017 at 10:33 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search